Impact

Weekend Prediction thread 8/23-8/25 Play the Derby

mahnamahna, I'm really curious to hear why you think Pixels is going to have strong late legs. Even if it opens big I don't know if the WOM will be there to sustain small drops.

1. Zero family-friendly competition (Shaun and Underdogs will combine for sub-$50 million DOM IMO) 
  2. Late August is typically a dead period, which allows the late July/early August tentpoles to hold decently if they're well-liked
  3. Pixels looks like a crowd-pleaser

And then lmao at Straight outta Compton.

Laugh all you want... but the buzz for it is huge. If it gets decent reviews, along with Universal's hot streak, a $45-50 million OW isn't that odd, especially since it could be extremely frontloaded. 

Compton being the highest grossing August release is my bold prediction for the month  :P

1. Pixels - 44.0M
  2. Paper Towns - 28.8M
  3. Ant-Man - 26.9M
  4. Minions - 19.7M
  5. Trainwreck - 19.3M
  6. Southpaw - 16.7M
  7. Inside Out - 7.2M
  8. Jurassic World - 6.9M
  9. Mr. Holmes - 3.4M
  10. Terminator: Genisys - 1.8M
  11. Magic Mike XXL - 1.8M
  12. The Vatican Tapes - 1.5M

1. Zero family-friendly competition (Shaun and Underdogs will combine for sub-$50 million DOM IMO) 
  2. Late August is typically a dead period, which allows the late July/early August tentpoles to hold decently if they're well-liked
  3. Pixels looks like a crowd-pleaser

F4 would suck up all the box office mojo left in August. If not that, Rogue Nation will do it.

Edited by zackzack

Laugh all you want... but the buzz for it is huge. If it gets decent reviews, along with Universal's hot streak, a $45-50 million OW isn't that odd, especially since it could be extremely frontloaded. 

Compton being the highest grossing August release is my bold prediction for the month  :P

Your OW prediction for Compton isn't ridiculous, but your predicted drops for it definitely are.

But my point is, it won't fourpeat, its extremely unlikely.

Your OW prediction for Compton isn't ridiculous, but your predicted drops for it definitely are.

I just don't think it'll be as front-loaded as some are expecting. Especially with it being the last compelling film for a good month until Black Mass/MR2/Everest. 

$50 million OW with a 3x-3.5x. Maybe 2x-2.5x if it doesn't get decent reviews. I do think it'll fly past $100 million DOM either way.

And my 3rd weekend and Labor Day drops definitely aren't ridiculous. I do agree that 2nd weekend is more like 55-60%, but 40-45% in the 3rd and 10-15% over Labor Day is definitely reasonable.  

F4 would suck up all the box office mojo left in August. If not that, Rogue Nation will do it.

F4 should open to $40 million... assuming a CBM typical 50-55% 2nd weekend drop... by the third weekend of August, F4 will barely be above $10 million.

Rogue Nation is also tracking at $40 million, so by the 3rd weekend of August, it should pretty much be sub-$10 million. 

Pixels' kid appeal gives it the best chance at staying power until Labor Day. I wouldn't be shocked by a $30-35 million OW on its way to a 4x-4.5x. 

I just don't think it'll be as front-loaded as some are expecting. Especially with it being the last compelling film for a good month until Black Mass/MR2/Everest. 

$50 million OW with a 3x-3.5x. Maybe 2x-2.5x if it doesn't get decent reviews. I do think it'll fly past $100 million DOM either way.

And my 3rd weekend and Labor Day drops definitely aren't ridiculous. I do agree that 2nd weekend is more like 55-60%, but 40-45% in the 3rd and 10-15% over Labor Day is definitely reasonable.  

F4 should open to $40 million... assuming a CBM typical 50-55% 2nd weekend drop... by the third weekend of August, F4 will barely be above $10 million.

Rogue Nation is also tracking at $40 million, so by the 3rd weekend of August, it should pretty much be sub-$10 million. 

Pixels' kid appeal gives it the best chance at staying power until Labor Day. I wouldn't be shocked by a $30-35 million OW on its way to a 4x-4.5x. 

Many families will not associate Sandler with family-friendly fares. But older teens would be drawn to this but then again, Rogue Nation & F4, being PG13, will be bigger draws than Pixels. Then again, I don't know, Pixels looks very different from other alien invasion movies. The playful tone will surely be a refreshing change for audience who are tired of spies, superheroes, and nefarious plotting.

• Like 1

Drive-in is Minions and Inside Out again.

Self/Less and Spy are gone. Drive-in is Pixels and Minions.

Ant-Man - 22/13/6 (2D/3D/IMAX 3D) total 41 (down 7)
Minions - 26/8 (2D/3D) total 34 (down 20)
Pixels - 14/3/7/3 (2D/2D with D-BOX/3D/3D with D-BOX) total 28 (debut)
Jurassic World - 16 (no change)
Paper Towns - 16 (debut)
Southpaw - 16 (debut)
Trainwreck - 16 (down 5)
Inside Out - 15 (down 1)
Mr. Holmes - 10 (debut)
Terminator Genisys - 7 (down 6)
The Gallows - 6 (down 6)
Ted 2 - 5 (down 3)
Magic Mike XXL - 4 (down 9)
Max - 3 (down 2)
  • Like 1

Love you to death man but you've become the male version of Shay.

i told folks furious 7 could be a billion dollar plus force and that jp world might beat everything because of nostalgia. So im no shay bishop. Me n baumets and others have been making some gut felt calls and statement why films are a winner and come out ontop for quite sometime now
  • Like 2