It Follows (2014)

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Critiquing. Always be critiquing. ALWAYS BE CRITIQUING. A-I-D-A. Attention, Interest, Decision, Action. Attention - Do I have you attention? Interest - Are you interested? I know you are, because it's fuck or walk. You critique or you hit the bricks.

Awesome.

Im laighing right now.

• Like 1

Absolutely loved it. Mitchell does so much with so little - there's loads of shots in this that truly startled me (too many to mention) but a few that stood out:

- That wonderful revolving circular shot in the school hall way

- When the tall man walks in the bedroom door right behind her friend.

- The unbroken opening shot.

- Everything in the pool (which, by the way, put me in mind of another unconventional and startling horror movie - Let the Right one in

- Jay's escape from the lake (and crash) in the car.

A pretty much perfect collision of story, atmosphere, visuals, sound & performances. I know the obvious parallel is that the entity represents STDs, but for me it felt more like a film about the complex relationship we have with our sexuality - we're fearful of it but also need it, and it's ever present in our lives. Many many people suppress their true sexuality & desires in order to conform to societal norms, and yet it's 'stalking' us. Sometimes, it manifests itself in ugly ways (affairs, abuse etc). Other times, we're able to suppress it and get on with our 'normal' lives (this is how I see that final shot).

LOVED IT.

• Like 2