Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

Zootopia 38.585 adm ($185k) from 114 scr.That's low number considering that it was the second widest release behind Star Wars, in my town it only had one show of the english version and 5-6 dubbed version.I don't like dubbed versions of animation and i'm not the only one.

Zootopia (3rd weekend), London Has Fallen and Kung Fu Panda 3 are battling for 1st place. Zootopia actually managed to increase 21% (46.524 adm) over it's opening weekend last week which is insane. It has a great chance to repeat on top for a third time. Also, London Has Fallen seems to have better presales than KFP3, but that's not surprising considering the second is an animation.

BvS tickets also went on sale. Nothing impressive so far. But the release schedule has been very full lately so we'll have to wait for Monday to see how the presales behave. Plus, it's a superhero movie. Yeah, earlier this year Deadpool managed an 118.289 adm debut, but that was an absolute anomaly. The previous record was AoU's 70.118 adm and before that no CBM even managed to reach 60.000 adm on OW. The current DC record is held by TDKR, with 56.682 adm. I'm pretty sure BvS will be able to top that. I'd say 65.000 adm at least. I think it can top AoU's debut.

20 hours ago, James said:

Zootopia (3rd weekend), London Has Fallen and Kung Fu Panda 3 are battling for 1st place. Zootopia actually managed to increase 21% (46.524 adm) over it's opening weekend last week which is insane. It has a great chance to repeat on top for a third time. Also, London Has Fallen seems to have better presales than KFP3, but that's not surprising considering the second is an animation.

BvS tickets also went on sale. Nothing impressive so far. But the release schedule has been very full lately so we'll have to wait for Monday to see how the presales behave. Plus, it's a superhero movie. Yeah, earlier this year Deadpool managed an 118.289 adm debut, but that was an absolute anomaly. The previous record was AoU's 70.118 adm and before that no CBM even managed to reach 60.000 adm on OW. The current DC record is held by TDKR, with 56.682 adm. I'm pretty sure BvS will be able to top that. I'd say 65.000 adm at least. I think it can top AoU's debut.

Just how relevant are presales in Romania's movie business?

4 hours ago, The Gotham Bank said:

Just how relevant are presales in Romania's movie business?

Pretty relevant I'd say. Especially when it comes to huge blockbusters, people here tend to reserve a seat rather than getting whatever's left. I personally never went to cinema without having a reserved seat. And the vast majority of my friends are the same. For example, when The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies opened and set the OW record at the time, I kept track of the presales (because there is no central database) and at least 60.000 adm of the 148.000 TH opened to were presales. 

Of course, that doesn't mean I can't be wrong about certain movies. When it comes to KFP3 and London Has Fallen for example I just had a quick glance at the presales through the main theater chain. But my prediction for Deadpool for example was pretty spot on based on the presales. Same for Fifty Shades or Minions.

BvS is so-so right now. I can't bet one way or the other. The sure thing is it won't come close to 100.000 adm, even though I really really wish I am wrong.  

Edited by James
  • Like 2

WEEKEND BOX-OFFICE

We had another great weekend, with two big openers.

- Just as presales indicated, London Has Fallen took the lead this weekend, with a big 57.879 admissions and $282k. That is way ahead of it's predecessor's 33.678 adm debut. Depending on how it will fare against Batman v Superman this week, it might end up around $800k.

- In second, Kung Fu Panda 3 opened to 43.159 adm and $212k. That is down from KFP2's 53.164 adm opening, but KFP2 had horrible legs so I fully expect KFP3 to outgross it in the end. Either way, if it has standard animation legs, it should end up around $800k.

- Zootopia had to settle for thrid, but it continued it's mind-blowing run. Easing just 26% against KFP3, it reached $720k. It is now locked to make at least $1m.

- The Divergent Series: Allegiant dropped 53% from it's OW and reached $332k. That is way behind Insurgent through the same point, but to be fair, Insurgent had less competition and 3D. All in all, it is a decent performance by Allegiant, which should end it's run with around $550-600k.

- Gods of Egypt had another godly hold (-38%) and passed the $1m border, becoming the third movie this year to do so. When I made my 2016 forecast I put it at $1.1m and that is exactly where it will end up.

- In sixth, Dirty Grandpa continues to be one of the most surprising runs ever. It eased a light 31% and now stands at a mighty $1.32m (and 285.923 adm). I doubt it has enough fuel in the tank to reach the All Time Top 20, but it should come very close.     

- Deadpool was down 39% from last week and it's total rose to $1.58m. It is now the 15th highest grossing title ever here and the highest grossing CBM ever.

- In other news, Star Wars: The Force Awakens is still playing and now stands at $3.25m (second highest grossing of all time behind Avatar's $6.35m) and 600.644 admissions.

Top 10 this week

gLo3p7G.jpg

Next week's openers:

- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

- Der 7bte Zwerg

- Le Dernier Loup

- Operasjon Arktis

Presales have picked up a bit for Batman v Superman but I still don't quite know what to make of it. Man of Steel debuted to 44.146 adm back in 2013, while The Dark Knight Rises sold 56.682 tickets on OW. I will be a bit bullish and say BvS opens to 75.000 adm, which would make it the 2nd highest opening for a superhero movie, behind Deadpool.

Top 10 for 2016:

iyZC9SH.jpg

***The bolded titles are still playing

• Like 4

I'm seriously starting to think 100.000 adm might not be that impossible after all. BvS is receiving tons of showtimes (even over 20/day on some theaters) and sellouts are everywhere. Plus, the weather is horrible so that will only help business. And if it misses 100.000 adm it won't be by much. 

12 hours ago, thunder storm said:

128.687 adm. for BvS, and $0.7M.....pretty good, if you ask me

That's not pretty good. It is an INCRE-FUCKIN-DIBLE number. It doubled the previous DC best opener. To figure out just how huge this is, this is how the highest OW for a SH movie looks like:

BvS - 128k adm

Deadpool - 118k adm

AoU - 70k adm

Every olther CBM opened under 60k adm. 

1 hour ago, Aristis said:

That's nearly three times the MOS opening weekend. The OW records change fast in Romania these days :o

The market is expanding. We still haven't had a 200.000+ adm OW (FF7 is the closest with 196.210), but it will happen soon enough. My guess is either Rogue One (although it really needs to overperform) or POTC5 next year.

6 hours ago, Wonka said:

I think we will have a 200k adm OW this year, the industry is growing fast

I sure hope so. The year-to-year increase in admissions up to this point is about 20%, which is fantastic. The difference will shrink in the next month (April 2015 had Fast 7, April 2016 is pretty empty until the Jungle Book arrives - this coming weekend especially is as empty as it gets). But the Summer starting with May should be way way up from 2015. We have a blockbuster every week for the May-June period. July is also looking busy as fuck. August is ok (Independence Day and Ice Age will battle for the Summer crown methinks and Ice Age will likely win). September is again very very empty. October has Inferno which I think will challenge $1m. November looks strong, same with December, even though 2015 had stronger contenders. But we'll see. It might be a bit optimistic, but if the Summer increases enough, we might get to 13 million admissions in 2016, up from 11 million last year. That would buck the trend of 1m increase/per year we had for the last 3-4 years.    

• Like 1

Yep this summer is very packed with lots of sequels perfect for the romanian public. Zootopia will be the 5th movie to hit $1mil.  ,also the exchange rate is favorable for the moment. Hard drop for KFP3 looks like probably will have the same legs like KFP2.

Solid OW up ahead for The Jungle Book.

For comparison, the other Disney live-action adaptations in admissions (OW/total):

Cinderella - 35.588 / 131.929

Maleficent - 57.629 / 180.637

Oz: TGAP - 36.869 / 142.304

Alice in Wonderland - 41.919 / 222.314

Hoping TJB can open over 50.000 adm. We will see. For now, the presales aren't as strong as I hoped, but it is a family movie.

The Boss also looks ok-ish. Maybe around 20.000.

Criminal around 10.000.

I really hope we have a strong weekend considering this past one was by far the worst of 2016. April is so damn empty. Thank god for the strong looking Summer. Starting with May, we should have huge weekends again.

• Like 1