CaptainJackSparrow

Transformers One | September 20, 2024 | Prequel | Paramount | Animated

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Why the heck is T1 and Wild Robot being released just one week apart from the other? One of them needs to move!

IMAX is a big thing where this movie seems at a disadvantage: both it and WOLFS have a booking and it's only gonna get half a screen for one week, wild robot will take over matinees the following week.

Too late now to move it up to August though, and tbh stacking them together in September does seem like the next best option if they both want to come out this year but still have as much distance from Wicked and Moana as possible.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Why the heck is T1 and Wild Robot being released just one week apart from the other? One of them needs to move!

They were originally gonna come out on the same weekend because of T-ones release date change, but TWR pushed itself back a week when that happened.

Though, I wish they had moved it to mid to late October. That would’ve given it more breathing room.

• Like 1

Honestly they're probably both gonna be able to keep theaters until November unless one of them just completely tanks. Probably is a net benefit to just have as much distance as possible from Wicked/Moana as possible, but really think TF ought to have gone with the August date if they were able to finish in time.

Do feel Focus ought to delay Piece by Piece to like December or something if they have prestige aspirations for it. Might not be the same target dem as TWR but it will take some its audience away. The runway really would be clear for Transformers and Wild Robot for two months if they did.

• Like 2

I’m curious how this does. Thinking Mutant Mayhem numbers for this (maybe higher if not right next to Wild Robot). Action animation has a mixed record OS unless it has the Disney/Pixar/Mario brands. Mutant Mayhem barely did 70m OS, and Lightyear crawled to 100m iirc. Lego Batman barely got to 130m and the SpiderVerse franchise whilst making solid numbers lagged behind domestic. Even the more comedic examples like Super Pets and Bad Guys did around 140m OS.

• Like 1

Feel both Transformers and Wild Robot have $150m+ domestic potential if they weren’t right next to each other.

• Heart 1

The sad thing is that Wild Robot also looks great. 

It’ll be so stupid if two good movies hurt each other because the studios was dumb enough to put them to compete directly to the same target audience.

• Sad 1

Actually, TF1 got to September first. It was delayed from July in May 2023 and then Wild Robot officially set its date in December. They were still dicks later moving back to Wild Robot's date forcing that movie to move back a week too.

I guess for what it's worth Dreamworks knew what they were getting into setting that date. Conceivably Wild Robot could've gone in August too since it's got an MPA rating but it just doesn't feel right imo.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

The lack of competition after Wild Robot probably does still mean they can match IF/Garfield's legs even with no summer weekdays, so assuming good word-of-mouth TF1 could get to $150mil with a $40-45mil opening and Wild Robot could with a $35-40mil opening. There likely will be pent-up family movie demand by that point which could benefit both of them.

Edited by AniNate
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 12:50 AM, Mojoguy said:

The answer is they both think they are going to win or they think they are very different movies.

Transformers 1 is advertising itself as a silly action comedy.  The Wild Robot is marketing itself as artistic and dramatic.

26 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

So is this going to be PG or PG-13? I mean, my first guess would be PG, but the “badass-otron” line and the shot of Bumblebee trying to flip the bird does make me wonder.

Likely PG but we will know tomorrow as it got rated in Australia Saturday (rated PG there).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Squibbonator said:

So is this going to be PG or PG-13? I mean, my first guess would be PG, but the “badass-otron” line and the shot of Bumblebee trying to flip the bird does make me wonder.

Okay might be some merit. Didn't get rated this week even though its rated in Australia. Based on what was leaked, its more violent than most PG animations and those jokes could be what MPA could cause to give it a PG-13 but I think Paramount might be fighting it.

• Heart 1