rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

Okay, I'm going to leave it early for today, because next up there are 4 big sci-fi films in a row and I want to do them all at once.

Feel free to take your guesses at what they might be.

Hmm...

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Inception

Children of Men

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

There's a difference between personal opinion and general consensus. You may personally love MoS, but that doesn't make it overall worthy of being one of the top 100 all-time greats (as in less than 100 films are higher quality than MoS) 

Certain blockbusters are generally considered worthy of being an all-time great:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
  2. Jaws
  3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  4. E.T.
  5. Jurassic Park
  6. Titanic (debatable) 
  7. The Dark Knight (debatable) 
  8. Toy Story or really any Pixar film during their golden streak
  9. The Lion King or any Disney Renaissance film (1989-1994... 1995-2000 is whatever  :P )
  10. LOTR Trilogy 

Putting MoS on here is like putting POTC 2 or the first Transformers on here. Sure, they're enjoyable blockbusters... but nothing more. There's no reason to consider them all-time greats. 

Think about all of the superhero films that rise above MoS that I wouldn't consider a true all-time great:

1. Batman (1989)
  2. Batman Begins
  3. The Dark Knight Rises
  4. Spider-Man
  5. Spider-Man 2
  6. X2
  7. Mystery Men
  8. Super
  9. The Incredibles
  10. Superman (1978)
  11. Captain America 2
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy
  13. The Avengers
  14. Iron Man 

Aside from The Dark Knight, there's not really a legtimate case for why any of those are among the 100 absolute greatest films ever made. Most of those are among the best blockbusters, but they're not true masterpieces. 

Why would MoS go in above them, most of Hitchcock's filmography or Citizen Kane? 

And saying Citizen Kane is unworthy of a top 100 films list is liking saying Shakespeare and Dickens aren't worthy of a top 100 pieces of literature list. 

Just saying, Transformers should be on here. Such a shame that it didn't make it.

And saying Citizen Kane is unworthy of a top 100 films list is liking saying Shakespeare and Dickens aren't worthy of a top 100 pieces of literature list.

I can certainly understand the need to have Citizen Kane on a top 100 list, but I've always respected Kane more than actually liking the film. But I will simply tip my cap

• Like 1

shakespeare isn't worthy of top 100 authors btw

You're right, Shakespeare wasn't an author he was a poet and playwright.

But his point is proven, for example how can you take a line from a Dickens novel like

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” 

And claim that it's bad writing?  You can't and still think your opinion is worthy to even be considered an opinion.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3

You're right, Shakespeare wasn't an author he was a poet and playwright.

But his point is proven, for example how can you take a line from a Dickens novel like

“It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.” 

And claim that it's bad writing?  You can't and still think your opinion is worthy to even be considered an opinion.

How can I claim it's bad writing? Simple, just like Hitchcock ripped off Nolan, so did Dickens. He blatantly stole that line from TDKR.

• Like 1

In fairness, I believe you can claim whatever you want. It's about whether or not you can back it up. I'm not a big fan of Se7en and The Usual Suspects, two films that are loved by most people. The thing is if I'm pressed, I can back up my opinion on The Usual Suspects. I can't back up my opinion on Se7en, mainly cause I saw it so long ago, at a time when I was trying to be the pretentious contrarian. The thing is that I can still make both of those statements, but the only one that has any validity or weight behind it is my statement on The Usual Suspects because I can back it up. So you can say that Shakespeare is a bad poet or that Dickens is a bad writer, but you need to back it up for those opinions to have any value to people other than yourself.

• Like 2

So, I'm thinking of watching a Hitchcock film, which one do you think I should start with?

I personally like Rope a lot, but its really not a good one to start with.  I'd go with Birds or North by Northwest.  Rear Window is good as well.