Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

WEEKEND BOX-OFFICE

Another incredible week for the Romanian BO (5th most attended ever). The year-to-year box office is way up in all categories (admissions, USD, Euros and RON - local currency).

- Daddy's Home was this weekend's champion, debuting with a better than expected 40.093 adm and $188k. That is a fine start and with good WOM (8.2 grade on CineMagia), it should exceed $600k.

- Point Break fell 54% and while that may seem like a very steep drop, it held much better than last year's Seventh Son (-65%). It now stands at a mighty $676k and it should become the first $1m grosser of the year.

- Star Wars: The Force Awakens had to settle for third, but it had a good hold (-44%) and it's cume is now a huge $2.93m. By Monday, it should have already beaten The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies to become the second highest grossing movie ever, behind Avatar

- The Forest overperformed, opening with 20.382 adm and $89k. That is really good for a horror movie. Still, it's run will be rather unimpressive.

- Joy flopped, with 10.988 adm and $54k.

- In 9th, The Danish Girl brought it 7.938 adm and 38k, an ok-ish result considering the movies' controversial theme. 

Top 10

wCrkLoT.jpg

Next week's openers:

- The Hateful Eight

- Ride Along 2

- Norm of the North

- La isla minima

I really don't know what's up with The Hateful Eight. At some point it was opened for presales on the main theater chain's site. Now it is gone.

The first Ride Along opened with a bit over 16.000 adm and legged it's way to almost 80.000. So I expect over 20.000 adm for the sequel.

Norm of the North should also open around 20.000 adm, while La isla minima - let's say 5.000.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Wonka said:

I'm going with 35-40k adm for Hateful Eight, in any case will do better than Django.

Hmmm... I really don't know what to think about it. Django had Leo and this seems much less audience friendly. But at least it is now on the CinemaCity site.

And speaking of Leo, tickets for The Revenant, opening the next weekend, went on sale. I have a feeling we're in for a big/huge debut. The trailer got great reactions every time I've seen it.

Edited by James

Insane weekend incoming. Ride Along 2 and The Hateful Eight are both doing great business, with lots and lots of sellouts everywhere.

The first Ride Along ended it's run with almost 80.000 adm, after opening with around 20.000. I might overpredict it, but damn, I'm thinking the sequel might open with around 60.000 adm.

And The Hateful Eight is also heading to close to 50.000 adm I think. It's receiving more shows than Ride Along 2. 

Daddy's Home also continues to do strong numbers.

Overall I think we'll have a 5th weekend in a row among the most attended weekends ever. The BO is booming.  

As for The Revenant, opening next weekend, it has IMAX and it's tickets are selling like hot cake. Another 50.000+ adm OW is likely.

Edited by James
  • Like 3

Dirty Grandpa biggest OW of the year, so far, with 74.056 adm & $363k.Overall a great week

This friday Deadpool, Zoolander 2, How to Be Single, La tete haute and Orizont (local) are released.I'm expecting a good OW for Deadpool maybe around 60k adm

Top 10

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wonka said:

Dirty Grandpa biggest OW of the year, so far, with 74.056 adm & $363k.Overall a great week

This friday Deadpool, Zoolander 2, How to Be Single, La tete haute and Orizont (local) are released.I'm expecting a good OW for Deadpool maybe around 60k adm

Top 10

RhV5Ci5.png

That is an amazing OW for Dirty Grandpa and it came out of the blue. Considering the presales for Deadpool I wouldn't be surprised if it opens way above 60k adm. I think it will beat Grandpa for the biggest OW of the year so far.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James said:

That is an amazing OW for Dirty Grandpa and it came out of the blue. Considering the presales for Deadpool I wouldn't be surprised if it opens way above 60k adm. I think it will beat Grandpa for the biggest OW of the year so far.

Yes the romanian public is sometimes unpredictable, Deadpool is my bet this year and it would be cool to finish in top 10 by the end, so to beat Grandpa's OW the better.:)

On 2/9/2016 at 8:11 AM, Wonka said:

Yes the romanian public is sometimes unpredictable, Deadpool is my bet this year and it would be cool to finish in top 10 by the end, so to beat Grandpa's OW the better.:)

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think Deadpool might actually debut with over 100.000 adm. The presales on Cinemacity, Cinema Colours, Line Cinema, Grand Cinema, Movieplex, Cinegrand and the other chains are insane. At the very least it will have the biggest OW for a superhero movie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James said:

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to think Deadpool might actually debut with over 100.000 adm. The presales on Cinemacity, Cinema Colours, Line Cinema, Grand Cinema, Movieplex, Cinegrand and the other chains are insane. At the very least it will have the biggest OW for a superhero movie. 

That would be something indeed, looking forward to see it.Deadpool best movie for Valentine's day :lol:

What movie do you think it will be highest in terms of adm. this year?

11 hours ago, James said:

Yup, that 100.000 adm OW for Deadpool is all but confirmed. I think it can even reach 120.000-130.000. Might actually make it to Top 5 biggest OW's ever. This is absolutely insane!

I saw it yesterday and I was amazed how packed the movie theater was, almost run out without the good seats an 1h before the event, nonetheless I think top 5 it's very possible, is needed >123.000 adm

Deadpool just registered the 6th biggest OW ever in admissions, with a fantastic 118.149 tickets sold and and $562k. That completely obliterates the previous record holder for the superhero genre, Avengers: Age of Ultron, which opened to 70.118 adm and $385k.

Complete analysis coming later today.

• Like 1

Gods of Egypt had an even bigger OW than I expected with 71.712 admission and $384k and WOM seems to be strong (8.4/10 on Cinemagia). It should make over $1m and it might actually be amongst the year's Top 10, as I predicted.

Dirty Grandpa continued to have incredible holds and passed the $1m border. Only the second movie this year to do so after Deadpool.

And speking of Deadpool, with $1.34m after 3 weeks it is already the second highest grossing superhero flick ever, behind only Thor 2. That will be passed as well by next weekend. 

Zooptopia and Brothers Grimsby open next weekend.

• Like 2

Good drop on Dirty Grandpa for the second consecutive weekend .I'm expecting a good opening for Zootopia, it had a good reaction when the trailer played.After 2 months from this year we have 6 movies over 100.000 adm, and 3 movies over $1m (including Gods of Egypt).

This month we should have 3-4 movies over 100k adm.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2016 at 9:12 AM, Wonka said:

Good drop on Dirty Grandpa for the second consecutive weekend .I'm expecting a good opening for Zootopia, it had a good reaction when the trailer played.After 2 months from this year we have 6 movies over 100.000 adm, and 3 movies over $1m (including Gods of Egypt).

This month we should have 3-4 movies over 100k adm.

I'd say 5 movies over 100k adm in March: Zootopia, Allegiant, Kung Fu Panda 3, London Has Fallen and Batman v Superman.