Goosebumps (2015)  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it.

Goosebumps: Going into this movie, I knew very little about the books, barely saw the tv series, and wasn't impressed with the trailer so I was going into this movie with low expectations.

To my surprise, this movie is a lot of fun. This movie executes the scares and laughs perfectly for this type of film. What really makes this movie is Jack Black and the Monsters. Jack Black works well off the kids but as well Jack Black has to be a little more serious at times and its quite delightful to see him use his acting chops. The monsters were used effectively in nice set pieces that work for each monster given. This movie also has a nice touch of drama with a certain sub plot that took me by surprise.

The only real problem I have with the film is that it gets off to a slow start, but the film uses that slow start to set up the relationship between the teen characters so its more believable and that is something a family film like this usually doesn't do, so props to this movie.

Overall, Goosebumps is a good family film that definitely has rerun potential (specially around Halloween) for years to come.

Grade: B+

Saw this with my boy and was thoroughly entertained. He's talked about the books but I really knew nothing about them so I didn't know what to expect. The story was okay as were the effects. What made the movie for me were Jack Black and Ryan Lee. Black was very good switching from serious to humor when it was called for. Lee was simply hysterical and had me in stitches. He was the perfect sidekick. Dylan Minnette was a little shaky in the beginning but really improved as the film went along. Slappy was an excellent villian. I'd see this again in the theaters and we'll definitely be buying the DVD.

A

Edited by xanamanax

A lot of fun.

This was one redraft away from being great though. Hannah needed to be more fleshed out for the twist to really work and I wish they had the balls to really commit to it. Also the Champ stuff with the girls was embarrassing.

Otherwise it's a blast. Black's a hoot and I normally don't care for him at all. Minette's got enough talent to save what could have been a really bland lead. Elfman's clearly having a blast. Slappy steals the show and all the kids at my showing ate him up.