Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

33. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

.... but if ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST wasn't Leone's masterpiece, this surely is. Head and shoulders above the other movies in the "Man With No Name" saga, it tells the tale of three men, all in pursuit of lost Civil War gold, and the steps each is willing to take to get the treasure. Another Morricone score so iconic it's now shorthand for an instant western showdown feel.

• Like 7

Man oh man, Tarantino once said that Battle Royale was the movie he wished he made.  Tele, your list is the list I wish I would of done, as well.

Fantastic movies on here.

Near Dark is one of my all time faves.  Paxton's bar scene (Give me a shot of whatever donkey piss you're shoving down these cocksuckers throats) is epic.

Predator made my list

As did True Lies

Singin in the Rain is the very finest musical ever made,.  Make Em Laugh is infectious.

When we were kids, my best once asked me if I thought John voigt's character in Runaway Train could take Rambo.  It was a serious question for a 15 year old.  Ultimately we decided Rambo would win, but not by much.

The Dark Knight is epic

The Great Escape has a ridiculously awesome cast and is one hell of a movie.

Last of the Mohicans (Stay alive!! No matter what!  Stay alive...I WILL FIND YOU)  Awesome film.

Terrific list buddy.

• Like 2

32. The Princess Bride (1987)

This movie shouldn't be nearly as good as it is. The modern wraparounds, the mix of anachronistic comedy with romance, the moments of actual drama and adventure and sword fighting... it should be a complete mess. Yet it's absolutely wonderful. Peter Falk is a kindly old grandpa who visits his sick grandson and reads him a classic fairytale.... and the son -- against his best efforts -- becomes more and more engaged with the story. Another movie that's one of the most-quoted ever.

• Like 8

31. The Abyss (1989)

A suspense/thriller about an underwater oil rig crew that happens upon something mysterious. The first two-thirds of this movie is one of the most sustained, suspenseful things you'll see, and one of the best examples at how to set up character and location to pay off later with big, tense action scenes. The last third is the first time Cameron tried to do something a little different than pure, hardcore action... and he doesn't quite nail it, but it's still really impressive nonetheless. For those who say Cameron writes crappy dialogue: the blue-collar characters in THE ABYSS ring absolutely true on every level -- and the cast delivers in spades, even the lesser known actors. This was also famous for being one of the hardest shoots ever... after you see the movie, you need to watch the great making-of documentary, because almost all of it was shot "real for real".

• Like 8

Yep, Princess Bride...such a terrific film.  I've gushed over it already in my thread.....so I'll refrain from doing it again.  But...."MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA YOU KILLED MY FADDER, PREPARE TO DIE."  Sorry, impossible not to say it.

• Like 2

31. The Abyss (1989)

A suspense/thriller about an underwater oil rig crew that happens upon something mysterious. The first two-thirds of this movie is one of the most sustained, suspenseful things you'll see, and one of the best examples at how to set up character and location to pay off later with big, tense action scenes. The last third is the first time Cameron tried to do something a little different than pure, hardcore action... and he doesn't quite nail it, but it's still really impressive nonetheless. For those who say Cameron writes crappy dialogue: the blue-collar characters in THE ABYSS ring absolutely true on every level -- and the cast delivers in spades, even the lesser known actors. This was also famous for being one of the hardest shoots ever... after you see the movie, you need to watch the great making-of documentary, because almost all of it was shot "real for real".

I almost lost my mind when Harris tells Mastrantonio to FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!!!!  Powerful beyond words.  This was the second movie to make me shed a few tears.  

• Like 1

30. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

The movie that saved the Star Trek franchise. Gene Roddenberry's vision for THE MOTION PICTURE ended badly: wildly over-budget and saddled with mixed reviews...a film that instantly felt dated and surpassed by movies like STAR WARS and CLOSE ENCOUNTERS. Paramount decided to push ahead with a sequel, but they hedged their bets -- they slashed the budget by seventy-five percent and brought in a different production team, one that would work fast and more like a television crew. The two key men that came aboard were Harve Bennett and Nicholas Meyer: they searched through the original episodes to find potential characters and stories that might be developed into a film sequel. And they found "Space Seed" and realized that, with Khan, they had someone who was a worthy adversary for Kirk and who could be the centerpiece for a story with more action while still staying true to the Trek philosophy of exploration and adventure. The result is a great, great film, rich and satisfying on every level. Layers of character drama are built up and used for maximum emotional beats later, the action is well-planned out and shows cleverness and a use of three-dimensional space that (sadly) is mostly lacking even in today's space epics... and the movie ends poignantly and beautifully, feeling complete and yet open-ended. Amazing.

• Like 6

29. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)

Spielberg followed up JAWS with this wonderful (and very different) movie. The cinematic language on display here is astonishing -- Spielberg expertly frames compositions in ways that communicate tons of non-verbal information, and the movie has such a  relaxed and confident feel you'd think there was a veteran director behind it all. Richard Dreyfuss stars as an Indiana everyman who has a close encounter with something he can't explain, and he becomes driven to find out more about what it was, and who else it effected. This leads him on a journey that ultimately challenges the very essence of what's important to him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHN1RIK8Tkg

• Like 8

well I wasn't the least bit of a fan of Star Trek until J.J. Abrams. it's because of those that I even watched the old ones. Wrath of Khan was quite good I thought. The best of the originals (though I've only seen the first 3) I actually kind of liked the first one though.. third was.. okay I guess. need to see Nemesis though cause it has Tom Hardy in it :P

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

Close Encounters is awful...the spaceship looks fake, so do the mashed potatoes.......James

Is that your actual opinion? or do you just really miss James?  :lol:

• Like 2