rockNrollaDIM

Digital Copies

• Founder / Operator

I'm pretty much the same, heh. I prefer real books to e-readers, but I love the idea of e-readers. I imagine we'll at least a period of another 5-10 years or so where there where digital content can still co-exist with physical media. After that, who knows...

I'm pretty much the same, heh. I prefer real books to e-readers, but I love the idea of e-readers. I imagine we'll at least a period of another 5-10 years or so where there where digital content can still co-exist with physical media. After that, who knows...

Same here. The idea is great, but I can't see myself needing access to hundreds of books at the same time. :P But if I ever got one for a gift, I am sure I would like it. That is what happened to me and the ipod. I never had any desire to buy one, but got it for a present, and now I use it.

Yea, I held on to my CDs as long as I could. Now, I've bought significantly less music than I did before since I got my first iPod. :lol:

Yeah I haven't bought a CD in years, even before I got the iPod. But yeah, now there is zero reason for me to buy one :P Edited by 75live

• Founder / Operator

Only one I've bought in the last three years was the new Coldplay album. Technically, I do have the Inception score as well...but it was given to me for free ahead of its release by someone that works with Warner Bros, so I don't count that one. :lol:

I only buy movies on iTunes now. I'll never have the patience/time to sit and pop in a DVD and watch it for two hours so iTunes works perfectly.

Is this really what we've come to now...we're too lazy to get up and put a disk in a player? This is why I fear for the end of physical media (blu-rays, video games, it's already basically happened with cd's/music - but I'm fine with that). I like collecting movies and video games, but this attitude, plus the cost savings for companies, is what is going to kill off physical media, and that will be a shitty day for myself and many others.
  • Like 1

Is this really what we've come to now...we're too lazy to get up and put a disk in a player? This is why I fear for the end of physical media (blu-rays, video games, it's already basically happened with cd's/music - but I'm fine with that). I like collecting movies and video games, but this attitude, plus the cost savings for companies, is what is going to kill off physical media, and that will be a shitty day for myself and many others.

I couldn't agree more with this
  • Like 1

The downside with digital downloads (at this point) is that their bandwidth isn't at the level of Blu-rays (yet). But at some point either the bandwidth will be identical, or compression techniques/codecs will improve to where you don't see a difference. So, at that point, does it matter?For example, RED has developed a codec for their media that offers extremely high-quality 4K at around the bandwidth of DV video. It's not a consumer technology yet, but I don't see it really being that far off.