Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

8 hours ago, James said:

I see the Romania box office part of BOM is back up and running but their numbers from earlier this year are awfully off (they reported MJ2 gross to be over $2m a few werks back and now they are reporting $1m, both being wrong - same with all the other movies) and even the numbers from this week are too big. It is likely they take the number of adm and multiply it by the average ticket price which is stupid, considering there are 1000 different types of discounts. I don't know where they get their numbers from but they are far from exact. 

I saw that too and they put a total of $11m for FF7, when it made $2.7m, lots of mistakes.

2016 will be a interesting year with a few surprises as usual, i think Gods of Egypt will be a failure from all points of view and that KFP3 will do well, (ROTS was no.1 in '05).Good preview btw

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wonka said:

I saw that too and they put a total of $11m for FF7, when it made $2.7m, lots of mistakes.

2016 will be a interesting year with a few surprises as usual, i think Gods of Egypt will be a failure from all points of view and that KFP3 will do well, (ROTS was no.1 in '05).Good preview btw

I know about ROTS. That presentation of Inferno was copy/paste from the one I did last year, when it was poised to open against SW7, hence the ROTS comparison.:lol:

I think Gods of Egypt will do fantastic. Just look at Dracula Untold, Legend of Hercules (which flopped everywhere else but was massive here), Hercules, The Last Which Hunter, Pompeii, 47 Ronin, Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, Robin Hood, 300. Immortals was the third highest grossing movie of 2011. Noah did 1.4m last year and Exodus did over 0.5m without any help from Cinema City which is just incredible. I'm having a really hard time to find a fantasy medieval epic movie which flopped here. Maybe Snow White and the Huntsman or Jack the Giant Slayer. But those wore fairy tales recycles and those are hit and miss.  

Yes but all these movies you mentioned was released in and after march (exception Pompeii -feb.) and the only movies which made $1M had a pretty good publicity here even a few months before release.In this case Deadpool is release in february ... but it depends on how many scr. it will be release and how many weeks will it stay in the theaters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wonka said:

Yes but all these movies you mentioned was released in and after march (exception Pompeii -feb.) and the only movies which made $1M had a pretty good publicity here even a few months before release.In this case Deadpool is release in february ... but it depends on how many scr. it will be release and how many weeks will it stay in the theaters.

I think Deadpool will flop. SH movies are not that huge here. Ant-Man, with the Marvel brand and all still underperormed. As for a fantasy epic that was released here at the beginning of the year: Seventh Son this year. 

• Like 1

I hope Deadpool will have a good run, i know that it will not be outstanding or anything but the fact that it's not released in the summer i think it will make a contribution.It's not 3D so less money... i aspect around 100k admissions, that would be less or more $500k 

Edited by Wonka
  • Like 1

Big day today for SW. It has a lot of pretty full shows and also some sellouts. As always, the lead cities are Bucharest, Iasi and Timisoara. It might actually get close to 100.000 adm even with the very few shows it had on Friday.

But the big news is Point Break. It has previews this weekend (one or two shows per city) and from what I see, it's selling out like crazy EVERYWHERE, even in the cities that are usually really slow with presales. We wont have any data for it till next weekend, but I expect a huge debut, north of 50.000 adm. It's the perfect movie for the Romanian audiences and it's release date is also good. Last year, The Hobbit had to battle with two huge competitors in a row (Seventh Son and Taken 3), both with debuts north of 60.000 adm. Look for Point Break to give SW a run for it's money. SW rule at the top might only last 2 weeks. 

• Like 2

WEEKEND BOX-OFFICE

We just had the biggest weekend of the year in USD the and 3rd biggest in admissions. Still, the box office was down from the same week last year, which registered a record in attendance.

- Star Wars: The Force Awakens kept the first place, sliding 47% and reaching $1.92m and 361.991 adm (already the 8th highest grossing movie ever; it will likely close it's run at No. 3, behind Avatar and The Hobbit 3). That is a much bigger drop than the last year's champ, The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies had (-22%). That is partly explained by the fact that this week, the Christmas was on Friday and theaters were closed. Still, even when we talk weekly admissions, Star Wars fell behind The Hobbit, despite opening way higher (186.407 vs. 189.194 for the week). The current record holder for biggest week in admissions is Fast and Furious 7 with 210.625, while the best second weekend belongs to The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: 114.338. 

There's no rest for Star Wars this coming weekend either: New Year's Day is on Friday and most theaters will be closed again, while on Thursday there are no shows after 3-4 PM. You can also add the fact that 5 new movies are entering the market, with Point Break poised to have a huge debut. 

Even so, considering The Force Awakens has the biggest 10 days total in USD (just a tiny bit ahead of the last Hobbit movie), I still see it beating Fast and Furious 7 as the highest grossing movie of the year, even if it will lose to it in admissions. 

- In second, All Gone South had a modest debut: 13.710 adm and $65k.

- In the Heart of the Sea increased a big 45% in it's 4th weekend, reaching a good enough $443k.

- Love the Coopers continues it's great run, by jumping 25% for a total of $572k.

- The Night Before is the only other movie in Top 10, aside from Star Wars, that registers a drop (-25%).It's total is not that good either: $268k. 

- In 6th, The Peanuts Movie debuts with a pathetic 8.767 adm and $41k. Not even unknown animations do this horrible. 

- The Good Dinosaur continues to have an acceptable run for a Pixar flick, reaching $415k.

- And numbers 8 to 10 also had good holds, the only notable one though being Bridge of Spies (I think there's something wrong with it's weekly adm number).

- Outside Top 10, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 had a good hold and it will crawl past the $1m border next week, while Spectre reached the $1.5m mark. If it continues to have good drops, it will beat Skyfall in USD. It already bested it in admissions and will end up as the 14th or 15th highest grossing title ever.

Next week's openers:

- Point Break

- Creed

- Sisters

- Snow Queen 2

- Mustang

The shows Point Break had for this weekend (previews) sold out like crazy. Expect a debut north of 50.000 adm for it. 

Creed might sell over 15.000 adm.

Sisters will probably end up about the same as Creed.

Snow Queen 2 will likely open below first movie's 27.842 adm.

And Mustang... I don't even know. Under 10.000 for sure. 

***Considering we only receive information on a weekly basis, with this weekend the 2015 box office year is officially over. I'll be back with a complete analysis tomorrow.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

Have you watched the movie of century, baby James? 

If you mean MJ2, then yes, I have. It was very good. I liked it. And it will make over $1m here so you should be happy (10th highest grossing movie of the year, highest grossing movie of the franchise, most attended and it beat Insurgent and every Potter:P - well, until Fantastic Beasts, but that technically won't be a Potter movie).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

If you mean MJ2, then yes, I have. It was very good. I liked it. And it will make over $1m here so you should be happy (10th highest grossing movie of the year, highest grossing movie of the franchise, most attended and it beat Insurgent and every Potter:P - well, until Fantastic Beasts, but that technically won't be a Potter movie).

WOT THAT! 

I dont know if I'm more surprised because you liked it or because it was SO huge there, I thought that HP was massive there just like in the whole Europe ?

whats your THG rank? 

Happy New Year btw, wish you all the best ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

WOT THAT! 

I dont know if I'm more surprised because you liked it or because it was SO huge there, I thought that HP was massive there just like in the whole Europe ?

whats your THG rank? 

Happy New Year btw, wish you all the best ?

HP was big. The last one fell short of $1m by a few thousand of $. But the market expanded a lot since HP days. It is 20x times bigger than when the first HP came out and 2.5x bigger than when DH2 came out. FB will easily make over $1m next year.

Why are you surprised I liked a HG movie? I enjoyed all of them to some degree, even though I found the books to be better.

Ranking:

1. MJ2

2. MJ1

3. THG

4. CF

Hapy New Year to you too :hug:

Edited by James
  • Like 1

ROMANIA'S BOX-OFFICE IN 2015 - YEARLY MARKET OVERVIEW

Another box office year is done and with it come promising results. 2015 has been a good year for the Romanian cinema business overall. The yearly growth in admissions continued (for the first time, the number of tickets sold broke the 11m border, after 2014 was the first year the 10m border has been breached), same with the results in Euros and local currency (RON). However, due to bad exchange rates, the market dipped a small 6% when it comes to yearly revenue in USD. 

Here's a comparison with 2013 and 2014:

EYP4HLC.jpg

2015 had a lot of premiers. It was the first year we had more than one $2m grosser. Fast and Furious 7, Minions and Star Wars: The Force Awakens - all made or will make over $2m. 

When it comes to admissions, the biggest seller was Fast and Furious 7. In terms of USD though, it is very likely that Star Wars will steal the crown.  

2015 was a good year for animation: Minions became the first animated title to sell over 400.000 am, even if it fell under the third Ice Age title in USD. Hotel Transylvania 2 broke all expectations and ended up over $1m and Inside Out was the first non-princess Pixar (or Disney) animation that managed to make good money.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Action titles all had a great deal of success, like always.

Also, even if it becomes more frontloaded as the time passes by, the Romanian market is still quite a leggy one. From the highest grossing 20 movies of 2015, only 4 had less than a 3x multiplier from their opening weekend in admissions (I am not counting Star Wars, since I am sure that will end up with over a 3x multi as well). The leggiest movies in Top 20 were Inside Out (5.7x), Jurassic World (4.6x) and Everest (4.4x).

Top 20 at the end of 2015

k2QPmWR.jpg

*Boded titles are still playing

Also, here is a list of THE HIGHEST GROSSING MOVIES EVER IN ROMANIA:

Bn7EWtz.jpg

No less than 5 titles have made the top this year. 

That being said, as more and more theaters are built, I have high hopes for 2016. The yearly growth in admissions should continue, so 2016 should cross the 12m border. Also, I think it will also set a new record in terms of yearly USD revenue (maybe close or over $60m).

• Like 6

On December 31, 2015 at 9:00 AM, James said:

HP was big. The last one fell short of $1m by a few thousand of $. But the market expanded a lot since HP days. It is 20x times bigger than when the first HP came out and 2.5x bigger than when DH2 came out. FB will easily make over $1m next year.

Why are you surprised I liked a HG movie? I enjoyed all of them to some degree, even though I found the books to be better.

Ranking:

1. MJ2

2. MJ1

3. THG

4. CF

Hapy New Year to you too :hug:

For some reason, I remember you saying that hated MJ1, am I crazy or you're bipolar? :lol: 

how can CF be your least fave movie? You're a man of weird tastes, lol 

I wish I could be so hyped as you for FB, I'm a huge HP fan, since 2002, but I have no interest on this movie, especially after that weak teaser, I know that still early, but the premise seems so....... I think I'm just traumatized because of the Hobbit movies, lol. In Rowling we trust 

10 minutes ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

For some reason, I remember you saying that hated MJ1, am I crazy or you're bipolar? :lol: 

how can CF be your least fave movie? You're a man of weird tastes, lol 

I wish I could be so hyped as you for FB, I'm a huge HP fan, since 2002, but I have no interest on this movie, especially after that weak teaser, I know that still early, but the premise seems so....... I think I'm just traumatized because of the Hobbit movies, lol. In Rowling we trust 

Hmm... I might be bipolar, but I think I always said I liked MJ1. Yeah, in Rowling we trust.

• Like 1

2016 is up to a tremendous start, with the most attended week in history, thanks to good numbers from the holdovers and Point Break's amazing debut (#1, with over 67.000 adm). In USD, the the first weekend of 2015 is also way up from last year. Numbers still coming in, so it will grown even more. 

• Like 2

WEEKEND BOX-OFFICE

As usual, I'm late with this, but here goes: the first week of 2016 was an incredible one - the most attended ever!! 379.696 people entered cinemas bringing in more than 1.71m euros. The previous record was held by the week ending 38 Dec 2014, with 358.855 adm and 1.56m euros.  In USD, it was also huge (the 4th biggest week ever). These numbers can be attributed to Point Break's great debut and Star Wars' good hold. 

- Point Break opened on top this weekend, defeating Star Wars, with 67.399 adm and $362k. That figure is bigger than Seventh Son's (60.711 adm and $353k), which opened on the same date last year. Seventh Son ended up with $820k, being one of the most frontloaded movies of 2015. With much better WOM, Point Break has a good shot at becoming the first 2016 title to gross over $1m.

- Star Wars: The Force Awakens had to settle for second, but continued to perform well, dropping 43% and reaching $2.6m and 485.225 adm. It is the fastest movie ever to break the $2.5m border and if it can keep up the pace now that the holidays are over, it'll beat The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies to become the 2nd highest grossing movie after Avatar. Also, it has a good chance of being only the second flick to make over $3m.

- In third, Sisters opened with 24.527 adm and $116k. That is better than I expected for it. We'll see how it behaves this weekend, when Daddy's Home enters he market.

- Snow Queen 2 did good business as well, bringing 22.769 people to theaters (and $107k). The first Snow Queen movie opened a bit higher (27.842 adm) and it is still playing, grossing $341k so far. So the sequel will probably end up around $300k.

- Creed was the only opener that disappointed this weekend, with only 10.098 adm and $51k.

- The rest of the movies also fared well, with Love the Coopers breaking the $600k border and In the Heart of the Sea and Bridge of Spies the 500k one. Also, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2 finally passed the $1m threshold, while Spectre beat Alice in Wonderland on the All Time chart (currently #17, with a chance of passing Skyfall for #16).

Top 10

uSJ5Q45.jpg

This week's openers:

- Daddy's Home

- Joy

- The Danish Girl

- The Forest

- Ooops! Noah is gone...

- Queen and Country

So a pretty crowded weekend. Daddy's Home has decent presales so an opening around 30.000 adm should be expected.

Joy and The Danish Girl should both end up over 10.000 (maybe even 15.000), while the rest won't break that mark.

Here is an update for 2015's Top 20:

JvGyrBp.jpg

• Like 3