rockNrollaDIM

Digital Copies

Anyone want to explain the deal with these is? I would like to redeem mine that come with DVD's/Blu's but I've noticed some of them already expired... I don't know if I want all these movies on this shitty laptop that might die anyway. How does it work? If I save it to iTunes is it mine forever? It would be nice to have a bunch of films ready to go, if/when I get an iPad...

Basically, a lot of them do expire after a few months after the initial DVD/Blu-ray release. It's really frustrating. Hell, I didn't realize that my copy of Star Trek had a digital copy before the damn thing expired. But yeah, if you upload them onto iTunes, they'll always be on there. You can watch them on the computer or a video-playing iWhatever.However, most studios, including WB and Sony, are shifting towards Ultraviolet Digital copies, which can be streamed on any device with Flixster. However, the big problem there is that you need an internet connection to watch them, so it's kind of annoying.

They just have to do everything possible to make it fuckin' difficult, don't they? Why do they even expire? If it's only redeemable one times who cares if you use it now or a year from now? I'm annoyed because I was just looking through my Blu's and saw that The Town expired like 2 days ago- like you said I didn't even think about using it until now. And some/most studios don't even use iTunes... so what is the point? :lol:

I hardly ever download the digital copies so for anyone interested, I took a quick look and grabbed the following codes. First come first serve, just shoot me a PM.

Ultraviolet codes:

Harry Potter DHII

Horrible Bosses

Hangover II

Cowboys and Aliens

Green Lantern

Digital Copy codes that don't require CDs: (best kind)

Transformers III

Fast Five

Thor

Captain America

Kungfu Panda 2

Added a couple more..

Edited by Jim Shorts

Yeah I lost some too. Plus now my computer is out of memory so I can't download them anyway because I have no more room. Unless I get another hard drive but don't feel like spending the money on another hard drive just so I can watch a movie on the small screen on my ipod

Digital copies will usually be between 700 mb to 1.3 gb a piece.

yeah that's about right. I have a few that are at least 2 gbs a piece too. Maybe some point this year I will get a new laptop anyway so I can save the other movies, but I have to make sure I don't mess up with the syncing so it erases all the other stuff and I have to do it twice. I know there is a way to avoid that, but I never had to worry about it before.

Probably has something to do with region codes.

Region codes are just for the physical blu ray(A, B or C) and DVD(1-6). The digital redeem codes have just been locked to the UK store and don't work if you try the Australian or US iTunes Stores.

• Founder / Operator

Hate 'em. I mean, when I start travelling more they could be quite convenient (though I'd rather take the time to write or read)...but I prefer having a physical copy of every movie I own. Gotta keep the shelf collection going. :)

Hate 'em. I mean, when I start travelling more they could be quite convenient (though I'd rather take the time to write or read)...but I prefer having a physical copy of every movie I own. Gotta keep the shelf collection going. :)

I agree. Although, I have a feeling they are going to be going to completely streaming or digital copies at some point. I think blu ray may be the last disc format. But like you, I want things on my shelf. ;p

Yea, I've often wondered about Blu being the last disc format as well. I really hope that isn't the case though.

I hope that isn't the case either, but I wouldn't be surprised. I can see people having to buy "hard drive" type things and that holds all the movies and such by downloading. I won't like that at all. Of course, I would have to go with it, but won't enjoy doing so. :PIt's basically the same reason I don't have an e-reader. I like the idea of the actual book. Plus I don't read as much so it isn't practical for me yet.