Trainwreck (2015)

21 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This movie was great. I'd probably rate it as my favorite comedy movie this year ahead of Spy. My 3rd favorite movie of the summer behind Avengers: Age of Ultron and Inside Out. The script and dialogue had me consistently laughing a lot. Amy Schumer did both a great job acting in this movie and writing. I've seen some people say she was the weak link in the movie acting wise. I disagree. I thought she was both good in the raunchy comedic elements and equally effective in the dramatic scenes. Trainwreck was definitely a by-number romantic comedy, but I was amazed how well the directing team pulled this off. The characters were so relate-able. The relationship banter was super realistic..I was surprised by how much heart this movie had too. I teared up in two scenes.  Lebron James absolutely stole the show. He was freaking hilarious. I'd definitely love to see him in more pictures. John Cena was great too. His part at the movie theater was hilarious. 

My only real complaint sometimes the tone changed from light raunchy comedy to heavy-dark drama. People should definitely check this movie. It is a great comedy with terrific performances by the cast. Amy Schumer deserves a GG nomination.

A

I was laughing so much at this film; it was hysterical. Lebron might be a tad overrated, but Tilda stole the movie for sure, and Miller deserves special mention too. Hader and Schumer were also great leads, and their chemistry was pretty good. I definitely wanted more Cena too; he made the most of his screentime. I guess I'm a sucker for dramedies because I was never really bored with this movie; there's not a weak link in the cast and it's just super enjoyable. A

Edited by Blankments

Man, I had a lot of problems here. First and foremost, I've decided I simply don't like Apatow as a filmmaker. His shot and editing choices can drive me crazy within a scene (Judd's thought: I have all this coverage and damn it, I'm gonna use it!), not to mention his over reliance on current pop culture references and celebrities. I chuckled sometimes but the tonal shifts and overlong running time took me out of it towards the end. Schumer gives a pretty good performance, though.

Man, I had a lot of problems here. First and foremost, I've decided I simply don't like Apatow as a filmmaker. His shot and editing choices can drive me crazy within a scene (Judd's thought: I have all this coverage and damn it, I'm gonna use it!), not to mention his over reliance on current pop culture references and celebrities. I chuckled sometimes but the tonal shifts and overlong running time took me out of it towards the end. Schumer gives a pretty good performance, though.

Something about 40 Year Old Virgin felt tight and something about Funny People felt honest. Otherwise I think he's struggled a lot as a director (though he's consistently proven he's great in a writing team/writer's room) and Trainwreck while not a This is 40 kind of disaster could've been such a better paced movie in the hands of any other comedy director. 

Though with Apatow you get so many asides that some are bound to be memorable. The yelling in the movie theater still makes me chuckle. 

was enjoying this but I thought it kinda shit the bed in the third act.

Here's another problem I had though, this might be an exclusive to me thing though but there's a fair amount of gags that amy re-does from her stand-up or her tv show. Like all of the magazine jokes she's done before. I get that someone's always hearing a joke for the first time (for the vast majority of the audience for this at least) but it just bothered me.

• Like 1

Vanessa Bayer tried her best to ruin this movie for me but thankfully the writing and other cast members were able to negate her evil presence. Though it is an Apatow movie so it was too long yada yada literally everyone already said that...

7/10