Very interesting list for Germany releases:

http://www.insidekino.com/DJahr/DAlltime3D.htm

It seems to me that - if people were free to choose - the 3D-share would probably be in the 60% range for most releases.There are some must-see-in-3D movies - Avatar or Gravity come to mind - but in most cases 3D shares >60% result from distributors and theater managers keeping the evening 2D-free.

• Like 2

I have a feeling 3D shares in the UK are very low on average. Most films lose all 3D screenings after 2/3 weeks unless it's really raking it in with the format (last one to stay permanently in 3D was Gravity). We started to fall off the 3D bandwagon around 2012 I think (a year after the US). Most of the time I only watch movies in 3D at the theatre if it's the only convenient time for me, thus only Godzilla, Dragons 2 and Spidey were seen in 3D by Schumacher this summer.

I get really angry when the only 2D showing for a movie I want to see is at like 3:15. No! I want to see a movie, at 7:30, in 2D!

Gotta say though that yea, there are some times where I really did like the 3D (Avatar, Gravity, Guardians, even Amazing Spider-Man 2)

• Like 1

This is why megaplexes are a godsend - any movie with 3D has another screen playing the 2D. (As far as the more local 6-7 screen multiplexes, Regal Crow Canyon usually dedicates 2 screens to the big 3D release (one in 2D), while the Century Blackhawk Plaza likes to put the film on one screen and alternate 3D and 2D showtimes...)I am happy that 3D declined in the USA just as my interest did - I have never had any difficulty finding a 2D showing. (Except for IMAX - I wish more movies did what Man of Steel did and shut off the 3D for one showing per day. I will stop there, because otherwise this will turn into a five-paragraph IMAX rant.)

Edited by TServo2049

Very interesting list for Germany releases:

http://www.insidekino.com/DJahr/DAlltime3D.htm

It seems to me that - if people were free to choose - the 3D-share would probably be in the 60% range for most releases.There are some must-see-in-3D movies - Avatar or Gravity come to mind - but in most cases 3D shares >60% result from distributors and theater managers keeping the evening 2D-free.

This is why I dislike the snobbish notion that OS audiences love 3D. Half the time we have to choose between that or nothing, and when there are 2D showings they're either at inconvenient times or in small screens.

• Like 2

Yep. Atm GotG are playing in 2 theaters in my town, each with 3 shows a day, and all 6 shows are in 3D. Means our 3D share is 100%, so obviously we're crazy for the format. :wacko:

In spring, before "Noah" opened, I saw that there was not a single 2D show here, so first I mailed Paramount Austria, suspecting the distributor. Thre wrote back that, of course, Noah gets distributed in every format the theater manager wants, so next I mailed the managers here. Reaction: In the first weeks, they decided to only show it in 3D, but later in its run I will be able to catch a 2D showing. Nice. After a few weeks Noah (3D) disappeared from the screens without having experienced a single 2D show. Same thing for Captain America 2. So I had to wait for the BD release to catch Cap2 and Noah.

From my experience Germans are very geeky and they like gimmicks. 3D share in other countires will probably be lower.

Yep it varies there are countries where 3d is still doing quite well across board and others where it's declined in big way with exceptions (like a gravity) and animated has seen biggest overall decline to the extent in some places you might as well not bother at allTheatres have big expense to add 3d to a screen for starters needs to be silver screen if not screen has to be replaced also projector upgrade is needed and then glasses Edited by Rth-TIFF
  • Like 1

Yep it varies there are countries where 3d is still doing quite well across board and others where it's declined in big way with exceptions (like a gravity) and animated has seen biggest overall decline to the extent in some places you might as well not bother at allTheatres have big expense to add 3d to a screen for starters needs to be silver screen if not screen has to be replaced also projector upgrade is needed and then glasses

I thought the switch to 3D was less economically damaging as it could have been though, given it sprung at the same point we transitioned from 35mm to Digital projection.

I thought the switch to 3D was less economically damaging as it could have been though, given it sprung at the same point we transitioned from 35mm to Digital projection.

Yes but not all screens are silver and the projector upgrade cost to run 3d from memory isn't cheap either, why a lot of multiplexes only have a few 3d capable screens
  • Like 1

Yep it varies there are countries where 3d is still doing quite well across board and others where it's declined in big way with exceptions (like a gravity) and animated has seen biggest overall decline to the extent in some places you might as well not bother at allTheatres have big expense to add 3d to a screen for starters needs to be silver screen if not screen has to be replaced also projector upgrade is needed and then glasses

In Poland the 3D dropped fast in last year. We had viewers thanking distributors for not releasing a movie in 3D. The share in some cases as low as <20%. 3D only works for select movies. 

I know 3D works in Russia though.