Neo

Snowpiercer | Now in Theaters and VOD

I don't like to say "I told you so," but:http://twitchfilm.com/2013/08/weinstein-thinks-you-are-too-dumb-for-snowpiercer.htmlThis info seems pretty solid--the source is critic/festival programmer Tony Rayns, who has done as much as anyone to introduce Korean cinema to the west and apparently got the news from Bong himself. So unless the Weinsteins change their mind, be prepared to import an uncut Blu-ray/DVD from somewhere like Korea or France. Luckily, most of the film's already in English, so the language barrier shouldn't be a big issue.

Yup, just like what you suspected and told me a few months ago. Boooooo.What the hell is so big a problem that they cut out 20 min of the movie? Seriously, 20 minutes :angry:I really wanna watch it in theater when it's finally released, but I wonder now if it's worth it, maybe I should just wait to see the full, uncut version somewhere else.

I read the article, apparently the reason they wanna cut so much is because they think some parts of American audience are too dumb to understand a sci-fi thriller like this one. I have no words.20 min of material being cut involved mostly character details that would introduce and effectively outline the world the movie built. Basically, it will be turn into a simple action movie.It's a really laughable matter, such bullshit reasons. Ugh!

I'm trying to work out what they can cut. Pretty much all the Korean language scenes a) add up to about 9 minutes at most I think and B) are integral to the plot. The film literally would make no sense if the Koreans are cut out.

Regardless of whether the film is complicated / intelligent / boring / drags or whatver somebody may feel about it, there is nothing that can be cut. Honestly, nothing.

This news makes me want to punch someone in the face. 20 mins? really? WHen i first saw it, i thought maybe the film was like 2.5 hrs long or something but its only 126 mins. Thats the runtime for pretty much every action movie/thriller out there these days. Ugh

The news that it’s going to cut severely because Weinstein thinks Americans are idiots, is surely going to create bad buzz.

Don’t be surprised if it does poorly in the U.S., you deserve it Harvey.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

This is dumb as fuck. Truly stupid.I remember seeing the Kingdom of Heaven in a theater and was really disappointed by it. I saw the director's cut by chance a few years later and was shocked how great it was, miles above the studio cut. So Harvey Two... Dickface can go fuck himself.My Korean friends said it was solid, so I was looking forward to it since I love the Host.

Ugh... Very disheartening news indeed. In hindsight, maybe South Korean should have just funded the whole damn thing.

South Koreans did fund the whole thing. But you can't expect a South Korean studio to self-distribute a movie like this in major markets like the U.S. and the UK. So the distribution rights have to be sold off and that's how stuff like this happens. The Weinsteins' habit of recutting is well known by now, but in all likelihood the studio was only interested in the best offer.

Opens to 21M in South Korea. 9-19M away from making its budget.http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/korea/?yr=2013&wk=31&p=.htm

Actually, I think the movie already made back its budget by selling the rights to 160+ countries couple with that OW.But if we're talking strictly BO numbers, then by Friday, the total is at around $36m-$37m

Actually, I think the movie already made back its budget by selling the rights to 160+ countries couple with that OW.But if we're talking strictly BO numbers, then by Friday, the total is at around $36m-$37m

Of course strictly box office, from what I posted.

Of course strictly box office, from what I posted.

Then if we went with the high end 40M, Snowpiercer will make back its budget by this weekend just in SK alone. Pretty great. I was so excited to see it when it'll eventually be released in US, but after that bullshit news.... *sigh*

I read the article, apparently the reason they wanna cut so much is because they think some parts of American audience are too dumb to understand a sci-fi thriller like this one. I have no words.20 min of material being cut involved mostly character details that would introduce and effectively outline the world the movie built. Basically, it will be turn into a simple action movie.It's a really laughable matter, such bullshit reasons. Ugh!

They're probably just trimming out all dem Asian people...cause I mean, you can't have too much Asian folks unless they're doing martial arts.Seriously though, these decisions puzzle me. This isn't exactly the type of movie that's going to draw mainstream audiences hand over fist no matter what the film is like. But it could draw more cinema fan type audiences...but not when you do this.I will wait for the inevitable extended Bluray release.
  • Like 1