Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

Oh, I know people who didn't like it that much.

Well, I'm just talking about from my perspective. Clearly I haven't met enough people! :P

Regardless, it is an absolutely fantastic film. Easily Fincher's best.

• Like 1

#6: Inside Llewyn Davis (2013)

written and directed by: The Coen Brothers

Inside_Llewyn_Davis_Poster.jpg

A wonderful (and bleak) look at the creative struggle to succeed in an artistic field, and what that struggle may even mean. Anyone who’s ever put serious effort into trying to make a professional career out of an artistic endeavor will recognize all the turmoil Llewyn Davis goes through. Bleak, yet oddly not a downer of a movie.

mightyboosh-headshake.gif

• Like 2

#5: The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

written by: Terence Winter

directed by: Martin Scorsese

WallStreet2013poster.jpg

Raucous, profane, sprawling, yet hilarious, this is a brutal satirical look at Wall Street, capitalism, and the dark side of American exceptionalism. One of the funniest movies in quite awhile… and yet you feel anger, frustration, and (yes) a little envy as well. Scorsese doesn’t let the audience off the hook either… the final shot makes abundantly clear how all our desperate urges for success contribute to this selfish cancer at the core of our society.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz57Eg6VgQE

Do-more-about-climate-change-Another-sta

• Like 2

#3: The Grey (2012)

written and directed by: Joe Carnahan

The_Grey_Poster.jpg

Joe Carnahan is sort of a modern-day low-budget cinema Hemingway, making movies about manly men doing manly things in a manly way. His first no-budget feature was called BLOOD, GUTS, BULLETS, AND OCTANE, and that sums up his filmography pretty well. He does have an underlying poetic streak, though, and when he pulls back and keeps things low-key, he’s capable of great work (NARC, for example). The first thing to understand about THE GREY is that it’s not a Liam Neeson action movie (as it was assumed to be during its original release.) It’s a meditation on what it means to live life, what it means to face death, and how you choose to face death. It’s completely underrated and an masterpiece.

Shocked.gif

• Like 3

#2: The Social Network

written by: Aaron Sorkin

directed by: David Fincher

Social_network_film_poster.jpg

A damn near perfect movie, honed to a fine brilliant sheen. Not a wasted frame. Almost the platonic ideal of what a Hollywood drama should be.

Colin-Farrell-Shrug-In-Bruges.gif

• Like 2