grim22

Wknd Estimates: Nolan = 50M | BH6 = 56M+(pg 72) (who cares, our forum lives!)

All of my favorites of the couple of years have disappointed. 

:(

I don't know. I may be in the minority, but for the most part I try to look at box office as a separate entity from the film itself. I'm pretty fascinated by it all. When we were back on mojo I was amazed with the posters and their predictions along with their calculations. I learned a lot. Of course there were always shenanigans like on here but there were more people more into the numbers more than the movie. I think those days have passed us by though.  Now don't get me wrong, I fall in love with movies like everyone else here and I want to see them light up the world. But if they don't then oh well, lol.

• Like 1

@TheShawnRobbins: #Interstellar Friday box office includes $4.6m from IMAX (27% share); $1.9m from other large format screens (11%) ... "B+" CinemaScore

@TheShawnRobbins: #Interstellar audience skewed considerably adult... only 25% aged 25 and under. 52% male/48% female

DAT IMAX share... DAT lack of teens (not surprised, around me nobody talks about Interstellar). 

I'll repeat this one more time, even though it will get lost in the next 77 pages of how bad Interstellar opened.

Inception is an anomaly, not the rule for original films.

IS opened right in line with Gravity and Prometheus, two other films set in space dealing with the human condition...and here's the kicker....both of those had 3D.  So IS actually opened better.  

I'm not a revisionist, but I never expected IS to gross 75 mill OW or make 300 or make a billion.  Did I think it would open at 50?  Nope.....I honestly didn't know where it would open, but I would have guessed around 60.  

This is a good opening and with the holidays approaching, the decent WOM and IMAX until Hobbit comes out, the chances of this making 150 mill look really good.

• Like 11

@TheShawnRobbins: #Interstellar Friday box office includes $4.6m from IMAX (27% share); $1.9m from other large format screens (11%) ... "B+" CinemaScore

@TheShawnRobbins: #Interstellar audience skewed considerably adult... only 25% aged 25 and under. 52% male/48% female

Could have some decent legs but it needs the younger male demographic to give it that boost.

I'll repeat this one more time, even though it will get lost in the next 77 pages of how bad Interstellar opened.

IS opened right in line with Gravity and Prometheus, two other films set in space dealing with the human condition...and here's the kicker....both of those had 3D.  So IS actually opened better.  

I'm not a revisionist, but I never expected IS to gross 75 mill OW or make 300 or make a billion.  Did I think it would open at 50?  Nope.....I honestly didn't know where it would open, but I would have guessed around 60.  

This is a good opening and with the holidays approaching, the decent WOM and IMAX until Hobbit comes out, the chances of this making 150 mill look really good.

This post... actually makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 5

This is not what Nolanites want to hear Baumer. :lol:

• Like 3

Oh my God, Shawn has turned into a celebrity, kind of like on MNF when all the players are announcing what college they went to:

John Smith: Maryland

Bob Johnson: BYU

Steve Jones:  Michigan State

Shawn Robbins:  THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY.

Shawn has THE before his name.   :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 10

IS opened right in line with Gravity and Prometheus, two other films set in space dealing with the human condition...and here's the kicker....both of those had 3D. So IS actually opened better.

I'm not a revisionist, but I never expected IS to gross 75 mill OW or make 300 or make a billion. Did I think it would open at 50? Nope.....I honestly didn't know where it would open, but I would have guessed around 60.

Get the fuck outta here with your logic and shit

Edited by DAR
  • Like 5

This is not what Nolanites want to hear Baumer. :lol:

Yes, I know, but 150 mill for an original film from anyone not named Cameron should be considered a great number.  WW this still has a great chance at 600 mill.

I was thinking more Avatar/Inception than Gravity/Prometheus.