Olive

Release Dates Discussion | Avengers Endgame 2019

5 hours ago, LPLC said:

NWH ?

No word yet; the mainland China poster identifies Tom Holland as the star of Spider-Man: Far From Home (Mark Wahlberg is identified as the star of Transformers 4).

Personally, I'm expecting that if No Way Home does get a release date, the release date will be given almost immediately before its actual release (like, 2-3 days in advance) since that's how China has handled plenty of other movies that ran into political turbulence (such as 少年的你, Better Days in 2019) [although feel free to take my speculation with a grain of salt; I have no insider information].

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

What would even be the point of releasing NWH now? I highly doubt it would make any significant amount of money

There are a few possible reasons—

Politically, it would be a way to demonstrate that China's still open to the very biggest of Hollywood movies (No Way Home is the biggest movie ever to be theatrically shut out from China, at least in the current era of China as a box office giant). A delayed release for No Way Home would massively hurt the movie's potential box office revenue, thereby punishing Marvel, but also signal a willingness on the government's behalf to start forgiving Marvel as Phase Four continues (and as Disney considers possible Marvel-themed projects like expansions in Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland).

Box office-wise, if there's a hole in the release schedule that needs filling, No Way Home would likely bring in more revenue than, say, a re-release of an older Hollywood movie (over the past year and a half or so, China has re-released titles like Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and Avatar to fill seats in theaters in otherwise down periods).

8 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

What would even be the point of releasing NWH now? I highly doubt it would make any significant amount of money

China loves MCU. Even if it release in April it will do great. Unlike Shang Chi or Eternals, there is no reason to hold up NWH. It just seem China does not want to show American SH saving the world again and again :-) So its product of tension between US and China. Let us see what happens to Dr Strange 2. 

Yeah, I still remember the big "idol concert" that Mainland China held for Marvel and OG Avengers team back in the day when Endgame got premiered, it's obvious that Chinese people did support Marvel to a great extent. And they still do and they love Spidey too. Even if NWH can only have a late release date and doesn't do much in the mainland anymore, it's still a hopeful sign that at least things might come back to normal for the brand.

4 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Why is Uncharted coming out on a Monday?

Because the Chinese film bureau operates in mysterious ways. The Chinese government doesn't believe in explaining release dates; they simply proclaim release dates and leave the speculating for mere mortals.

I assume that putting Uncharted on a Monday is partially intended to reduce its potential gross as it'll hold IMAX/premium screens for a solid four weekdays before losing most of those to The Batman the second its first weekend rolls around.

• Astonished 1

9 hours ago, porginchina said:

Because the Chinese film bureau operates in mysterious ways. The Chinese government doesn't believe in explaining release dates; they simply proclaim release dates and leave the speculating for mere mortals.

I assume that putting Uncharted on a Monday is partially intended to reduce its potential gross as it'll hold IMAX/premium screens for a solid four weekdays before losing most of those to The Batman the second its first weekend rolls around.

Do they have something against Tom Holland?

For the first time in what feels like forever, a Hollywood blockbuster is entering China somewhat day-and-date with the rest of the world— Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore, April 8.

And in other "at least it's got a release date" news, Hotel Transylvania 4: Transformania bows on April 3.

• Astonished 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:32 AM, WayneBorg said:

Can Minions 2 get a release in China or is it unlikely? 

Near-lock for releasing in China. Illumination is pretty reliable for getting Chinese release slots and Universal's been doing pretty well this year in getting their movies approved. Question is when it'll release since July is typically not an allowed zone for foreign productions. Could release in June, could release in September.