Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

It starts with a guy trying to kill himself and ends with the same guy fighting for his life. like I said, If there's no hope in the grey there's no hope in gravity either.

I guess, forgot the arc of the character.

• Like 1

Expected but underwhelming #1.

The Grey isn't necessarily hopeful, but it does hit on embracing life and fighting for each possible moment even if the weight of the world is against you.

Edited by 4815162342

#1: Boyhood

written and directed by: Richard Linklater

Boyhood_film.jpg

The opposite, in many ways, to my #2 movie, this is a more sprawling story. It gently unfolds. Characters (almost exclusively) are treated warmly. It’s not a judgemental film, it’s not about the darker aspects of human nature. In fact, in almost every way, describing it makes it sound nondescript. And yet, there’s a cumulative power here that’s almost overwhelming… it just sneaks up on you. The last forty-five minutes or so is the most emotional continuous experience I’ve had in movies since… I dunno, maybe ROTK. It manages to be a movie of precise, small, nondescript moments very specific to Texas at the turn of the century, and yet it’s completely and powerfully universal as well. This is not a movie for the brain, it’s a movie for your heart.

maybe-christina.gif

• Like 3

If you want bleak, LEVIATHAN's it.

I had that movie in my hand the other day.  I will definitely be picking it up now.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

I want to do a top ten worst of then half decade

Should I use this thread or start a new one?

How about let it go for a while?  There are so many going at once.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I'd wait a while.

• Like 2

How about let it go for a while?  There are so many going at once.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I'd wait a while.

Aye. I was originally like 3rd or 4th in line for the Top 50 of the half-decade, but there are countdowns everywhere, so I'm just going to wait until everyone else is done and it cools down a bit.

• Like 1

Working on my top 50 of the first half of this decade list. Not going to do write ups, so I will just post it in this thread in a couple weeks after I finally watch Song of the Sea with like 10 movies listed a day.

Don't have time to do write ups and I suck at writing anyways, but I still want to show my list. :P

• Like 2

Working on my top 50 of the first half of this decade list. Not going to do write ups, so I will just post it in this thread in a couple weeks after I finally watch Song of the Sea with like 10 movies listed a day.

Don't have time to do write ups and I suck at writing anyways, but I still want to show my list. :P

I bet you don't suck at writing.  but am really looking forward to your list :D

• Like 1

The Grey is amazing, I remember it getting some boos at the end in my theater...

Damn GA... they probably went into that movie expecting a fun action B-movie with Liam Neeson punching/stabbing some hungry wolves for 2 hours.  Admittedly, thats what I went to see it for as well because it was that time of the year(FUCK YOU, ITS JANUARY!) and it looked like a movie that could be mildly fun, but after 10 minutes I knew there was gonna be much, much more to that movie and by the end of it I was floored.  Every character was great and every time one of them died it was like getting punched in the gut.  That final scene with Diaz where he gives up = emot-stare.gif

• Like 3

In the spirit of Empire, here are my unordered Top 40 of the decade so far. Loads of films still to see, but I thought I'd post so if I ever bothered or had the time to do my own countdown I could compare it to this list here.

Top 5 (no order)

--Birdman

--Blue is the Warmest Colour

--Boyhood

--Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

--How to Train Your Dragon

Rest (no order, but by year)

--Toy Story 3

--Inception

--The King's Speech

--The Social Network

--Tangled

--127 Hours

--Kick Ass

--Arthur Christmas

--50/50

--Super 8

--Contagion

--Warrior

--Rise of the Planet of the Apes

--Drive

--Fast Five

--Margin Call

--Perks of Being a Wallflower

--Moonrise Kingdom

--Pitch Perfect

--The Avengers

--Les Miserables

--Wreck It Ralph

--Life of Pi

--Dredd

--About Time

--The Croods

--The Wolf of Wall Street

--Frozen

--Edge of Tomorrow

--How to Train Your Dragon 2

--Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

--The Normal Heart

--Fury

--Begin Again

--Tracks

• Like 2

In the spirit of Empire, here are my unordered Top 40 of the decade so far. Loads of films still to see, but I thought I'd post so if I ever bothered or had the time to do my own countdown I could compare it to this list here.

Top 5 (no order)

--Birdman

--Blue is the Warmest Colour

--Boyhood

--Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1

--How to Train Your Dragon

Rest (no order, but by year)

--Toy Story 3

--Inception

--The King's Speech

--The Social Network

--Tangled

--127 Hours

--Kick Ass

--Arthur Christmas

--50/50

--Super 8

--Contagion

--Warrior

--Rise of the Planet of the Apes

--Drive

--Fast Five

--Margin Call

--Perks of Being a Wallflower

--Moonrise Kingdom

--Pitch Perfect

--The Avengers

--Les Miserables

--Wreck It Ralph

--Life of Pi

--Dredd

--About Time

--The Croods

--The Wolf of Wall Street

--Frozen

--Edge of Tomorrow

--How to Train Your Dragon 2

--Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

--The Normal Heart

--Fury

--Begin Again

--Tracks

Only three movies I feel the need to complain about, good job.

( TA, Pitch Perfect, and Life of Pi)