CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

FioS had best female performance of the year and its not even close. The academy might be idiots for not nominating something but calling them racist because of it is ridiculous.

I wouldn't call it racism per se, but there are definitely issues with the way Hollywood treats certain groups of people - even if it's not a conscious decision. Women suffer a lot from this too. I wouldn't pick anyone out and say they're racist/sexist/homophobic for doing this, but I think it's ignorant to suppose that everything is fine and dandy, because the fact is, black people aren't given the same treatment as white people in movies. Women aren't given the same treatment as men. Gay and transgender people aren't given the same treatment as straight and cis people.

I believe this stems from Hollywood being dominated by straight white cis men, and a diversity in studio heads, directors and producers would result in more diverse - and, by extension, better - movies.

Edited by treeroy
  • Like 1

Ita not always racism. Maybe they didnt think Selma was good enough.

Or maybe the didn't see Selma. 

Paramount fucked up the screener issued extremely badly and I don't get why no-one is reporting on that or accepting that is why Selma didn't do well. You simply cannot nominate a film that you didn't see. SAG didn't see it. BAFTA didn't see it. None of the guilds saw it. A lot of people in AMPAS didn't get screeners. Like the BP nom is probably more so due to 'I have to vote for it' Blind Voting than actual merit as judged by Academy Members who saw the film. 

• Like 2

but it got a best picture nomination. feels more like covering their own ass instead of recognition. Why do I get the feeling there are members who voted for Selma without watching it?

It's also the only category with more than 5 nominees.  It probably had a small but passionate group of voters - probably those who bothered to watch the screeners or go to screenings without being told by other award bodies what should be watched and nominated.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

It's really a shame that the only best actress nominee in a best picture nominee is the one who plays "supportive wife 101".

Except they nominated Marion Fucking Cotillard in a Foreign Language Film by the Dardennes, which is possibly the best performance in the best film of the year. You do not get much more inspired, creative, on-point and better than that. I think we can forgive their transgressions for not nominating more female BPs or females that appeared in the BPs. 

• Like 1

Or maybe the didn't see Selma. 

Paramount fucked up the screener issued extremely badly and I don't get why no-one is reporting on that or accepting that is why Selma didn't do well. You simply cannot nominate a film that you didn't see. SAG didn't see it. BAFTA didn't see it. None of the guilds saw it. A lot of people in AMPAS didn't get screeners. Like the BP nom is probably more so due to 'I have to vote for it' Blind Voting than actual merit as judged by Academy Members who saw the film. 

How did the oscars work before the home video era (pre mid 1980's) ?

I think people put too much weight on the screeners issue I don't know.

Do AMPAS members ever go to a thing called a theater ?

• Like 1

It's also the only category with more than 5 nominees.  It probably had a small but passionate group of voters - probably those who bothered to watch the screeners or go to screenings without being told by other award bodies what should be watched and nominated.

In the AMPAS's defence, when you get that many screeners and get that many invitations to screenings, you can't watch everything and so you do rely on the guilds to tell you what to watch. 

How did the oscars work before the home video era (pre mid 1980's) ?

I think people put too much weight on the screeners issue I don't know.

Do AMPAS members ever go to a thing called a theater ?

Uhm, I don't actually know. But most AMPAS members do rely on screeners much more than screenings. And it becomes ever more important for guilds because they are more spreadout than AMPAS is. 

FioS had best female performance of the year and its not even close. The academy might be idiots for not nominating something but calling them racist because of it is ridiculous.

No it didn't. It had a lot of overrated performances which were trying too hard to make the target audience cry. I get it, the movie probably brainwashed you into thinking it was one of the best movies and one of the best performances this year.

• Like 1

Oh my vote for most shocking and unworthy noms

Best Sound Editing
"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
"The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"
"Interstellar"
"Unbroken"

Best Sound Mixing
"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
"Interstellar"
"Unbroken"
"Whiplash"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did Nolan show up at each of their homes and personally adjust it for them?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

That Marion nod is a big surprise right ?

What precursors did she have, none except some critics mentions ?

She got BFCA but a fair number of big critics I think. NSFC, NYFCC, Boston. So it was a really critically adored film. 

• Like 1

Oh my vote for most shoking and unworthy noms

Best Sound Editing

"American Sniper"

"Birdman"

"Interstellar"

"Unbroken"

Best Sound Mixing

"American Sniper"

"Birdman"

"Interstellar"

"Unbroken"

"Whiplash"

Like VFX, I don't think it's a traditional nominating process. Like voters get a 'bake-off'-esque package that highlights and goes in-depth into the process and what they did and whatnot. 

• Like 3

Oh my vote for most shocking and unworthy noms

Best Sound Editing

"American Sniper"

"Birdman"

"Interstellar"

"Unbroken"

Best Sound Mixing

"American Sniper"

"Birdman"

"Interstellar"

"Unbroken"

"Whiplash"

Did Nolan show up at each of their homes and personally adjust it for them?

Am I the only person in the world who really appreciated the sound mixing in Interstellar?

• Like 1

Shoulda saved Selma for next year. gave it more time to build momentum. it really could've gotten like, 11 nominations and been a best picture winner. ah well.

I've been saying that since Tuesday after I saw it haha. It really could've swept next year if it was released in November 2015

I've been saying that since Tuesday after I saw it haha. It really could've swept next year if it was released in November 2015

Yeah. I'm surprised Paramount rushed Ava so much. They didn't lock until end of November. I suppose it was because Interstellar was a dud and they wanted another horse really badly. 

• Like 1