Avatree

Return of the King is the Best Film of the Century. Fact.

ZD30 is really overrated and, imo, just rather mediocre. It's not terrible but it does nothing particularly impressive. I don't not recommend it, but I don't recommend it either. :P

BB and TDKR being too low worries me

Too low?

Again, I re-iterate: although I can't tell you which movies these all beat, since that would spoil the fun - please just trust me that all 100 beat some astonishingly popular movies. :)

• Like 1

29.89%

Before-Sunset-Poster.jpg

Director: Richard Linklater

Written by: Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy

Richard Linklater debuts on our list at #75 with the second of the Before trilogy.

RT Consensus: "Filled with engaging dialogue, Before Sunset is a witty, poignant romance, with natural chemistry between Hawke and Delpy.

8-Before-Sunrise-quotes.gif

• Like 5

29.97%

lost-in-translation-poster.jpg

Director: Sofia Coppola

Written by: Sofia Coppola

The closest we will get to having a Francis Ford Coppola film on the list, Lost in Translation places at #74.

RT Consensus: "Effectively balancing humor and subtle pathos, Sofia Coppola crafts a moving, melancholy story that serves as a showcase for both Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson."

tumblr_na2eazYpGV1rezg5lo5_500.gif

• Like 5

30.53%

jesse-james.jpg

Director: Andrew Dominik

Written by: Andrew Dominik

Another Brad Pitt film on our list takes the form of Andrew Dominik's adaptation of The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Not only does it have the rank of #73, it also boasts the achievement of longest title on the list...

RT Consensus: "On the strength of its two lead performances, Assassination is an expertly crafted period piece, and an insightful look at one of the enduring figures of American lore.

tumblr_lyxyv1lBVd1qbcvgfo1_500.gif

• Like 5

30.57%

pirates-of-the-caribbean-the-curse-of-th

Director: Gore Verbinski

Written by: Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio

A surprise, unexpected blockbuster that spawned a massive franchise - the original Pirates movie comes in at #72.

RT Consensus: "May leave you exhausted like the theme park ride that inspired it; however, you'll have a good time when it's over."

• Like 11

I love the Rotten Tomatoes summary - "you'll have a good time when it's over". Nothing could be more accurate...

Am I the only person on the forum who absolutely despises the Pirates movies? I really can't stand them. Almost as bad as Transformers imo. This film is easily my most loathed of the 100.

31.32%

blue-is-the-warmest-color-poster.jpg

Director: Abdellatif Kechiche

Written by: Abdellatif Kechiche, Ghalia Lacroix

Despite being considered by many critics the very best film of the year, it didn't even get a Best Foreign Language nomination at the Oscars. Nevertheless, Blue is the Warmest Color gets its due treatment here, at the only awards ceremony that matters.

RT Consensus: "Raw, honest, powerfully acted, and deliciously intense, it offers some of modern cinema's most elegantly composed, emotionally absorbing drama."

tumblr_mz8g0eY2qg1sd7t50o1_500.gif

• Like 3

Jesse James was too long and boring as fuck where as the first POTC was about as entertaining as they come.

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

PotC is utterly boring, the complete opposite of what is entertaining to me :P although I will say that it's slightly less terrible and slightly less boring than its sequels.

31.47%

wolf_of_wall_street_ver2_xxlg.jpeg

Director: Martin Scorsese

Written by: Terence Winter

Martin Scorsese's 3-hour film about money, money and money makes it in to the list at #70.

RT Consensus: "Funny, self-referential, and irreverent to a fault, WOWS finds Scorsese and DiCaprio at their most infectiously dynamic."

• Like 5

31.32%

blue-is-the-warmest-color-poster.jpg

Director: Abdellatif Kechiche

Written by: Abdellatif Kechiche, Ghalia Lacroix

Despite being considered by many critics the very best film of the year, it didn't even get a Best Foreign Language nomination at the Oscars. Nevertheless, Blue is the Warmest Color gets its due treatment here, at the only awards ceremony that matters.

RT Consensus: "Raw, honest, powerfully acted, and deliciously intense, it offers some of modern cinema's most elegantly composed, emotionally absorbing drama."

tumblr_mz8g0eY2qg1sd7t50o1_500.gif

:wub: