Jandrew

Back To the Past: Jandrew Gets Cultured. Maltese Falcon, Arsenic, Blair Witch, etc.

You realize you better watch some Tarkovsky soon, right?

I also need to get on the 'kovsky soon. But I've kinda been dreading his movies cause I feel like they're films you need to be in a certain, extremely focused state-of-mind to watch.

This is an extremely good project you're doing, btw. I sort of did the same last year (watching classic movies) and I like to think my taste and ability to enjoy all kinds of movies have gotten way better as a result. This year I've focused more on alternative/avantgarde/controversial stuff and it's been really great.

Yeah I feel the same. My tastes has definitely gone up and I'm appreciating things more. And I don't know if this is a good or bad side effect, but I'm starting to realize just how bad most of the movies today are. Okay well they arent bad, but you can tell the movie climate has shifted from more art focused to commercial focused.

Even without all the CGI heavy effects and loud jokes and endless action scenes, I'm enjoying these old movies a lot more than I thought I would. Superman 78 puts all of todays superhero movies except for a select few to shame. And they don't make comedies like they used too. And I love seeing the decades progress. I'm starting to clean up with the 80's, but I still have a lottttttttt of the 70's and below to explore. I'll be doing this for a while, I like it.

My goal was to watch 100 before the year is up, but looks like I'll have that done before Summer even starts at this rate.

You realize you better watch some Tarkovsky soon, right?

I do now. I don't watch many foreign films. I should give them a go though. I have Journey to the West in my Netflix list, but haven't given it a go yet.

• Like 3

Yeah I feel the same. My tastes has definitely gone up and I'm appreciating things more. And I don't know if this is a good or bad side effect, but I'm starting to realize just how bad most of the movies today are. Okay well they arent bad, but you can tell the movie climate has shifted from more art focused to commercial focused.

Well, I think the past three years have been pretty incredible for movies. It is true that studio filmmaking is nothing like as ambitious as it has been in the past, but when you look beyond the very mainstream, the stuff is as good as ever imo.

And we should remember that most movies have always been bad, history only remembers the good stuff (or the exceptionally bad)

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't mean to say nothings good anymore, theres still a good amount pleasing mainstream and non-mainstream movies, I mean I watched 2014 Annie last night and it wasn't that bad, I just feel as a whole I'm not having as much fun with these newer movies as I currently am with these older movies. Though I still have a lot of 2006-2014 that i still need to see as well.

I mean like Kramer vs Kramer for instance. They just don't make anything like that anymore. And if they did, there'd probably be alot of sex and drug jokes, and language added for no reason whatsoever. Could you imagine Neighbors in 1980? Probably wouldn't have had an unnecessary penis joke every 6 minutes, but thats what our generation has embraced sadly. But youre right, theres still a lot of new movies that don't follow that path and are pretty dang good, and I'm glad.

And you're right, theres still a lot of shitty classics as well. Attack of the 50 Foot Woman still has me breaking shit. Also alot of the older movies are too-damn-long. I mean gaddamn.

• Like 1

Canonball Run was stupid. Its not even good background noise. So what's next, and what's down for tomorrow?

Boo.

Let's get you some 1950s/60s classics

The Caine Mutiny

Anatomy of a Murder

The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Point Blank (1967)

The Dirty Dozen

• Like 2

Just finished Romancing the Stone. It expires tonight so I needed to finish it. It was pretty good, I give a B. Charming, charismatic, and they made good use of the Colombia setting. Pretty good writing as well, and direction from Zemeckis. I will say the score was generic. You could've heard it in any 80's film. 

Numbers I was gonna watch Point Blank but I can't find it online or stream, so I'ma gonna catch up on Veep and then I'll do Anatomy of a Murder. On Her Majesty's may be the nightcap. I'll try to get to Conversation or Mulholland Drive tonight Jack, but if not I'll watch one of them tomorrow morning.

Oh yeah I just watched the Hedgehog in the Fog too, Jack. Neat. And 11 minutes what a surprise. It was pretty surreal, and even scary at one point, but good storytelling.

I would advise not to use a movie you're watching for the first time as background noise. It's not a great way to process a new film. Save that for the stuff you like and have seen a thousand times.

When I say background noise I don't mean literally. When I say that it just means I have to watch it while I do my work. I can still easily pay attention, I watched both Abyss and Cannonball Run yesterday while I did a final and I understood Abyss completely and my grade would be the same if I was just straight watching it. After a while, Cannonball just wasn't doing it for me, wouldn't have made a difference is what I was getting at.

Since I started this, the only movies that were truly background noise was one or two of the monster films. The rest I still payed attention, I just have to multitask with some. Summers almost here for me though, so theyll have my full attention soon.

Edited by Jandrew

I have to or I don't have time to fit them in. The only free time I had was 11-12pm, and before bed. I have to watch while working in order to fit them in. Movies during cooking, cleaning, sex, driving, partying, doing puzzles, playing Candy Crush, yeah you can't focus. But when I work I have devices side by side and it's not a problem really.

I have to or I don't have time to fit them in. The only free time I had was 11-12pm, and before bed. I have to watch while working in order to fit them in. Movies during cooking, cleaning, sex, driving, partying, doing puzzles, playing Candy Crush, yeah you can't focus. But when I work I have devices side by side and it's not a problem really.

Honestly, it's not worth watching them then. If you're just trying to reach a set number of movies, isn't that missing the point?

• Like 1