CJohn

Official Weekend Estimates: Straigth Outta Compton - 56.1M; The Man From UNCLE - 13.5M; MI5 - 17.3M; Fantastic Four - 8M

Universal has 10 movies however (not including SOC which has just started).

Also remember Star Wars full gross won't be counted, just the calendar gross, the rest will be for next year.

Worst Case: 575m / 1.97b Disney Loses no matter what

Best Case: 1.12b / 2.60b Disney Lose unless Universal movies do under my expectations or Disney does even better than best case

Yeah, calendar year Uni is winning. If we counted 2015 movies' 2016 grosses it would be close.

Edited by WrathOfHan

That is true. However, even these big properties also have crazy budgets, a failure in the box office could be disastrous.

There is also a limit (to avoid overkill I guess) to the number of films they can release per genre. Three at most for computer animated films, 2 for Marvel films and 2 for big live action films. That is just what, 7 films. What Disney needs to make more are comedies and horror films. But given the fact that they are "family" centered, I doubt they'll make films like those. They also rarely make Oscar baits which other studios do.

They start to release 3 Marvels per year soon. One year got postponed bcs of the upcoming Spider movie

They also added spin-offs to Star Wars = each year one Star Wars, starting this year

Keith forgot that 8 Mile is a biopic  :kitschjob:

"Compton would also be the best opening for a musical bio-pic, leaping over the current leaders, 2005's Johnny Cash flick, Walk the Line ($22.3M, $28.3M adjusted) and 2009's Notorious B.I.G. pic, Notorious ($20.5M, $22.3M adjusted)."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4095&p=.htm

I need this to outgross Walk The Line for my club.

Disney also has these huge properties: Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars and movies based on their huge library. They in fact have always had the edge over the other studios especially Paramount and Sony. If they want to release more movies, that is perfectly fine. There will always be a risk though.

Also, Universal has never won a year for the past 15 years. It's not just about the number of films.

Keith forgot that 8 Mile is a biopic  :kitschjob:

"Compton would also be the best opening for a musical bio-pic, leaping over the current leaders, 2005's Johnny Cash flick, Walk the Line ($22.3M, $28.3M adjusted) and 2009's Notorious B.I.G. pic, Notorious ($20.5M, $22.3M adjusted)."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4095&p=.htm

Dammit, Keith...

8 mile isn't even listed in their music biopic genre list.

Before JW I thought that too, then it exploded.

PITCH PERFECT II also did well. FURIOUS 7 exceeded even the most positive expectations. And now STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON is slaying.

On the other hand, the combined gross of 730 M I predicted for THE AVENGERS: AOU and ANT-MAN will just be 630 M in reality. TOMORROWLAND didn't do well either. Fortunately, INSIDE OUT has had a great run.

• Like 1

That is true. However, even these big properties also have crazy budgets, a failure in the box office could be disastrous.

There is also a limit (to avoid overkill I guess) to the number of films they can release per genre. Three at most for computer animated films, 2 for Marvel films and 2 for big live action films. That is just what, 7 films. What Disney needs to make more are comedies and horror films. But given the fact that they are "family" centered, I doubt they'll make films like those. They also rarely make Oscar baits which other studios do.

Does Disney not own Dimension Studios anymore? They used to release horror films.

Edited, just googled and saw TWC ownership. Disney needs a company like this to release varied films.

Edited by Eddy BRUSIER Hayes

Dimension was a division of Miramax, which was a most autonomous operation under Disney ownership. But yes.

Disney was extremely diversified under Eisner - say what you will about him, but under him the movie divisions were run like a "true" movie studio. It was under Iger that they started cutting back their production slate and focusing on fewer movies.

• Like 1

Does Disney not own Dimension Studios anymore? They used to release horror films.

Edited, just googled and saw TWC ownership. Disney needs a company like this to release varied films.

It's now under The Weinstein Company.

Dimension was a division of Miramax, which was a most autonomous operation under Disney ownership. But yes.

Disney was extremely diversified under Eisner - say what you will about him, but under him the movie divisions were run like a "true" movie studio. It was under Iger that they started cutting back their production slate and focusing on fewer movies.

Yeah, Disney themselves don't really make many movies at all anymore (especially live-action). They just distribute. Edited by Telemachos

What, what sort of logic is this? A biopic is very specifically about a real-life person. Just having a bunch of similar elements doesn't count. :lol:

Eminem grew up on 8 mile as a poor white underground rapper.

8 Mile was definitely as close to a biopic as you can get without officially being a biopic.

In fact, if they did the movie with another actor, I'm pretty sure Eminem would've sued.  :P