baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

All I was saying is that there's a real possibility of IO and JW finishing above Terminator/Magic Mike for the 3 day. Terminator is getting awful reviews and XXL is going to be extremely frontloaded. 

I hope JW fourpeats like Furious 7, that would be total amaze.

• Like 2

Why do some of you continue to do this?  Why do you equate critical reception to WOM?

Because the reviews I read weren't uppity snobbish reviewers who trash every popcorn flick, they were internet blogs who were looking for a fun time at the movies.

Based on what I read it seems like the movie is messy, undermines a lot of what was great about the first two, and the action isn't great either.

People who enjoyed JW (which was by no means a great critical darling) are bashing Terminator. That to me says it won't get nearly the same WOM.

Why do some of you continue to do this?  Why do you equate critical reception to WOM?

Because everytime I've seen the Terminator trailer in a theater (in front of Avengers 2 on opening night), everyone was laughing by the second half of the trailer. It's clear GAs aren't taking it seriously as a tentpole. 

For something like Minions, critical reception doesn't matter, since little kids will enjoy most anything so long as it's funny to them. But for a franchise that already had a horrible installment 6 years ago, it needed to have some great reviews to have a decent shot at success. 

I don't know a single person (average Joe/Jane) who's hyped for Terminator. I've heard plenty get excited about Minions, Pixels and even F4, though. 

Because everytime I've seen the Terminator trailer in a theater (in front of Avengers 2 on opening night), everyone was laughing by the second half of the trailer. It's clear GAs aren't taking it seriously as a tentpole. 

For something like Minions, critical reception doesn't matter, since little kids will enjoy most anything so long as it's funny to them. But for a franchise that already had a horrible installment 6 years ago, it needed to have some great reviews to have a decent shot at success. 

I don't know a single person (average Joe/Jane) who's hyped for Terminator. I've heard plenty get excited about Minions, Pixels and even F4, though. 

Such BS.

Edited by baumer

I hope JW fourpeats like Furious 7, that would be total amaze.

JW: $37 million

IO: $36 million 

Terminator: $33 million 

Magic Mike XXL: $25 million 

Ted 2: $18 million 

It's certainly possible if Terminator underperforms. IO could also do it, too. July 4th is small enough for JW/IO to hold decently. 

Saw Minions last week, and I can assure you WOM won't be good among teen, adults, and ever older kids. I LOVE minions (I have minion key chains and things like that) but the movie was super boring. I was asleep for like half of it. I mean, I enjoyed Turbo, Epic, or other mediocre animated films, even Home. I asked some of my friends who had already seen it, and literally ALL of them said they fell asleep too. But the little kids seemed to enjoy it. That's why I think Minions will affect IO only on OW. I hope it won't outgross IO, at least in NA.

This! I also watched Minions yesterday and it was super boring, I can't believe how bad this movie was, and I'm a big Minions fan.

Even my little sister fell asleep watching, lol.

$500m is a big deal. Doesn't even need that good of a Sunday number to get there. Hopefully they will show some guts and declare $500m this morning.

Universal doesn't deserve this mega blockbuster.

Other studios like Paramount would be screaming to the moon about how big their movie was if it was making JW numbers. Universal is a being bunch of wimps with the constant underestimates for JW. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Problem for Terminator is that it was always reliant on a great story to connect with audiences. The same is not true of monster romps like Jurassic or Transformers.

Cameron created two classic movies with storytelling that can never be matched and thus it feels like a doomed franchise.

• Like 6

NQHKSVE.gif

Not because it is you, simply because I never believe when people say they had their entire audiences laughing at a serious trailer. 

And I am one of the people who actually thinks T5 won't perform well at all. 

• Like 5

This! I also watched Minions yesterday and it was super boring, I can't believe how bad this movie was, and I'm a big Minions fan.

Even my little sister fell asleep watching, lol.

Ah man. I was gonna go watch it this weekend.

Maybe I'll go watch IO again instead.

Such BS.

You think I'm kidding? When Arnold came on screen, I heard more than one chuckle and actually one groan. Not a good sign for any trailer that doesn't include jokes/goofy one liners. By the end of the trailer, the people around me were more or less saying 'that looks stupid'. They didn't sound excited to go see it. And I don't blame them - the official trailer plays like one of those Honest Movie Trailers, just without the over-the-top narration/subtitles. 

Either way, JW exploding like it did will hurt Terminator even if reviews don't affect it. 

Edited by mahnamahna
  • Like 2

Universal doesn't deserve this mega blockbuster.

Other studios like Paramount would be screaming to the moon about how big their movie was if it was making JW numbers. Universal is a being bunch of wimps with the constant underestimates for JW. :ph34r:

I think they still don't believe it. They probably think they suffered an Inception or something and that they will awake some day and see the real numbers of JW. 

• Like 4

You think I'm kidding? When Arnold came on screen, I heard more than one chuckle. By the end of the trailer, the people around me were more or less saying 'that looks stupid'. They didn't sound excited to go see it. And I don't blame them - the official trailer plays like one of those Honest Movie Trailers, just without the over-the-top narration/subtitles. 

Either way, JW exploding like it did will hurt Terminator even if reviews don't affect it. 

Nope, I don't believe you.  Saying it looks stupid is one thing.  Laughing is another.

I laughed at the trailer too but it was a good laugh, not in a way that says it's stupid.  There is humour in the trailer and sometimes nostalgia makes you laugh.

I've seen some really dumb trailers to some really dumb movies and I have never laughed the way you are saying.  

• Like 1

I have seen the T5 trailer a few times. No laughs. No reaction tbh, just like to every trailer that is not a comedy. I have a friend who told me he would like to see it, even thought he hasn't seen any Terminator movie before, since it is a reboot on the Days of Future Past style. 

You need watch IO! This is a masterpiece. :wub:

Oh I did already! Loved it!

I was just also looking forward to Minions, but if it's as boring as you say, maybe I won't rush out to see it OW and wait for reviews to decide if it's worth my money.

• Like 1

Next weekend is going to look a little strange. 2009 was the last time the 4th of july was on a saturday. So films will increase normally on a Friday, then drop big time on Saturday and then increase moderately on Sunday. If IO is to follow UP, it would have a 56% increase on Friday, drop 32% Saturday and increase by about 7% Sunday. Not sure what to compare JW to.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2009-07-05&track=up.htm

Most people are off work Friday, so Thursday should see a nice uptick too.

• Like 1