CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Mendes got plenty of creative control on Skyfall (and Spectre, from the looks of it), and it worked out swimmingly. It's clearly his movie and the film is all the better for it, and so was the box office. The last three Mission Impossible movies have had great reception (and by that I mean 3, 4, and 5, because apparently Rogue Nation is really good), and they've all had clear elements of their individual director's style and creative ideals. Raimi got plenty of power for the first two Spider-Man movies, and I'd say most people loved them. It wasn't until the studio forced Venom into the third one that their started being behind-the-scenes drama not related to Tobey's back, and it showed in the final product. For the first Avengers, everything tied into that movie, instead of the other way around, so for the most part Whedon got to make his movie, and it worked out. So while it is rare, there's enough examples to remain hopeful, I suppose.

Anyway, looks like the WC is going to determine whether Minions is just merely huge or whether it can potentially challenge Shrek The Third's record, but even 43 million would put the record out of reach.  And even if Minions looks mad annoying, a record is a record, so I'm rooting for it. I think that anything over 330 million domestic would (hopefully) put to rest any discussion of whether the Minions are the biggest part of this franchise's drawing power. There's still plenty of people who say its Gru. 

If it drops from DM2 it definitely means the kids and Gru are a factor, even if not the main one.

• Like 1

If Toy Story 3 and now Minions couldn't even reach Shrek the Turd's record, I honestly don't think Finding Dory will either.

Finding Dory, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2 and Despicable Me 3 are the only legit contenders. I am gonna throw The Secret Life of Pets 2 into the conversation. I legit believe the first one next Summer will be gigantic and a sequel will be greenlighted. 

Finding Dory, Toy Story 4, Frozen 2 and Despicable Me 3 are the only legit contenders. I am gonna throw The Secret Life of Pets 2 into the conversation. I legit believe the first one next Summer will be gigantic and a sequel will be greenlighted. 

Frozen 2. None of the others

• Like 1

You guys are going to need to bust out Carrie Fisher. "Help us Obi-Wan Dory. You're our only hope."

I am excited for October. There is a good mix of mega bombs and quality movies hitting big numbers there.

Expectations are gonna be much lower by the time it opens I think

It is gonna depend on the trailers, marketing and reviews. Right now an opening around 125-130M seems likely. All might change. There is one year to go.