grim22

JURASSIC WORLD WEEKEND ACTUALS | TRIPLE RECORD!!!! (DOM - 208.8M; OS - 315.3M; WW - 524.1M). DOWN GOES AVENGERS.

Nah, because I'm well aware it'll make shit-tons of money. :lol:

Yeah, but on the inside, way deep down in your soul, you'll be saying to yourself "Damn it! Why the FUCK is this thing making so much money! I CANT EVEN."

Someone asked where I was tonight.....Saw Spy and  watched the Hawks win their third Stanley Cup in six years.  

Jurassic World sold out the 7pm show where I was t btw.

• Like 2

Someone asked where I was tonight.....Saw Spy and watched the Hawks win their third Stanley Cup in six years.

Jurassic World sold out the 7pm show where I was t btw.

Still not as good as the San Greatcisco Giants.

3 out of 5 ;)

• Like 1

We're talking my personal preference. I prefer to see a distinct artistic vision/expression on screen, whether it's one person, a couple of people, or focused and singular unit that happens to be one creative voice (Pixar, Studio Ghibli, etc). The more that gets messed with the less I tend to like the final product. It's not necessarily bad, it's just generic and bland. And that's exactly what most blockbusters are. It's particularly bad in American animation (IMO) because aside from a couple of exceptions, the key driving force is simply trying to drive kids to the merchandise, instead of telling an interesting, compelling story that happens to have merchandise you can get (and there is a difference between those two).

I'm pretty sour on almost all of the Dreamworks animated catalog (that I've seen, anyway), for that exact reason. The recent Disney stuff is somewhat better, but still wearyingly bland in the types of stories and characters it focuses on: they're all homogenized beyond belief. Recent Pixar hasn't been as good as earlier Pixar, but at least (for the most part) they're more interesting and unique in terms of the characters and stories they choose to tell.

Something I want to add to this post: of the post TS3-Pixar movies, it's commonly agreed Monsters U is actually the best of them, compared to Brave or Cars 2 definitely. When it came out, people were saying it belonged with 2000-2005 era Pixar. However, nowadays, no one even mentions it when talking about recent Pixar, even saying Inside Out is going to bring the studio back from a dark era. It's because Monsters U, even more than Brave or Cars 2, lacks a clear directorial vision, instead settling with an "let's imitate Pete Docter" mode of operation. Say what you want about Toy Story 3, but it has a much different tone and filmmaking style compared to the first two, with its darker humor and generally tense atmosphere. Unkrich let that movie shine with his own style, something that MU didn't, and something that, as Tele mentions, most DreamWorks movies nowadays fit into the homogenized version. Only HTTYD1-2, KFP2, and maybe Mad 3 feel like a directorial vision from DreamWorks nowadays (of course, Shrek 1 and 2 also fit in there, but that's older DreamWorks). Disney is pretty homogenized too; only Wreck-It Ralph of their recent work has felt different than generic Disney stuff. Basically, I'm hyped for Inside Out because it looks like it could be the only auteur-based animation this year, thanks to Docter.

I purposely didn't mention Lord/Miller in this post because I didn't want to come off as a fanboy

2017 is already stuffed, but I guess they could still put it anywhere at this point. Wherever they put it, anything not named Star Wars will shutter.

Pull a Star Wars and take Christmas 2017. Jurassic could work well there