Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

31. The Abyss (1989)

A suspense/thriller about an underwater oil rig crew that happens upon something mysterious. The first two-thirds of this movie is one of the most sustained, suspenseful things you'll see, and one of the best examples at how to set up character and location to pay off later with big, tense action scenes. The last third is the first time Cameron tried to do something a little different than pure, hardcore action... and he doesn't quite nail it, but it's still really impressive nonetheless. For those who say Cameron writes crappy dialogue: the blue-collar characters in THE ABYSS ring absolutely true on every level -- and the cast delivers in spades, even the lesser known actors. This was also famous for being one of the hardest shoots ever... after you see the movie, you need to watch the great making-of documentary, because almost all of it was shot "real for real".

Love you. Wife.

Makes me cry every time.

Yep, Abyss s shoot was a nightmare, Cameron was cuckoo at the time, technicians wore t shirt saying " The Abuse"

My favourite Abyss anecdoctes remain Cameron pushing a poor Fox executive in the water tank and Ed Harris nearly dying in an underwater scene gasping for air.

Also, Poor Elisabeth Mastrantonio.

Edited by A Grey Future
  • Like 2

I can see reasons for listing it as either second or third best, but I'm worried to see what people would put ahead of it.

I put Star Trek 09 over it. :ph34r:

Edited by Empire
  • Like 3

I can see reasons for listing it as either second or third best, but I'm worried to see what people would put ahead of it.

1.Star Trek (2009)

2.Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) 

• Like 1

Yay for Close Encounters, and also for the number of Arnie movies.

Is that your actual opinion? or do you just really miss James?   :lol:

Miss James? Is he gone/banned?

• Like 1

Yay for Close Encounters, and also for the number of Arnie movies.

Miss James? Is he gone/banned?

No Baumer keeps mentioning what he wonders James would think of Tele's list. Suriously James banned?? with Baumer Moderating? he could say just about anything and they would take one look at his picture and be like.. well that's okay I guess. 

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

Nothing is wrong with me.

tumblr_mj1kujqmN31qkt655o3_250.gif

ST09 is an enjoyable enough film, but it's pretty mid-tier as far as Trek is concerned. It's like Abrams and co. were playing in the Trek universe but never quite really sure what made Trek great.

STID, though, it nothing more than a bunch of guys going "Hey! Wrath of Khan is great! Do you like Wrath of Khan? Because we do! Look how much we love Wrath of Khan!"

• Like 2

ST09 is an enjoyable enough film, but it's pretty mid-tier as far as Trek is concerned. It's like Abrams and co. were playing in the Trek universe but never quite really sure what made Trek great.

STID, though, it nothing more than a bunch of guys going "Hey! Wrath of Khan is great! Do you like Wrath of Khan? Because we do! Look how much we love Wrath of Khan!"

As someone who has never watched Trek, I actually think STID is better than ST09, but I do recognise that it could be annoying to fans of Wrath of Khan.

• Like 1

As someone who has never watched Trek, I actually think STID is better than ST09, but I do recognise that it could be annoying to fans of Wrath of Khan.

Into Darkness is a mess. Most specifically the character of Kahn, horribly written character.
  • Like 1

ST09 isn't the greatest Trek movie if you compare it to how a Trek movie traditionally would be. However, looking at them as just movies, I think is far and away the best!

Edited by Empire
  • Like 1

I like ST09. Pine is such pulls off the jackass role well. And the moment when Spock breaks is awesome.

everything about that movie is awesome. it's insanely, insanely good. 

• Like 1

ST is amazing and all, but it doesn't hit the greatness of some moments in STiD. 

STiD is one of those films where I left the theaters very disappointed, but with subsequent rewatchs I begun to prefer it over the predecessor.

• Like 1