Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada's Top 30 Films of 2014

Say whaaaaaat? Jack Nevada, you big goof. It's only December!

I know, I know. There's still more movies to see. Some big movies, some smaller critical darlings.

But I feel like I have seen enough good films from this year to start making a list.

And it has been a good year, once again. Well okay, I guess every year is a good year for movies if you skip all the obviously crappy ones. But hey, I watch everything. I'll watch your home videos.

Some notes on this list:

1. No hyperbole. That 2013 list was fucking embarrassing.

2. I hope I've evolved as a writer, but that's up to you to decide

3. To qualify the film had to get a theatrical release in the States. That leaves out pictures such as Winter Sleep, The Look of Silence and What We Do In The Shadows.

So get your hateful comments ready, because this... is my list.

I'll get started after I get some sleep.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 5

Say whaaaaaat? Jack Nevada, you big goof. It's only December!

I know, I know. There's still more movies to see. Some big movies, some smaller critical darlings.

But I feel like I have seen enough good films from this year to start making a list.

And it has been a good year, once again. Well okay, I guess every year is a good year for movies if you skip all the obviously crappy ones. But hey, I watch everything. I'll watch your home videos.

Some notes on this list:

1. No hyperbole. That 2013 list was fucking embarrassing.

2. I hope I've evolved as a writer, but that's up to you to decide

3. To qualify the film had to get a theatrical release in the States. That leaves out pictures such as Winter Sleep, The Look of Silence and What We Do In The Shadows.

So get your hateful comments ready, because this... is my list.

I'll get started after I get some sleep.

Will you revise as you see some of the potential Oscar challengers (if needed)?

We all know HOBBIT 3's gonna be in your top 10 anyway.

• Like 1

I just checked Jack's list in the best of 2014 thread.... this'll be fun.

I might do one of these lists, but I'll give it another month and a half. been way behind. seen 40 movies so far. watched 2 2014 movies a day this past week. lots of good ones actually, but nothing that stands out as "this is definitely best of the year material"

• Like 2

IMDb says Winter Sleep is getting a limited US release on December 19. Mojo doesn't have it in its database yet. 

Before we get started, here are the fourteen worst films from 2014, as chose by me.

14. The Sacrament

13. Tracks

12. A Million Ways to Die In The West

11. Non-Stop

10. Fading Gigolo

9. Godzilla

8. Lucy

7. Maleficent

6. Deliver Us From Evil

5. Ride Along

4. They Came Together

3. The Zero Theorem

2. Wetlands

1. The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

• Like 5

Before we get started, here are the fourteen worst films from 2014, as chose by me.

14. The Sacrament

13. Tracks

12. A Million Ways to Die In The West

11. Non-Stop

10. Fading Gigolo

9. Godzilla

8. Lucy

7. Maleficent

6. Deliver Us From Evil

5. Ride Along

4. They Came Together

3. The Zero Theorem

2. Wetlands

1. The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

I've seen one of these films and it was absolutely atrocious, of course I'm referring to Liam Neeson on a Plane.

Hold on to your butts, cause here we go.

hndfwnybwr8qistgxyac.jpg

30. Under the Skin - directed by Jonathan Glazer

Under the Skin is a film that demands your full attention, and is practically screaming for repeated viewings. Having seen it once I honestly have no idea what to think.

The movie is successful at creating a dreamlike atmosphere and there are scenes that'll stick with you for a long time (most notably the horrifying segment involving a baby) but I can't say I understood what the

filmmakers were trying to say. I kept thinking "I'm sure there greatness in here, but I just can't quite grasp it."

Still, it's impressive just little the film cares about appealing to a large audience and I'll definitely be coming back to give it a few more tries.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 5

Hold on to your butts, cause here we go.

hndfwnybwr8qistgxyac.jpg

30. Under the Skin - directed by Jonathan Glazer

Under the Skin is a film that demands your full attention, and is practically screaming for repeated viewings. Having seen it once I honestly have no idea what to think.

The movie is successful at creating a dreamlike atmosphere and there are scenes that'll stick with you for a long time (most notably the horrifying segment involving a baby) but I can't say I understood what the

filmmakers were trying to say. I kept thinking "I'm sure there greatness in here, but I just can't quite grasp it."

Still, it's impressive just little the film cares about appealing to a large audience and I'll definitely be coming back to give it a few more tries.

You need to take heed of your own advice. ;)

Edited by The Stingray

Next up..

the-double-2.jpg

29. The Double -- directed by Richard Ayoade

This was a nice surprise. Sure, it's not much more than a gimmicky exercise in style but boy, the style is good.

The film looks and sounds great, giving you a real sense of the world they're trying to create. It feels both retro and futuristic at the same time, really cute stuff.

I also thought Jesse Eisenberg gave his best performance since The Social Network, which admittedly isn't saying much.

Edited by Jack Nevada