Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

Have you seen how the old movies look? It's bloody awful, mate. And it's a space opera. If it doesn't have good effects then it is by definition a bad movie. Plus, the old cast is also pretty meh next to the new one.

You do realize that all of the blockbusters that look amazing now are going to age badly in 30 years, right?

That's just how VFX work. It's why story, character, acting, and directing (framing, editing, lighting) matter so much.

• Like 6

giphy.gif

FUCK THE INTERNET AGE.

In temple of Doom, The opening sequence where Indy and his friends jump off a plane and miraculously fall without harm into their little boat is 100 times more WTF than that nuke the fridge bullshit.

On the Internet, every bum is a smartass.

Edited by A Grey Future
  • Like 13

FUCK THE INTERNET AGE.

In temple of Doom, The opening sequence where Indy and his friends jump off a plane and miracously fall without harm into their little boat is 100 more WTF than that nuke the fridge bullshit.

Yes, people need to get off Spielberg's back about the fridge scene when he already did a more ridiculous scene with Indy like you said.
  • Like 2

Yes, people need to get off Spielberg's back about the fridge scene when he already did a more ridiculous scene with Indy like you said.

You know what s worse ?

Spielberg went on record saying that this wasn t Lucas idea but his and said that yes, it was a stupid idea.

Apologizing to the Honest Trailers generation, pfffffff lame.

• Like 3

21. The Thing (1982)

A John Carpenter masterpiece of paranoia, suspense, and terror. A small group of men at an Antarctic science station discover something frozen in a block of ice. What they discover -- all too late -- is this entity is an alien lifeform in deep hibernation, and it has the power to biologically and physically imitate any other lifeform it comes into contact with. Rob Bottin's physical prosthetics stand the test of time and are truly hideous and inventive sights to behold, and the movie is deeply, deeply unsettling (in the most entertaining sense of that word).

• Like 12

You know what s worse ?

Spielberg went on record saying that this wasn t Lucas idea but his and said that yes, it was a stupid idea.

Apologizing to the Honest Trailers generation, pfffffff lame.

You he didn't need to apologize at all.

I will say Shia swinging on the tree vines like a monkey was pretty bad though. :lol:

Edited by Empire Out
  • Like 1

Master and Commander depiction of the enemy, here the french navy, was as subtle as the bad guys depiction in Blomkamp s Elysium.

We scarcely see them at all, except for the French commander at the very end... and he comes across just as wily and clever as Aubrey. (Since the movie itself is squarely told from the perspective of an Englishman and Irishman on a ship in His Royal Majesty's navy, fighting for their empire's survival against Napoleon, it's also not surprising that the basic thrust of the story is pro-English.)

• Like 2

You do realize that all of the blockbusters that look amazing now are going to age badly in 30 years, right?

That's just how VFX work. It's why story, character, acting, and directing (framing, editing, lighting) matter so much.

The current generation of CGI certainly won't age as well as practical effects have. I mean look at something like 2001: A Space Odyssey, released 47 years ago but still looks amazing. I watched the original Star Wars today - again, 40 years old but still looks great, and the thing with that is, the least realistic looking visuals are the brand new CGI additions.

Terminator, Robocop, Star Wars, dozens of other action and science fiction films have aged well. 

Hell, even some of Avatar's visuals are degrading, and it's barely 5 years old. (Maybe this is just my own perception, but at release I thought it looked hyper-realistic, but now it just looks like a game)

Forget about 30 years time - give it just 10 years, and today's blockbusters will look much worse. (CGI from early 2000s looks like shit today, for the most part)

Practical effects age much better. James is just crazy.

• Like 2

FUCK THE INTERNET AGE.

In temple of Doom, The opening sequence where Indy and his friends jump off a plane and miracously fall without harm into their little boat is 100 times more WTF than that nuke the fridge bullshit.

I have no problem with that specific scene, or really any of the film in terms of how 'ridiculous' it might be. Indiana Jones was always silly, that was the point. I am just taking issue with the idea that you can "never go wrong with Indy" :P

The current generation of CGI certainly won't age as well as practical effects have. I mean look at something like 2001: A Space Odyssey, released 47 years ago but still looks amazing. I watched the original Star Wars today - again, 40 years old but still looks great, and the thing with that is, the least realistic looking visuals are the brand new CGI additions.

Terminator, Robocop, Star Wars, dozens of other action and science fiction films have aged well. 

Hell, even some of Avatar's visuals are degrading, and it's barely 5 years old. (Maybe this is just my own perception, but at release I thought it looked hyper-realistic, but now it just looks like a game)

Forget about 30 years time - give it just 10 years, and today's blockbusters will look much worse. (CGI from early 2000s looks like shit today, for the most part)

Practical effects age much better. James is just crazy.

perhaps to an extent, you're right about early 00s CGI though. but if there is true effort put into CGI today it can look incredibly realistic, Life of Pi comes to mind. I still can't believe that Tiger was CGI!   

Edited by Kalo