Fullbuster

Diversity in top films misrepresents U.S. population

I don't force my view onto anyone. I'm not holding a gun to anyones head. 

The problem with screaming about the lack of, i dunno, Hispanic lead actors is that you are bitching about the symptom while not looking at the cause. It's like getting told your blood pressure is high, so you get angry at your blood as you chow down on another Big Mac. 

And while we group people together for convenience don't make the mistake that minorities are just one big group think. There will be people from minority groups who agree with you, there will be people from minority groups who agree with me, and there will be people from minority groups who think we are both full of shit. People are individuals with their own thoughts and beliefs and values. I'm not telling minorities anything, I am communicating my own beliefs and values.

It's you that started with "MINORITIES" lumped all together as one group so don't start twisting. You're communicating your own values, yes, that's what you did but forced upon minorities as a whole group saying "Minorities having a teary over something unimportant" like a common generality. Something that YOU don't find important therefore minorities shouldn't have a teary over something YOU don't find important.

Why didn't you start posting the above post explaining your views instead?

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

It's you that started with "MINORITIES" lumped all together as one group so don't start twisting. You 're communicating your own values, yes, that's what you did but forced upon minorities as a whole group saying "Minorities having a teary over something unimportant". Something that YOU don't find important therefore they shouldn't have a teary over something YOU don't find important.

Yes I was being sensationalist. And yes I was wrong to be so flippant in grouping them together. So I apologize to any minority who does not have a teary over every tiny little thing. It was wrong of me to group you together with those who do and it is equally possible that someone in the majority could be having a teary over every little tiny thing as well. It was just a quick throw away line before I headed out of the house and thus did not have the appropriate level of thought placed into it. I am truly sorry for that.

So with that I would like to officially change my original statement to.

There are three things that are certainties in this world, Death, Taxes, and Social Justice Warriors having a teary over something unimportant.

Edited by Spottswoode
  • Like 1

So you don't vilify white people with similar views to your own but you do call people out for being white who don't agree with your views. Sounds rather Uncle Tom like there.

As for not wanting color in films....Here is a quote from me from about 2 years ago in the Bond thread on if he should change ethnicity.

"My personal feelings are that there is nothing about Bond that makes him inherently white. He was white when he was created because black people simply wouldn't had been likely to succeed within an organisation like MI6. Of course this is 2012 and colour has no barrier for entry these days and hence Bond could be any colour you could think of as long as he acted British.

Doesn't mean the next Bond should be Black, it just depends on who is the best man for the job. "

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/6554-do-you-want-to-see-james-bond-portrayed-with-a-different-ethnicity/page-4

I have no problem with their being more diversity in the cinema. That is not my beef here.

Anndddd you twist my words again. I dont care who you are, but its mainly only whites in here who have the problem. If Dash was disagreeing, I'd have to debate him. Hes black. Or if Cochofles said what youre saying, I'd still call her out. Shes a girl. Stop acting like im using your race as a whip to your back. No im using your views as one.

And if you actually read my posts, you wouldve seen I said the same thing...How about you click this link and reread my post.

http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/15845-diversity-in-top-films-misrepresents-us-population/?p=1619870

If you dont understand what im saying then whatever. BvS just got moved and thats a lot more fun then us going back and forth, back and forth.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 2

Anndddd you twist my words again. I dont care who you are, but its mainly only whites in here who have the problem. If Dash was disagreeing, I'd have to debate him. Hes black. Or if Cochofles said what youre saying, I'd still call her out. Shes a girl. Stop acting like im using your race as a whip to your back. No im using your views as one.And if you actually read my posts, you wouldve seen I said the same thing...How about you click this link and reread my post.http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/15845-diversity-in-top-films-misrepresents-us-population/?p=1619870If you dont understand what im saying then whatever. BvS just got moved and thats a lot more fun then us going back and forth, back and forth.

These were your own words.

Oh look another white male.Oh look another white make. Not surprised to see you though after your blackface comments.Oh look another white male. Hey werent you in the blackface thread as well? Sup bud! I "have no life" so yeah, but how are you?White male perhaps?Whats up my duud! How the white life?

You replied to 5 different people in one post. Myself, Jessie, Harpospoke, mattmav45 and Ozymandis, responding to each one of us in turn not debating the quality of our argument, but on the content of our skin. Those are your words, and I post them again so people can decide on their own if I am twisting them or not. 

• Like 3

These were your own words. You replied to 5 different people in one post. Myself, Jessie, Harpospoke, mattmav45 and Ozymandis, responding to each one of us in turn not debating the quality of our argument, but on the content of our skin. Those are your words, and I post them again so people can decide on their own if I am twisting them or not.

1. I made the same exact point as your Bond quote. You know it.2. Everyone I replied to had something ignorant to say or wanted to make an unfunny sarcastic joke. And surprisingly you all were white males. Thats not my fault.But whatever, we both basically had the same view, but I knew you werent gonna see it and say "yeah, then why are we arguing?", but instead say "but look, you bashed us white guys!"Im done. Back to the BvS thread.

1. I made the same exact point as your Bond quote. You know it.2. Everyone I replied to had something ignorant to say or wanted to make an unfunny sarcastic joke. And surprisingly you all were white males. Thats not my fault.But whatever, we both basically had the same view, but I knew you werent gonna see it and say "yeah, then why are we arguing?", but instead say "but look, you bashed us white guys!"Im done. Back to the BvS thread.

Since you desperately seem to want me to reply to your initial posting. In my eyes we have completely different reasonings even if our conclusions can sometimes align.

My point in my post was that race does not matter. There is nothing inherently white about the character Bond and therefore he should be played by the best actor available regardless of his skin color. Very consistent with my views that I have posted in this thread that I do not think skin color should matter.

You seem to be of the opinion that race very much matters. You argue for example that, BVS has great casting because it has a white, black, salmon and middle easterner in the same cast. I would argue that its casting is great if, and only if the actors fit the roles in question. I personally don't care if its an all white, or all black, or all asian cast as long as the best people for the roles are selected. That is where I feel we differ and why I don't consider our points to be the same.

Enjoy the BvS thread.

• Like 1

Since you desperately seem to want me to reply to your initial posting. In my eyes we have completely different reasonings even if our conclusions can sometimes align.You seem to be of the opinion that race very much matters. You argue for example that, BVS has great casting because it has a white, black, salmon and middle easterner in the same cast. I would argue that its casting is great if, and only if the actors fit the roles in question. I personally don't care if its an all white, or all black, or all asian cast as long as the best people for the roles are selected. That is where I feel we differ and why I don't consider our points to be the same.Enjoy the BvS thread.

Sorry, couldnt resist, because you twist my words. My quote from my post - "Diversity is a good thing. I love Avengers, but the cast is pretty much all white, even with the 4-5 new additions. Do I want Falcon or War Machine or BP thrown in just to put some color in? Or Ms Marvel put in just to add another female? No. But you have to admit, they could get a little more creative. BVS will have a white, black, samoan, and middle easterner in the main cast. And why is that okay? Because theyre all bringing something to the table, rather than being thrown in to satisfy color quotas. Thats how all movies need to be. Dont give me all white rangers in the PR reboot, and then make Zordan black so no one will complain. Give a wide range of actors a chance. Bing Bing was only in TF4 just to please China and "the liberals", because other than that the cast wouldve been all white. Dont put people in just for the sake of it. "Yeah...I dont see where I said the bolded. What I did say tho was that its good that DC is showing a more diversified approach. I'd still take Downey Jr, Ruffalo, Renner, and Johansson together over Affleck, Gadot, Mamoa, and Caville together any day. So again, you mistake my words.And what did I say? "Thats a good thing because theyre all bringing something to the table." I did not say "thats good because DC cares and isnt only casting white people." And the second half of that, again, is exactly what you said. I didnt say "dont make all white Power Rangers because thats racist." I said "dont make all white Power Rangers because a Power Ranger can be any color, so therefore the casting directors should really look around and find the best actors for it."And then I said "thats how all movies need to be." Which translates to "dont make people something for the hell of it. Dont make a black James Bond just for the shock value or dont put a Mexican person in LOTR just so theres a Mexican character. Only have these things if theyre cherry to the story." Which looks like what you said. Therefore we arent that far apart.Ps, I never cared if you replied or not. What I said was, "if you wanted to debate, you shouldve replied." I did not say "Spottswoodle, are you ever going to reply to my post or what?" I gave you a link and told you to read my post. I never said "go reread my post and then reply." So, yeah. Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 3

You know what's funny? How predictable the ignorant people are.

I mean, I've seen posts in other threads over the years and you just knew who would be coming in to make a snarky, ignorant bullshit quote.

I don't think this thread has offered up any surprises on that side of the line, and that is predictable. It's good that there is a clear segment of people who are like that but they don't grow. I mean, it'd be better if there weren't any at all, but at least they're the same trolls. 

The world is getting more racist and all other kinds of -ists. Modern world they described it as. Lack of education is killing the world. 

• Like 1

Sorry, couldnt resist, because you twist my words. My quote from my post -

"Diversity is a good thing. I love Avengers, but the cast is pretty much all white, even with the 4-5 new additions. Do I want Falcon or War Machine or BP thrown in just to put some color in? Or Ms Marvel put in just to add another female? No. But you have to admit, they could get a little more creative. BVS will have a white, black, samoan, and middle easterner in the main cast. And why is that okay? Because theyre all bringing something to the table, rather than being thrown in to satisfy color quotas. Thats how all movies need to be. Dont give me all white rangers in the PR reboot, and then make Zordan black so no one will complain. Give a wide range of actors a chance. Bing Bing was only in TF4 just to please China and "the liberals", because other than that the cast wouldve been all white. Dont put people in just for the sake of it. "

Yeah...I dont see where I said the bolded. What I did say tho was that its good that DC is showing a more diversified approach. I'd still take Downey Jr, Ruffalo, Renner, and Johansson together over Affleck, Gadot, Mamoa, and Caville together any day. So again, you mistake my words.

And what did I say? "Thats a good thing because theyre all bringing something to the table." I did not say "thats good because DC cares and isnt only casting white people."

And the second half of that, again, is exactly what you said. I didnt say "dont make all white Power Rangers because thats racist." I said "dont make all white Power Rangers because a Power Ranger can be any color, so therefore the casting directors should really look around and find the best actors for it."

And then I said "thats how all movies need to be." Which translates to "dont make people something for the hell of it. Dont make a black James Bond just for the shock value or dont put a Mexican person in LOTR just so theres a Mexican character. Only have these things if theyre cherry to the story." Which looks like what you said. Therefore we arent that far apart.

Ps, I never cared if you replied or not. What I said was, "if you wanted to debate, you shouldve replied." I did not say "Spottswoodle, are you ever going to reply to my post or what?" I gave you a link and told you to read my post. I never said "go reread my post and then reply." So, yeah.

So if I misinterpreted your post and you agree with my position that race shouldn't matter then I congratulate you for being on the right side of an argument for a change!

Posted Image

• Like 1

I mean, I've seen posts in other threads over the years and you just knew who would be coming in to make a snarky, ignorant bullshit quote.

I don't think this thread has offered up any surprises on that side of the line, and that is predictable. It's good that there is a clear segment of people who are like that but they don't grow. I mean, it'd be better if there weren't any at all, but at least they're the same trolls. 

The world is getting more racist and all other kinds of -ists. Modern world they described it as. Lack of education is killing the world. 

No-ones trolling and kno-one is being racist so stop trying to put gas on the fire ;)

• Like 2

Asian movies lack white people a lot.

Probably less White people in asia so no point in catering to the audiences. there is a lot of purely black movies though, especially ones starring Kevin Hart, seriously every white person in Ride Along was there only to be a villain lol. Doesn't bother me though, I find Kevin Hart hilarious. Then there's Tyler Perry.  

• Like 2

Anndddd you twist my words again. I dont care who you are, but its mainly only whites in here who have the problem. If Dash was disagreeing, I'd have to debate him. Hes black. Or if Cochofles said what youre saying, I'd still call her out. Shes a girl. Stop acting like im using your race as a whip to your back. No im using your views as one.And if you actually read my posts, you wouldve seen I said the same thing...How about you click this link and reread my post.http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/15845-diversity-in-top-films-misrepresents-us-population/?p=1619870If you dont understand what im saying then whatever. BvS just got moved and thats a lot more fun then us going back and forth, back and forth.

BvS got moved.  Why the fuck am I reading through this thread?

Actually the world is getting less racist, less sexist, less homophobic, less violent.

• Like 5

BvS got moved.  Why the fuck am I reading through this thread?

I don't know DeeCee, we love watching train wrecks :P

Or creating them

:ph34r:

Actually the world is getting less racist, less sexist, less homophobic, less violent.

Ssssshhhh, that's our little secret.

Edited by Spottswoode
  • Like 2

LMAO.

You can't possibly believe the world is getting more racist.  About 150 years ago something called the Civil War was going on.  You think the world is getting more racist from that?

The only thing that's happening is the agenda-driven media is out of control.  The media uses gullible sheep to get ratings and tries to find racism in any way, shape, or form.  

It's amusing how people don't correlate the media's rise with all these issues all of a sudden "getting worse."

Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1