Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

9 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why didn't the family audience that doesn't care about reviews show up for Tomorrowland?

A bit of an hard concept to sell I imagine, but they still showed more than for the very well reviewed Pete Dragon, BFG, Kubos.

Boss Baby, Home, made way more than the Paddington, would be curious for the correlation between reviews and opening weekend box office for the genre. 

It could be mostly true that both young kids and the grand parents buyer are not the rotten tomatoes audience, Minions went above the billion after all.

• Like 2

lmao guys. OF COURSE Tomorrowland is a family movie. It’s a freaking Disney picture with all sorts of silly gadgets, theme park-like futuristic city, starring a teenager and a child sidekick, visually bright and loaded with humor. 

MCU is targeted to families as well btw.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Goffe said:

lmao guys. OF COURSE Tomorrowland is a family movie. It’s a freaking Disney picture with all sorts of silly gadgets, theme park-like futuristic city, starring a teenager and a child sidekick, visually bright and loaded with humor. 

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-box-office-memorial-day-weekend-tomorrowland-pitch-perfect-2-mad-max-poltergeist-avengers-20150525-story.html

As expected, families flocked to the film, making up about 35% of moviegoers. Surveys show no skewing along gender lines.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-tomorrowland-faces-bleak-797841

Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis said that while the opening was disappointing, he believes Tomorrowland will begin to galvanize the family audience, noting that it's the only PG title until next month. 

Disney made family movie only for a good while now (distributed some non family movie by the end of some deal like Light Between Oceans/Bridge of Spies) but a non family Disney movie ? None since The Finest Hours in 2016 maybe ? That their very business model, to the point they used different brand if they ever released non family movie.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Hmm, guess we saw a different film?

Disney tried to get families on board with TL. I mean they had to have someone show up to the film. It is not a movie that successfully appealed to the family market though. The kid sidekick you mentioned is probably the only thing in there that worked at all for the kid audience. As evidenced by its box office when it didn't have any other family aimed films out there. 

MCU is 4 quad targeted, lmfao if you're going to argue otherwise. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-box-office-memorial-day-weekend-tomorrowland-pitch-perfect-2-mad-max-poltergeist-avengers-20150525-story.html

As expected, families flocked to the film, making up about 35% of moviegoers. Surveys show no skewing along gender lines.

Wait, TL only had a 35% family split? Even I didn't think it would have been that low. Wow, it really didn't appeal to them. 

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hmm, guess we saw a different film?

Disney tried to get families on board with TL.

Just because something failed doesn't mean it wasn't intended.  I mean, maybe you're right and it was a bad bet from the start.  But there's no shortage of bad bets in the history of Hollywood.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Wait, TL only had a 35% family split? Even I didn't think it would have been that low. Wow, it really didn't appeal to them. 

Is it low ?

Coco:A third of those who took in Coco attended with an adult family member, while 21% of all ticket buyers took a child family member. 

Daddy Home 2 during the holidays:

Exit polls showed a growth in families attending, moving from 18% to 35%

Guardian of the Galaxy 2: 19% (really strong for the SH genre, because of baby groot, racoon, etc...) 

How much are they usually doing ? I have and hard time finding much data.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just because something failed doesn't mean it wasn't intended.  I mean, maybe you're right and it was a bad bet from the start.  But there's no shortage of bad bets in the history of Hollywood.

Disney's brand name has built in family appeal. Obviously they can use  that to their advantage if all else fails as far as who a movie is for. Maybe TL's script originally wasn't intended for a younger audience at all, and they demanded some reworks, thereby resulting in a film that feels like it was made for no one. All I know is the movie definitely doesn't seem like it knows who it was made for. Even the marketing wasn't effective at appealing to families. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Maybe TL's script originally wasn't intended for a younger audience at all, and they demanded some reworks, thereby resulting in a film that feels like it was made for no one

I think I maybe watch the commentary or some making off for that movie and it got some rework, including in post, the movie was shot with a mom for example that was cut from the movei during the post-production, making the death mom narrative not fully well played and other change. You could be right.

• Like 1