CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

He's not showing up. The panel will just be the Shazam and Black Adam casts, trailers for them, possibly the first official picture of Blue Beetle and an overall sizzle reel to start. Nothing more than that.

You’re all in on him not being anywhere near that panel lol, I love how confident you are. 

It’s gonna be brutal tomorrow when the panel ends and he’s nowhere to be found. 

6 minutes ago, cax16 said:

DC always plays second fiddle at comic con, this year is nothing new lol. Especially when they specifically said they were only showing their 2022 releases. I still think it would be cool to show a small sizzle reel of stuff coming next year and of course it would be great if Cavill was there but I think best case maybe something via video or whatever. 

I’d say they managed to win Comic Con back in 2013, when they announced that they were making a Batman and Superman movie. That was a big deal. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I’d say they managed to win Comic Con back in 2013, when they announced that they were making a Batman and Superman movie. That was a big deal. 

I guess ya, didn’t turn out to well for them though lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cax16 said:

You’re all in on him not being anywhere near that panel lol, I love how confident you are. 

If he shows up, then something MEGA happened in literally the last 24 hours. I wish I could go into why I am confident in him not being anywhere close (I like my job too much to even try and break an NDA), but literally everything till close of business today doesn't point anywhere near it.

11 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Such a genuinely happy video to watch. I was in the theater when this was happening so missed the live reaction, i was watching Pacific Rim IIRC.

Edited by grim22

I’m not expecting Cavill to ever return, but the idea of him coming back and fighting the Rock is just about the only thing that I think would justify keeping the DCEU around at this stage. The only things this franchise seems to have going for it are Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and I guess Margot Robbie, but we’re already seeing cracks in those. 

My personal opinion is that they should just focus on Matt Reeves’ Batman universe and getting a new Superman off the ground. The DCEU just feels like it’s limping along at this point.

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Disbelief 1

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

If he shows up, then something MEGA happened in literally the last 24 hours. I wish I could go into why I am confident in him not being anywhere close (I like my job too much to even try and break an NDA), but literally everything till close of business today doesn't point anywhere near it.

I trust what you’re saying, I just think it’s really sad that all these rumours got started and when it doesn’t happen social media is gonna be so toxic. 

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m not expecting Cavill to ever return, but the idea of him coming back and fighting the Rock is just about the only thing that I think would justify keeping the DCEU around at this stage. The only things this franchise seems to have going for it are Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa and I guess Margot Robbie, but we’re already seeing cracks in those. 

My personal opinion is that they should just focus on Matt Reeves’ Batman universe and getting a new Superman off the ground. The DCEU just feels like it’s limping along at this point.

I think people feel like this cause the Flash hasn’t released yet, once that happens they can start moving things along. I’m still thinking something happens and the flash and Aquaman switch dates, but we’ll see. 

7 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hmmm but why would Deadline pull such thing out of left field

1 hour ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Hmmm but why would Deadline pull such thing out of left field

Deadline didn't say it, Variety did...right?  (I didn't look up the original article, but someone here posted the text clip and claimed it was from Variety.)  And yes, if Variety's saying it, they're getting word from...someone connected. 

But like I said, all three major Hollywood trades are now owned by the same company, anyway!  😁

Edited by Macleod

My only question about the panel today is that when Cavill doesn't show up, will that finally end the "Cavill is returning as Superman" news cycle we seem to get once every few months.

I liked MoS and he would have definitely been something special if allowed to actually take that character forward but it's been a decade since that point and a clean break might benefit everyone.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My only question about the panel today is that when Cavill doesn't show up, will that finally end the "Cavill is returning as Superman" news cycle we seem to get once every few months.

No, because Cavill and Dwayne Johnson currently share the same manager...so the "potential business partnership" will continue to fuel speculation unless that changes!  😂  I agree with you on making a clean break, though...it's just that Warners doesn't seem to know what it wants, yet!  

Edited by Macleod

22 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I liked MoS and he would have definitely been something special if allowed to actually take that character forward but it's been a decade since that point and a clean break might benefit everyone.

I know this is probably  what’s happening but man I can’t say I’m not disappointed we haven’t got anything really on film with Superman lately. I love the TV show but I can’t lie, as hesitant as I was when I first saw the Cavill news earlier in the week I was still pretty hopeful it might actually happen lol. 

14 hours ago, cax16 said:

One of the few things I was genuinely confident about not happening. Maybe in 3 years' time I can go into more detail about why exactly I was so confident and didn't even hedge my predictions about him not being anywhere near the panel.

Would I have loved to be completely wrong and for Cavill to return? Hell yes. But I think that ship has sailed.

Edited by grim22
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One of the few things I was genuinely confident about not happening. Maybe in 3 years' time I can go into more detail about why exactly I was so confident and didn't even hedge my predictions about him not being anywhere near the panel.

Would I have loved to be completely wrong and for Cavill to return? Hell yes. But I think that ship has sailed.

I’m happy you said what you said cause it curbed any expectations I had so thanks. Obviously I’m disappointed cause I want more Superman stuff now but it seems like you’re right about Cavill, he’s done. 

Time to recast and move on. 

10 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’m happy you said what you said cause it curbed any expectations I had so thanks. Obviously I’m disappointed cause I want more Superman stuff now but it seems like you’re right about Cavill, he’s done. 

Time to recast and move on. 

Here's something I can tell you - WB Discovery didn't want to do SDCC this year for DC because of the entire company leadership being in flux post the merger. But The Rock gets what The Rock wants. Which is why we got the bare minimum with the New Line properties. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1