iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#31: Fantasia (1940) - 414 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A collection of animated interpretations of great works of Western classical music.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Fantasia is the oldest film in the Top 100 so far, made in 1940. There are two even older films on this list, I'm sure you can guess which ;)

IMDB trivia:

Even after sixty years Disney receives complaints from parents claiming the "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence terrified their children.

BOF User Review
My favorite animation movie of all time, and in my top 10 ever. Probably it is not technically the best and many modern movies are already better than this, but the magic that surrounds this movie has not been unmatched. WALL-E is the only one that can reach its level, but this was first. For me, an absolute masterpiece. A++
-peludo, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 14

The Jungle Book is one film I don't get the love for. I feel like the more laid back tone rubs me the wrong way in the context of the story.

Kaa is awesome, though. It'll be funny to see how a 62-year old voice actor's work is then compared to ScarJo and Blanchett in the next two years. :P

Make no mistakes people, half of the movies on this list are gonna be remade in live action/cgi by Hollywood in the coming decades.We have two Jungle Books, one Tarzan, one Peter Pan, one Cinderella,already in production and I may have forgotten some.Be ready for beauty and the beast, aladdin, lion king etc etc

• Like 1

#30: The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) - 417 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: Stop Motion

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Jack Skellington, king of Halloweentown, discovers Christmas Town, but doesn't quite understand the concept.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Nightmare Before Christmas is actually the highest ranking stop motion film, I was wrong about Wallace and Gromit whoops. Congrats to the film for topping the animation style.

IMDB trivia:

In 2001, Walt Disney Pictures began to consider producing a sequel, but rather than using stop motion, Disney wanted to use computer animation. Tim Burton convinced Disney to drop the idea. "I was always very protective of [Nightmare] not to do sequels or things of that kind," Burton explained. "You know, 'Jack visits Thanksgiving world' or other kinds of things just because I felt the movie had a purity to it and the people that like it," Burton said.

BOF User Review
A+

One of my favorite Tim Burton movies and one I watch every Halloween. 
A modern classic for sure and I for one would love to re-vist Jack and company. 
-Captain Craig, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 20

#29: The Iron Giant (1999) - 429 Points

Country of origin: USA

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A boy makes friends with an innocent alien giant robot that a paranoid government agent wants to destroy.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Iron Giant ranks in the top 30! It's the lowest grossing film worldwide in the top 30, and if you don't count the foreign films coming up, it's also the lowest grossing domestically. Talk about a cult classic.

IMDB trivia:

Excluding the yells and groans, The Iron Giant only said a total of 53 words.

BOF Blurb:

Spaghetti:

A warm animated tale, departing from the Animated Musical formula of the 90s and instead seeing inspiration in 1950s American Culture and the charm of Steven Spielberg, who knew that such a simple story, one that wasn't even completely original, could be so heartfelt and wonderful. Like many other films on my list, it's a tale of growing up and letting go, also slipping in some commentary on the perversion warfare and weaponry. It's a film that will make you laugh, cry, and remember what it was like to be a child like Hogarth. Who'd have guessed that one of the most loved Animated films of our time was a box office flop!

BOF User Review
Forgot how much I loved this movie. Very enjoyable, funny, and sophisticated for the time. Tear-jerking too at the end. A
-Blankments, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 17

#28: The Prince of Egypt (1998) - 433 Points

Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
An Egyptian prince learns of his identity as a Hebrew and, later his destiny to become the chosen deliverer of his people.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Prince of Egypt is the only 2D Dreamworks film in the Top 100. The Road to El Dorado barely missed out at #105, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron ranked #116, and ranked #202. 

IMDB trivia:

The voice of God, to avoid controversy, was played by all the major actors. The actors were told to whisper the lines, so none would dominate the performance, but by the time they got around to having Val Kilmer read his lines, they realized they needed someone to be louder. You still can hear the rest of the cast whispering beneath Kilmer's voice in God's lines.

BOF Blurb:

Spaghetti:

This is a film that not only shows you how Biblical tales are done right, but it shines in its own regard in several ways. Sporting a more serious and epic tone that most animated films eschewed at the time, it feels fresh and amazing, boasting gorgeous visuals (The Red Sea Parting is one of the most stunning scenes in any Animated films), wonderful music from Stephen Schwartz, and a surprisingly complex plotline, especially in depicting the relationship of Moses and Ramses. I'd love to see more animated films today, especially from major studios, go for a more serious route as this film has, because if done right, it can pay off gloriously.

BOF User Review
Amazing movie, definitely an A. The music's great, I love the portrayals, the animation is great (ESPECIALLY the Red Sea and the Burning Bush).
-FrozenUnicorn, 2014

Posted Image

A few extra gifs because this movie is so beautiful  :wub:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 12