Big Hero 6 (2014)

74 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Answers to the bolded questions and comments.

A.) Because the Big Hero 6 may very well have exposed him to the rest of the San Fransokyo. They weren't a distraction for Callaghan, but rather an extra hurdle. Also, Hiro wasn't just motivated by Tadashi's death. They legitimately believed this guy was going to be a "ZOMG TAKE OVER THE WORLD YIP YIP" kind of villian.

B.) Callaghan didn't even know about the microbots until the presentation, so there really wasn't much for him to do before then beyond plan his revenge quietly, and the fire gave him a chance to fake his own death. You can't blame people for not believing a dead person was the culprit. 

But he knows who they are. He didn't need to, there wasn't any need for the car chase besides "action", because all it did was show something like a quarter of the city he exists. The only reason why nobody realised was because besides the train there was no one else in the street at all. That lack of believability ruined the scene. It's not like a live action movie which doesn't have a budget, it seemed like the animators or more likely the director cutting corners. Same with Krei's offices having no workers in them. It makes no sense except it is easier for the plot. 

I think he created the fire himself as opposed to a fire starting up and he took advantage of it. That would be way too convenient and yet another gap in logic from Don Hall. It just happened way too quick for him to be believable that it was the best course of action. Just so many problems. It reeked off Don Hall trying to get past Tadashi's death to set up the BH6. Badly directed. The story needed to breathe and the directors didn't let it. 

You must have a remarkable level of foresight if you could tell Callaghan was going to be evil from the moment he was introduced, especially considering the introduction of the obviously money-grubbing Krei later on.

And like being a Disney movie has stopped other villains from committing murder before...

I didn't say introduced, I meant after Tadashi went in and we were led to believe Callaghan died with him. I didn't believe that they got rid of him then. It would be way too easy for Krei to be the villain and it was dealt with very heavy handily anyway to make him look like one. I would have been surprised if he was the villain. 

• Like 1

Finally decided to give my review in here.......

First off I loved the animation! It was so gorgeous! The scene with Hiro inside the portal with Baymax trying to save the daughter was especially beautiful! One of the best animated sequences I have ever seen in an animated film! I don't think I blinked once while that scene was taking place as I was so mesmerized by the amazingness of how it looked! 

Speaking of that scene, when Baymax sacrificed himself, I was in tears. It really got to me and made me realize just how much I loved Baymax in the movie! When he returned later on I was in tears again, but this time is was happy tears! I just loved Baymax so much! I think he is already one of my favorite Disney Animated Characters of all-time! 

The story as a whole was filled with excitement, laughter, and emotion. Besides Baymax, I thought Fred was the funniest character! I was happy that all of the members of Big Hero 6 got a moment or moments to shine. With the story focusing on Hiro, I wasn't sure they would, but luckily they did. All of them had very distinct personality which made them all fun characters that I would love to see more of. 

The villain plot was slightly cliched, but not enough to bother me. It was different enough to not be a 1-note retread of what you would typically see in a movie like this. Thinking back, I am kinda shocked they had him actually kill Hiro's brother. I am glad Disney didn't shy away from this as it added weight to the story and his character. Not only that, but it added another really emotion element to the film. Seeing Hiro's reaction to it had me in tears and it added so much to the Hiro/Baymax relationship. I feel like after Hiro watched the video of his brother testing Baymax,  Baymax became like a new brother to Hiro. I really saw there relationship as more like brothers rather than friends which is one reason why Baymax's sacrifice later in the film made me cry so much.

One this I really loved about this film was the Stan Lee cameo. Having him as Fred's father was a great move. The after credits scene was hilarious! As a long time Marvel comics fan it was just a true mark out moment hearing Stan voice a cartoon character on film! It really looked like him to, so props to the animators. 

I could go on about the film, but I don't want to type forever. Thinking about this film, I think I even liked it more than Frozen which I loved! It stands atop as my favorite animated film of the year and in my top 5 overall!

I would give it an....

A(95)

They didn't.

Callaghan didn't know Tadashi would run back in to save him and end up dying. That wasn't part of the plan.

• Like 1

They didn't.

Callaghan didn't know Tadashi would run back in to save him and end up dying. That wasn't part of the plan.

Indirectly they did, but I get your point. Still, having the bad guy's fire kill him was still a bold move for a kids movie. What makes so bold fit isn't just him dying, but the fact that Hiro already had 2 dead parents, so it was his only immediate family left dying. Edited by Empire

But he knows who they are. He didn't need to, there wasn't any need for the car chase besides "action", because all it did was show something like a quarter of the city he exists.

Hiro investigated what Yokai was doing before the chase scene. Callaghan assumed that Hiro was onto them, so there was at least some justification was the chase.

The only reason why nobody realised was because besides the train there was no one else in the street at all. That lack of believability ruined the scene. It's not like a live action movie which doesn't have a budget, it seemed like the animators or more likely the director cutting corners.

Maybe it was just really late out? (They're all college kids, what did you expect? ;)) and they took relatively quiet roads when most people were asleep. At best, a security camera could have caught them, but even then Yokai could have blocked them using microbots. 

Same with Krei's offices having no workers in them. It makes no sense except it is easier for the plot. 

It seems pretty obvious to me, people would have fled once they knew something was up, or maybe, if Krei was giving some big announcement, maybe they were all watching that and, you know, not at the office? Besides, no one was in the offices during the Omnidroid fight in The Incredibles. Did that bother you as well?

I think he created the fire himself as opposed to a fire starting up and he took advantage of it. That would be way too convenient and yet another gap in logic from Don Hall. It just happened way too quick for him to be believable that it was the best course of action.

It's hardly a logical gap. The microbots provided the perfect opportunity for Callaghan to go with this plan, and given how much crazy technology was there, surely it could have been easy to start a fire. Again, Callaghan was planning something big for a while. It was the microbots that finally served as the catalyst for his plot to begin. And it's not like this came out of nowhere. Imagine if you were Callaghan and needed a deadly weapon to defeat your adversaries. If only there were several bright minds coming together to show off game changing inventions, maybe that might have something useful.

Just so many problems. It reeked off Don Hall trying to get past Tadashi's death to set up the BH6. Badly directed. The story needed to breathe and the directors didn't let it. 

Again, I told you that Tadashi wasn't the sole catalyst for the formation of the team. Hiro believed that finding his (accidental) killer would "improve his emotional state", but these character misunderstandings come together in the end, and they were important in driving the plot from the start.

• Like 1

Visually it had some interesting quirks and I appreciate the progressive melting pot diversity the film casually presents. But this is pretty tame all around. The Disney formula meets the Marvel formula and resultantly every beat is telegraphed ahead of itself.

I think the worst part is the ending.

First off, you have a pretty good death scene undermined because we just saw that the portal was reassembled and the girl was still alive inside, so it shouldn't have been a death scene, but a "I'm gonna come back for you" scene.

Let's look past that for a second and go with it.  It was a pretty good death scene.  I liked that he had to say something unremarkable like, "I am satisfied with my care." as a goodbye.  So you go with that, okay, I can understand.

But don't immediately Star Trek it by bringing him back in less than 5 minutes.  It just wastes a great scene and kinda pisses me off.

• Like 1

But don't immediately Star Trek it by bringing him back in less than 5 minutes.  It just wastes a great scene and kinda pisses me off.

You could perhaps interpret that scene as showing that Baymax has developed emotional capabilities, since removing the green card should've made him a killing machine again. 

Don't know whether the filmmakers intended it as such or not, but it's the way I prefer to justify it.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

You could perhaps interpret that scene as showing that Baymax has developed emotional capabilities, since removing the green card should've made him a killing machine again. 

Don't know whether the filmmakers intended it as such or not, but it's the way I prefer to justify it.

Yeah, I thought about that too.  It's kind of a messy ending.

• Like 1

There's definitely complaints you can make about the film's logic and writing, and that's why it won't be winning Best Animated Feature. Still, the experience as a whole is just so enjoyable that I find it all forgivable.

Lego in a landslide, and I'm extremely happy about that.

Lego was great, but I thought HTTYD2 & BH6 were both better. With that said, I still expect Lego to win.

Maybe it's because Tadashi and Hiro remind myself of me and my brother, or maybe it's just the whole science/engineering angle of it, but damn, I just really liked it.

I think the brother aspect is what hit me the most since I have an older brother like Hiro. The relationship felt like a true relationship between brothers.

• Like 1

Parts of it (everything that dealt with recovering from grief) were very well done, and Baymax was hilarious and lovable. In my opinion it's the origin story feel to it that brings it down, it gets a bit on the line of the cliche most of the Disney films have been following so it doesn't necessarily seem entirely fresh, especially when there's so many parallels to The Iron Giant. The soundtrack could also get overbearing, especially in the more emotional scenes. I know it's an animation but I could have definitely used less of it, especially since the track wasn't that memorable. I also thought the villain reveal wasn't really as shocking as it was supposed to be, I saw it coming from a long time before it happened, while that shouldn't be a complaint It's just disappointing given that Frozen and Wreck-It Ralph's villain reveals were so strong.

I don't want to go off into a negative tangent though, I really did like the movie (there were many parts where I loved it). I feel like a mixture of this and httyd2 would have made a great film, in that the characterization was so much stronger in this film it just lacked the guts and elegance httyd2 had (while that lacked in build up characterization).

Because of that I'll give it the same grade I gave httyd2. B+

My overall ranking of Disney's more recent efforts

1.Wreck-It Ralph

2.Tangled (close between these two)

3.Frozen

4.Big Hero 6

5.Bolt

• Like 1