baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

I'm a little shocked that Ethan thinks most comedies suck. If I may, can I recommend some for you? This is serious.

Try watching the original Porky's. The humour transcends age and generation imo.

Try Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I too think humour is transcendental. Sure,it might look like the 80's but the humour is pretty funny.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is excellent.

Have you seen Back to the Future?

Ethan's reaction to those movies:

Porky's: American Pie did it better

Fast Times: American Pie 2 did it better

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Makes no sense, would rather be watching Ted

Back to the future: Hot tub time machine handled time travel better

Edited by grim22
  • Like 6

I wouldn't recommend Porky's to a Millenial. 

Really?  You don't think Porky's is funny?  I honestly don't know anyone who has seen it that didn't think it was funny.  The scene in the principals office about the sketch artist is one of the all time funniest scenes, imo.

• Like 1

I'm a little shocked that Ethan thinks most comedies suck. If I may, can I recommend some for you? This is serious.

Try watching the original Porky's. The humour transcends age and generation imo.

Try Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I too think humour is transcendental. Sure,it might look like the 80's but the humour is pretty funny.

I'll try some of those

And of course I love BTTF

Really?  You don't think Porky's is funny?  I honestly don't know anyone who has seen it that didn't think it was funny.  The scene in the principals office about the sketch artist is one of the all time funniest scenes, imo.

It's fine as a product of its time, but Millenials are hard on sexism and stereotypes, which run rampant throughout.

Edited by Chaz

I'm a little shocked that Ethan thinks most comedies suck.  If I may, can I recommend some for you?  This is serious.

Try watching the original Porky's.  The humour transcends age and generation imo.

Try Fast Times at Ridgemont High.  I too think humour is transcendental. Sure,it might look like the 80's but the humour is pretty funny.

Office Space

Anchorman

Waynes World

Ghostbusters

Airplane

Blazing Saddles

The Jerk

Duck Soup

Caddyshack

Just to name a few

• Like 1

Ferris Bueller was the one "classic" where I couldn't believe what a piece of shit it was when I first watched it.

btw this is a funny conversation to come up cos I'm watching animal house right now.

• Like 1

I liked Jurassic World, but it's like Avatar in that its über success is making me hate it. It does not deserve outgross the original adjusted.

I think JP1 is still safe, JW doesn't seem to have the chances at $700m that people thought it had coming off the first 10 days.

Edited by TServo2049

Ethan's reaction to those movies:

Porky's: American Pie did it better

Fast Times: American Pie 2 did it better

Ferris Bueller's Day Off: Makes no sense, would rather be watching Ted

Back to the future: Hot tub time machine handled time travel better

Lindsay-Lohan-Spits-Out-Drink.gif

Well done grim, you made me LOL

I think JP1 is still safe, JW doesn't seem to have the chances at $700m that people thought it had coming off the first 10 days.

JP1 is 700 adjusted? Geez I thought it was somewhere between 600-650. Never mind then.

Animal House is the one for me that disappointed. It's not bad, but nowhere in that movie is there a single laugh out loud moment. It's all chuckles.

I think Animal House is pretty classic but I do think it was a product of its time.  I think there are comedies that transcend time.  

• Like 1

Office Space

Anchorman

Waynes World

Ghostbusters

Airplane

Blazing Saddles

The Jerk

Duck Soup

Caddyshack

Just to name a few

Office Space is something I have liked more each time I have watched it. In college, it was just a funny movie, but after working in the IT/Consulting industry, it is an amazing satire of the way companies are run.

• Like 2