Ionut Alexandru Tita

Romania Box Office

WEEKEND RESULTS:

Fast and Furious 7 just shattered the opening weekend record set by 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' (148.642 admissions and $860k). First results put it at an incredible 196.210 admissions and $908k). Complete analysis to come later today.

Edited by James
  • Like 7

WEEKEND RESULTS:

Fast and Furious 7 just shattered the opening weekend record set by 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' (148.642 admissions and $860k). First results put it at an incredible 196.210 admissions and $908k). Complete analysis to come later today.

:mouthdropped:

YES! I knew it FF7 will be HUGE, and will have chances to beat TH3. But 177.000 adm was my bet. 

Almost 200k...this is INSANEEEEEEE !!!!! 

It is :D Can't wait for Cinemagia to report all results. I think we just had the biggest overall weekend ever in admissions. Also, I am curious about FF7's legs. If it follows FF6 it will finish a bit above $2.5m (3rd highest grossing movie ever, behind Avatar and TH3) and with around 590.000 adm (second most attended of the 21st century behind Avatar). 

Wow, that's massive! The next one to break the record is MJ2. B)

There is 0% chance that happens. I mean, MJ1, the most attended movie in the series, sold less admissions in it's entire run than FF7 did on it's OW.

In fact, if SW7 doesn't suddently become an unprecedented phenomenon, nothing will break that record till the next Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

The only other movie that has a real chance at breaking 100.000 adm on it's OW this year is Spectre. MJ2 has a 50/50 chance (though it would require quite an increase) and TA2 has about a 10% chance.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

Wow, that's massive! The next one to break the record is MJ2. B)

It's impossible. But maybe MJ2 will have more adm than F7 OW :D

Like James said: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has a chance to beat this monster. And if Pirates will fail, F&F8 will have the 1st OW over 200k...maybe over 250k. 

• Like 2

It's impossible. But maybe MJ2 will have more adm than F7 OW :D

Like James said: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales has a chance to beat this monster. And if Pirates will fail, F&F8 will have the 1st OW over 200k...maybe over 250k. 

I doubt that FF8 will break the record again. I mean, a lot of people I've talked to saw this movie because it was Paul Walker's last role. That really brought a lot of female demo to the theatres. But again, the market is expanding quite fast, so I hope you are right. Also, I have no doubt Pirates 4 will break the record. And if the exchange rates get better in the next few years, it might actually challenge Avatar. POTC is one incredibly leggy series in Romania. The last one actually had better legs in summer than TH did in Winter, which is just insane.

I doubt that FF8 will break the record again. I mean, a lot of people I've talked to saw this movie because it was Paul Walker's last role. That really brought a lot of female demo to the theatres. But again, the market is expanding quite fast, so I hope you are right. Also, I have no doubt Pirates 4 will break the record. And if the exchange rates get better in the next few years, it might actually challenge Avatar. POTC is one incredibly leggy series in Romania. The last one actually had better legs in summer than TH did in Winter, which is just insane.

And ppl keep saying that Paul didn't helped in that increase everywhere..

• Like 2

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Thanks to 'Fast and Furious 7's record breaking opening, last weekend was the 6th most attended overall weekend ever.

- Fast and Furious 7 opened to an incredible 196.210 admissions and $899k. That is way up from the previous record holder, 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' in both admissions (148.191) and USD ($860k).

Highest OWs  ever:

KlEC7wv.jpg

It is also more than double the previous high of the franchise.

Here is a chart that shows the evolution of the series over the years:

Dv25cI5.jpg

With no competition till 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' arrives, on the 24th, and because it's getting so much kiddie audience, 'Fast and Furious 7' is locked to end up with at least 500.000 admissions and $2.3m. In fact, if it follows 'Fast and Furious 6', it will end up with $2.5m+ and almost 600.000 adm, which would be the third highest grossing title ever behind only 'Avatar' and 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'.

Either way, the only way 'Furious 7' doesn't win the year, is if 'Star Wars 7' seriously overperforms even the wildest predictions.

- In second, TinkerBell and the Legend of the NeverBeast opened to 18.977 adm and $87k. That is way behind the last movie in the franchise, despite Disney releasing it on 98 screens, one of the widest releases ever, and way above the 75 screens of 'Furious 7'. :lol:

- In third, Insurgent fell 57% and reached $560k. That is actually the second best hold in the Top 10, which goes to show what a beast 'Furious 7' is. Anyway, 'Insurgent' now surpassed 'Divergent' in both tickets and USD and it is going to finish with at least $700k.

- Get Hard collapsed 64% and reached a good $268k.

- Home was down 68% and it now stands at a weak $117k.

- Cinderella slided 64%. Total is $418k.

- Big Game lost a huge 71%. Cume: $110k.

- Local title Aferim! actually had the best hold (-47%). It now made $173k, which is quite a win for the dead local market.

- Run All Night dropped big again (-66%). Total is $265k.

- Focus closes the top, after sliding 64% to reach a great $753k.

Top 10

oa2xOPw.jpg

Next week's openers:

- The Longest Ride

- Kidnapping Mr. Heineken

- Minuscule - La vallee des fourmis perdues

- Un beau dimanche

If any of these titles opens above 10.000 adm, it won't be by much.

• Like 5

UPDATE: FF7 will have a massive drop this weekend. It is still selling like crazy, but today, Sunday, is the first Easter day and most theatres are closed and yesterday it only got 3-4 shows in most locations. Last year, Captain America 2 dropped 70% on the Easter weekend. Still, this past week was the so called "Saptamana Altfel", which was basically a week of fun activities for schoolers and high schoolers and they make a big part of FF7's audience and this next week is the Easter break so the week days will probably be huge again. 400.000 admissions by the end of today is still possible.

• Like 1

WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

Easter weekend came with huge drops for all movies, but the week preceding the Easter was one of the biggest ever.

- Fast and Furious 7 dropped 80% in it's second frame, and while that seems awful, it's really not. Most theatres were closed on Sunday and only had a few shows on Saturday. But the weekdays were out of this world for every movie. This way, despite 'Fast and Furious 7' only making 40.000 adm during the weekend, the Monday-Thursday frame brought in over 170.000 tickets. After 10 days, the seventh instalment in the 'Fast' franchise sits at a monster $1.7m (9th highest grossing movie ever) and 406.118 admissions (4th most attended movie of the 21st century, behind 'Avatar' and two 'Hobbit' films). It is already No. 1 for the year ahead of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and it will very likely maintain that position).

Also, next weekend looks promising for 'Furious 7' and for all movies in fact, because we talk Easter break, when most films increase from the previous week/weekend. So look for 'Fast 7' to be around 600.000 admissions and $2.3m by next Sunday. In fact, if it doesn't get very affected by 'Age of Ultron', it might have a chance at passing 'Avatar' in admissions (and only admissions, considering it already legs behind 'The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies' in USD, despite selling way more tickets; reason: bad exchange rates and lack of 3D).

- In second, Insurgent had the best drop in Top 10 (-67%) and now stands at $641k. That is great for it and with good WOM it has a chance at overtaking the biggest 'Hunger Games' movie, 'Catching Fire' (so $850k+ finish).

- TinkerBell and the Legend of the NeverBeast was down 80% and total is $171k.

- Get Hard slides 73% and reaches a good $321k.

- Next we have 3 openers (Minuscule - La vallee des fourmis perdues, Kidnapping Mr. Heineken and The Longest Ride). All of them bombed, not even touching 5.000 adm. 

- Home's (-70%) gross is a weak $158k.

- Cinderella (-73%) won't even reach half of 'Maleficent's total (it now stands at $456k).

- Big Game closes the top after an 80% drop.

- Way down the list, Un beau dimanche only sold a laughable 32 tickets.

Top 10

naCubue.jpg

Next week's openers:

- Paul Bart: Mall Cop 2

- Cut Bank

- One Direction: The Inside Story

- Danny Collins

The first 'Paul Bart' was a bomb here, but the presales for the sequel seem quite promising. A 30.000 adm OW might be in order.

'Cut Bank' may have a slim chance at topping 10.000 adm, while the others will flop. 

TOP 10 for 2015:

0NHVKtS.jpg

Edited by James
  • Like 3