WrathOfHan

Weekend Estimates (pg44): Spectre 73 | Peanuts 45 | Martian 9.3 | Goosebumps 6.9 | Spies 6.09 | Important forum announcement in first post.

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Again, missed out on Peanuts tonight. But I did see Sicario. Extremely slow, but otherwise, if you asked me to find a problem with that movie (ie plot hole, bad performance, unnecessary scenes etc) it would be really hard for me to do. Granted, there were a few things that could have been improved, but nothing wrong either.

Interesting you thought Sicario so slow. I wouldn't describe it that way but I did think there was a weird lack of force with Blunt's character. She was constantly stomping around looking exasperated, not able to figure out who was pulling what string. I don't think the movie can be described as slow -- there was a good amount of action with the right amount of building tension in-between. But her character arc did have a certain stuntedness that frustrated me.

IMO that was very much one of the key themes. She was a decent person trying to do the right thing in a world where all decency and moral certainty had been obliterated.

I thought Brolin was hilarious, btw. He was one of the high points of the movie (along with Del Toro, of course).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Telemachos said:

IMO that was very much one of the key themes. She was a decent person trying to do the right thing in a world where all decency and moral certainty had been obliterated.

Agreed. I'm not saying there was no depth there or that the portrayal wasn't great. I was certainly with her in terms of empathy.

But think back through the movie: when did she have decisive agency over the situation rather than just having things thrust upon her? Her scripting was reactive start to finish. And at the movie's conclusion del Toro comes out looking like the lead.

But think back through the movie: when did she have decisive agency over the situation rather than just having things thrust upon her?

She didn't. That was the point. And I appreciated they didn't try to give her some big third-act redemption or new capacity for action or control. It would've felt pretty artificial, albeit probably crowd-pleasing (IMO).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

She didn't. That was the point. And I appreciated they didn't try to give her some big third-act redemption or new capacity for action or control. It would've felt pretty artificial, albeit probably crowd-pleasing (IMO).

Oh yes, if she'd suddenly kicked-ass and taken names in the last act it would have been senseless and out of keeping. I thought the conclusion was excellent. (You've seen a thousand and one movies and think violence can't startle you anymore until, watching the right movie, it does.) I guess I just would've liked, at some point in Sicario, to feel like she was the master of her own fate and I never got that. But perhaps I am too hooked on the crowd-pleasing formula. Interesting to think how the conclusion would've been written with a male lead.

Spectre was certainly a flawed movie, but weakest of the Craig bonds? To each their own, but I ain't quite buying all the people here arguing that. At least the direction and staging and cinematography was still mostly top-notch, and the story/theme/characters tried with varying success to have some sense of emotional heft, stakes, resonance, and fun. It has some real strong moments, I'd say. Do people forget how fucking incomprehensibly awful Quantum was? A lifeless, pointless, bland, incoherent piece of garbage. As a die hard CR fan, I was so excited for that movie. And Jesus Christ, was it bad. If it wasn't for TF2, I'd honestly say that it was the worst MAJOR (as in hugely hyped fanboy entry) blockbuster of the past ten years. Just a completely terrible film.

I mean, everyone has their opinions, and I respect that. But I just strongly disagree. Man, SPECTRE was like the godfather next to QOS for me. And next to the Brosnan's last three, too. I think CR/Skyfall (even if it's suddenly hated on here) spoiled people. There's been some really, really, REALLY bad Bond movies in the past 20 years. SPECTRE ain't on that level. And just on technical merits alone, it really exceeded those pieces of crap for me (and I just generally enjoyed it alot better). 

Edited by Cmasterclay
Spelling
  • Like 10

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Spectre was certainly a flawed movie, but weakest of the Craig bonds? To each their own, but I ain't quite buying all the people here arguing that. At least the direction and staging and cinematography was still mostly top-notch, and the story/theme/characters tried with varying success to have some sense of emotional heft, stakes, resonance, and fun. It has some real strong moments, I'd say. Do people forget how fucking incomprehensibly awful Quantum was? A lifeless, pointless, bland, incoherent piece of garbage. As a die hard CR fan, I was so excited for that movie. And Jesus Christ, was it bad. If it wasn't for TF2, I'd honestly say that it was the worst MAJOR (as in hugely hyped fanboy entry) blockbuster of the past ten years. Just a completely terrible film.

I mean, everyone has their opinions, and I respect that. But I just strongly disagree. Man, SPECTRE was like the godfather next to QOS for me. And next to the Brosnan's last three, too. I think CR/Skyfall (even if it's suddenly hated on here) spoiled people. There's been some really, really, REALLY bad Bond movies in the past 20 years. SPECTRE ain't on that level. And just on technical merits alone, it really exceeded those pieces of crap for me (and I just generally enjoyed it alot better). 

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Heck, Taken 2 was like the godfather of spy movies next to QOS.

Honestly, at least Taken 2 was deliriously entertaining in a terrible way. QOS was just bland. Quantum could have really benefited from some grenade assisted cartography, IMO.

Now, Taken 3, pretty much a perfect companion piece to Quantum. 

• Like 1

Spectre

16.8 (-38%)

72.0 OW

Peanuts

12.6 (-35)

44.1 OW

The Martian

2.5 (-40%)

9.3 Wknd  ( -21% from last wknd.....holy shit! )

Bride of Spies

1.3 (-50%)

5.8 Wknd  ( -30%...another great hold....should end with a 5x multiplier in the end)

• Like 2