grim22

Cruddy Weekend Estimates: A-M 24.77m, Pix 24m, Minions 22m, Trainwreck 17.2m, Southpaw 16.5m, PT 12.5m,

It's pretty dark hour for Marvel if finishing 25m above TIH is celebrated. Surely finishing 25m ahead of Green Lantern would be considered as a flop for something like Aquaman.

Would depend on Aquaman's budget. If it had GLs budget that would still be quite the flop.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

Given inflation and 3D, that performance looks less impressive, though.

I'd say a TIH level performance is the floor for Marvel right now which isn't bad when the overseas market pushes the WW total above 400 m these days.

Yeah, people pretty much accepted Aurora hurt TDKR, so why did we expect Ant-Man to be immune to another shooting?

One shooting had international headlines and was news for weeks. This one stopped trending on Twitter after a couple of hours.

It's pretty dark hour for Marvel if finishing 25m above TIH is celebrated. Surely finishing 25m ahead of Green Lantern would be considered as a flop for something like Aquaman.

Again, if TIH had made 275 m overseas there probably would've been a TIH2.

That would push it's WW total even higher than Cap 1.

Marvel can afford a shortage domestically because their overseas fanbase has doubled since the Paramount days.

One shooting had international headlines and was news for weeks. This one stopped trending on Twitter after a couple of hours.

It still had an effect.

The 3 reviews of Pixels in the RTM forum all start the same way

Was better then I was expecting. 

It's a good time surprisingly.

Much better than I thought it would be given the reviews. 

I can't chance it.

I rarely enjoy movies with RT scores under 20%.

This isn't even a "bad" weekend anyways if we take out Pixels floppage. Holdovers are having pretty standard holds, and Southpaw and PT both had expected openings. Neither were ever going to post big numbers. Aside from Pixels doing better, not much more should've been expected from this weekend.

Pretty dark indeed when a character nobody knows, starring an actor whose movies never make any money, makes more money than a highly recognizable comic book character starring a very recognizable actor.

• Like 2

This isn't even a "bad" weekend anyways if we take out Pixels floppage. Holdovers are having pretty standard holds, and Southpaw and PT both had expected openings. Neither were ever going to post big numbers. Aside from Pixels doing better, not much more should've been expected from this weekend.

True, but not a single movie over 10M on Friday on a July weekend is pretty bad. Hell, there is an (admittedly extremely outside) chance that no movie hits 10M today either.

EDIT: Just went through BOM records, and the last July weekend when no movie hit 10M over any of the days of the weekend was in 2009 when Funny People released. An Adam Sandler release may repeat history.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Pretty dark indeed when a character nobody knows, starring an actor whose movies never make any money, makes more money than a highly recognizable comic book character starring a very recognizable actor.

Not a great comparison. You can compare AM to Aquaman. The fact that 175m is not on a table is a bit disappointing considering how good the film is. But as stated before no reason why AM2 wouldn't do Thor 2 numbers providing that sequel ever sees the light of day.

MI5.

AntMan still has merchandise.

Also you gotta consider MI5 could make over 600 m overseas and Ant-Man might do only 425 m.

Ultimately it comes down to budget and I'm pretty sure Paramount is spending an assload for production and marketing.

It's hard to feel much disappointment, even though I think Ant Man is the 2nd or 3rd best Marvel movie, when you know a second will become universe-servicing like the rest of the bullshit Marvel puts out. 

At least it exists. Hopefully it holds up, and if it does, I'm glad just that we've got one.

I mean, I don't like any of the Iron Mans anymore so, you know, things change.

I find it hilarious you like Ant-Man for not being universe-serving. My biggest issue with the film was how shoehorned the film was in universe-building compared to others. Like I honestly don't understand your thought process on this haha