baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

People who talk about how much they hate blockbusters being family-friendly are the worst, btw. Like kids shouldn't be able to enjoy big dumb movies with the rest of us

Don't tell these guys that the ones they have a hard-on for were also made for children.

• Like 1

But STID was not grimdark, far from it. The trailers made it seem that way the same way the Ultron trailers teased a major dark moment for the Avengers team. The actual movie didn't have that much danger or high stakes in it.

It's totally JJ's attempt at grimdark. Starts early on when Cumber has that guy blow up a building and continues on thru Kirk's death, Kirk's mentor's death, all the conspiracy stuff, etc. And none of it works

People who talk about how much they hate blockbusters being family-friendly are the worst, btw. Like kids shouldn't be able to enjoy big dumb movies with the rest of us

In the 80's, the big dumb blockbusters were both rated R AND marketed towards kids.

All I remember well is a voodoo lady turning into the size of a skyscraper and exploding into crabs.

NEVER FORGET

IMG_1051.PNG

That movie had some truly stupid shit. 

• Like 1

It's totally JJ's attempt at grimdark. Starts early on when Cumber has that guy blow up a building and continues on thru Kirk's death, Kirk's mentor's death, all the conspiracy stuff, etc. And none of it works

The conspiracy stuff may be the most mishandled subplot in a space movie since the trade embargoes in Star Wars Episode 1.

• Like 1

I'm cool with Blockbusters getting PG ratings and stuff as long as quality isn't sacrificed.

The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe is still epic as hell

• Like 1

Don't tell these guys that the ones they have a hard-on for were also made for children.

Which they enjoyed when they were children.

NOTHING will ever be as cool as your favorite movie when you were 12. Or something like that.

• Like 2

I liked STID, but damn, until today I still never fully understood the story and why there people frozen inside bombs or whatever :lol: Or what was the big secret to defeat Khan that we never hear the old Spock telling the new one. 

Edited by CJohn

Back in my day kids watched Robocop and Predator. They cried but their balls dropped the following day.

• Like 1

Yeah, STID was trying to be grimdark. The true "not actually grimdark" bait-and-switch of 2013 was Iron Man 3. Remember the "falling" poster (that looked just like the STID crashing-Enterprise poster)? Remember the TDKR-esque trailers with the extra Tony and Mandarin voiceovers that I swear must have been recorded for the trailers?

Edited by TServo2049

Yeah, STID was trying to be grimdark. The true "not actually grimdark" bait-and-switch of 2013 was Iron Man 3. Remember the "falling" poster (that looked just like the STID crashing-Enterprise poster)? Remember the TDKR-esque trailers with the extra Tony and Mandarin voiceovers that I swear must have been recorded for the trailers?

The first Iron Man 3 trailer is probably the best trailer I've ever seen

yeah one of those movies had really smart marketing.