terrestrial

Weekend Chappie - 13.35M | Focus - 10.01M | 2nd Best Exotic Marigold - 8.54M | Unfinished Business - 4.77M

Don't forget, CJohn and Ethan were looking forward to it, it was Ethan's most anticipated movie and CJohn even enjoyed it a lot - that is this forums' equivalent of a kiss of death.

Does that mean that CJohn is the equivalent to box office poison?

Paramount should have just gone with a weekend actual of $100,000,000 just to troll everyone even harder. 

rmMTzyc.jpg

QwFpNY4.jpg

Fast 7 is gonna tank if that is the case.

It's not about tanking, it is about expectations being set way too high and the whole weekend feeling like a letdown. 50 Shades breaking the Feb OW record should have been an event weekend for the forums, but a handful of people set the bar really high that anything below say 120M was viewed here as a letdown and disappointment. The weekend thread for that weekend, which had the mods also relaxing rules, should have been one for the ages, instead it was a lot of sound and fury signifying nothing.

For example, Fast 7 will be a major win if it beats the April OW. But of course, expectations here will be set so high that 150M will be viewed as a foregone conclusion, and when it opens to "only" 115M (April OW + Easter OW record), we will be collectively disappointed.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 3

...made $250M in America. People often forget this while bashing China for 'saving Crappie( :ph34r:) movies that flopped in the USA'

China:

Transformers 2: 65m

Transformers 3: 165m (+100m)

Transformers 4: 301m (+136m)

US

Transformers 2: 402m

Transformers 3: 352m (-50m)

Transformers 4: 245m (-107m)

Exact opposite trend in both countries.  At this rate, the next Transformers movie will make 150-200m in the US and 400m+ in China.

Compared to Sniper, TF4 is a masterpiece. And thank God for China, since that's the only way we can get some original SF. That seems to be flopping continuously in the US.

Lol, Chappie and especially JA flopped in the US because they didn't look appealing and ended up critically panned, this isn't hard to figure out.

• Like 2

For example, Fast 7 will be a major win if it beats the April OW. But of course, expectations here will be set so high that 150M will be viewed as a foregone conclusion, and when it opens to "only" 115M (April OW + Easter OW record), we will be collectively disappointed.

I will honestly be disappointed if it only opens with 115M. I am expecting ~125M.

I will honestly be disappointed if it only opens with 115M. I am expecting ~125M.

giphy.gif

Not saying it can't do it, but Fast 6 (coming off the immensely successful Fast 5) did 97M with a Memorial Day Sunday drop. Fast 7 will have the Easter Sunday drop of 40%+.

Edited by grim22

China:

Transformers 2: 65m

Transformers 3: 165m (+100m)

Transformers 4: 301m (+136m)

US

Transformers 2: 402m

Transformers 3: 352m (-50m)

Transformers 4: 245m (-107m)

Exact opposite trend in both countries.  At this rate, the next Transformers movie will make 150-200m in the US and 400m+ in China.

But China is an expanding market so naturally the grosses will go up. I'm not saying it's not ridiculous how much money those movies are making there but it's not like America went all "nope, this is crap, we're not watching this anymore" either.

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Not saying it can't do it, but Fast 6 (coming off the immensely successful Fast 5) did 97M with a Memorial Day Sunday drop. Fast 7 will have the Easter Sunday drop of 40%+.

Fast 6 did 117M over the 4 day weekend. At least the same has to happen in this 3 day weekend, otherwise it is a disappointment, IMO.

Because of the Sunday drop I am getting ready for a 50M+ OD.  B)

Plus Thursday previews will be massive. Transcendence previews were bigger than Chappie and Focus because they were on that Thursday. Everyone has Friday off so Thursday numbers are inflated as consequence. 11-14M for previews alone, IMO.

Edited by CJohn

The movies I am feeling under performance coming are Get Hard and Insurgent (and Home, of course, but everyone will see that coming, even DWA). 

Hell, depending on Cinderella's OW, I might create a club called Cinderella 2nd Weekend Over Insurgent OW. 

Fast 6 did 117M over the 4 day weekend. At least the same has to happen in this 3 day weekend, otherwise it is a disappointment, IMO.

Because of the Sunday drop I am getting ready for a 50M+ OD.  B)

Plus Thursday previews will be massive. Transcendence previews were bigger than Chappie and Focus because they were on that Thursday. Everyone has Friday off so Thursday numbers are inflated as consequence. 11-14M for previews alone, IMO.

I will say that 14M previews and a 50M OD are definitely possible. The issue with Easter weekend is that Saturday sees a negligible to no bump from a true Friday number, and Sunday sees a 40% drop. So using your numbers, we get 14M + 36M + 36M+ 22M = 108M. Easter weekend openings are all about maximizing that Friday take. Easter weekend multpliers are like 2.25-2.35 from the Friday take. 

The movies I am feeling under performance coming are Get Hard and Insurgent (and Home, of course, but everyone will see that coming, even DWA). 

Hell, depending on Cinderella's OW, I might create a club called Cinderella 2nd Weekend Over Insurgent OW. 

I think a Cinderella 2nd weekend > Insurgent OW club may be closer than expected. 

Oh yeah, right, then get ready for a 60M OD. 

I was thinking 50M Fri, 50M Sat, and then a 40% drop on Sunday. Forgot about the previews fuckery :lol: 

Edited by CJohn