CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Gunn has an utterly fantastic read on an actors personal energy matching with what the character needs, and I love that they appear to going such a traditional route. That said...someone is gonna need to bring the star power somewhere. 

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Gunn has an utterly fantastic read on an actors personal energy matching with what the character needs, and I love that they appear to going such a traditional route. That said...someone is gonna need to bring the star power somewhere. 

Did you think it was going to be Jimmy Olsen

2 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Did you think it was going to be Jimmy Olsen

Chris Rock and Shia LaBuff were cast as Jimmy Olsen once upon a time...

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Chris Rock and Shia LaBuff were cast as Jimmy Olsen once upon a time...

Chris Rock was cast in the failed NICOLAS CAGE version. Shia was never actually cast, also this was when he was a NOBODY my dude. My god, lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Chris Rock was cast in the failed NICOLAS CAGE version. Shia was never actually cast, also this was when he was a NOBODY my dude. My god, lol

LaBuff was of Even Stevens and Holes fame.  He wasn't entirely unknown.

34 minutes ago, excel1 said:

LaBuff was of Even Stevens and Holes fame.  He wasn't entirely unknown.

He would've been about the same level as Skyler, lol. My dude is currently on Righteous Gemstones, was on Santa Clarita Diet, Booksmart. He's been around for a while, He's got a recognizable face, been on many TV things, so he would be recognized by most.

This screams fan casting to me. I doubt agents would be throwing that info around at such a sensitive time like this. This is unlike Jeff Sneider discovering a negotiation prior to the strikes like the Glover bros taking over screenwriting duties on Lando followed by all the trades confirming it, it’s MTSH’s troll account seeing a redhead white kid and saying yeah, this is a contender for Jimmy Olsen. Reminder that the same account said that Nicholas Hoult 100% had the Superman role over David Corenswet.

Reminder that a great Jimmy Olsen’s take doesn’t need him to necessarily be a redhead kid:

https___hiddenremote.com_files_image-exc

8 hours ago, excel1 said:

Uh, Superman is the star power. If he is well done, people will come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

This screams fan casting to me. I doubt agents would be throwing that info around at such a sensitive time like this. This is unlike Jeff Sneider discovering a negotiation prior to the strikes like the Glover bros taking over screenwriting duties on Lando followed by all the trades confirming it, it’s MTSH’s troll account seeing a redhead white kid and saying yeah, this is a contender for Jimmy Olsen. Reminder that the same account said that Nicholas Hoult 100% had the Superman role over David Corenswet.

Reminder that a great Jimmy Olsen’s take doesn’t need him to necessarily be a redhead kid:

https___hiddenremote.com_files_image-exc

I share your skepticism about fan casting, but I don';t think this is the case here.

And it is clear that Gunn wants to go in a very traditional apporach to casting this movie. 

SInce some of the off the wall casting done in the last Supes attempt did not work very well.

Just now, dudalb said:

I share your skepticism about fan casting, but I don';t think this is the case here.

And it is clear that Gunn wants to go in a very traditional apporach to casting this movie. 

SInce some of the off the wall casting done in the last Supes attempt did not work very well.

I’m not saying that this won’t be a very traditional Superman take. But this screams bait to me and MTTSH trying to lock expectations so if James Gunn picks someone else, the ‘perfect Jimmy Olsen’ casting by looks alone wasn’t taken, no matter if he was never in contention to begin with. This isn’t my first rodeo, I remember almost one decade ago people throwing around every redhead in Hollywood as the new Mary Jane and the havoc when Zendaya was picked. I just don’t want to see shit like this happen again, Gunn got this. Let the man cook.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Uh, Superman is the star power. If he is well done, people will come.

Uh, this property, like every film, has a range featuring both a low end and high end. "Well done" Superman no doubt helps, but the casting of leads plays a big role in initial buzz, that should be obvious from these past few weeks in particular. A cast full of borderline complete unknowns is a missed opportunity, no way around it. 

On 7/12/2023 at 10:32 AM, ZattMurdock said:

This added to the fact that Gunn has said that there are no plans for a Suicide Squad pretty much confirms that Margot Robbie and gang are out of the DC Universe for good, save for maybe Idris Elba’s Bloodsport and Daniella Melchior’s Ratsnatcher 2. Not sure what Waller show will be, but I wouldn’t be surprised of seeing a version of the League comprised of some of the characters they’ve announced for Superman: Legacy there. 

DCU probably could not afford what Robbie asking price for any multi film commitment is now.

On 7/28/2023 at 3:25 PM, ZattMurdock said:

I’m not saying that this won’t be a very traditional Superman take. But this screams bait to me and MTTSH trying to lock expectations so if James Gunn picks someone else, the ‘perfect Jimmy Olsen’ casting by looks alone wasn’t taken, no matter if he was never in contention to begin with. This isn’t my first rodeo, I remember almost one decade ago people throwing around every redhead in Hollywood as the new Mary Jane and the havoc when Zendaya was picked. I just don’t want to see shit like this happen again, Gunn got this. Let the man cook.

I guess it depends on what you consider fan casting. I did not see a lot of fans shouting for this actor to play Olsen. As compared to a lot of them shouting for specific actors(elondi comes to mind) to play Supes or Lois,or the names being batted about for the Fantastic Four.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I'm almost finished with Mrs Maisel and my god did they strike gold with Brosnahan. What a star.

Not to mention her tour-de-force performance in Quibi's Woman with the Golden Arm (i assume that is the title, didn't actually watch), and her delivery of the line "bury me with my golden arm"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

Not to mention her tour-de-force performance in Quibi's Woman with the Golden Arm (i assume that is the title, didn't actually watch), and her delivery of the line "bury me with my golden arm"

Omfg I forgot that was her lmao

On 7/31/2023 at 10:56 PM, ChipDerby said:

I'm almost finished with Mrs Maisel and my god did they strike gold with Brosnahan. What a star.

She did not sweep the major "Best Actress in a series" TV awards for nothing.