grim22

Weekend #s. MJ2 51.6/75.7M, TGD 39.2/55.6M lowest Pixar opening since Bugs Life, Creed 30/42M biggest OW for a boxing movie

8 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Yes, it's awful nonsensical dull rubbish. But it's just my opinion so don't let me put you off watching it.

I wasn't plan on watching it but there's a huge difference between your opinion and the critics (93% on RT).

Edited by grey ghost

One of the biggest weekends ever in Portugal. History is being made. 2015 has been absolutely phenomenal. The rebound of theaters. My local theater sold out 5 of his 6 screens tonight. Even The Last Witch Hunter sold out and has been in theaters since October! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, treeroy said:

Jupiter Ascending was enjoyable. Hardly the worst film of the year.

Worst films of the year would be things like Taken 3, The Visit, Sicario.

Taken 3 isn't terrible. Its just kind of uninspiring after the first 40 minutes

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

One of the biggest weekends ever in Portugal. History is being made. 2015 has been absolutely phenomenal. The rebound of theaters. My local theater sold out 5 of his 6 screens tonight. Even The Last Witch Hunter sold out and has been in theaters since October! 

Bizzaro world. The opposite of the normal world.

• Like 2

My worst of the year are Taken 3, Hot Pursuit, Tomorrowland, Fantastic Four, Focus and Blackhat. Into the Woods opened here this year and I hated it. There are also two portuguese movies I saw that are terrible. Hitman and Transporter are awful as well but I had too much fun with both. Burnt, Minions and Terminator are ok, all three have things I liked that make them decent enough to.

19 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I wasn't plan on watching it but there's a huge difference between your opinion and the critics (93% on RT).

Sicario is one of the best of the year, IMO. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Portugal based sequel incoming.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CJohn said:

My worst of the year are Taken 3, Hot Pursuit, Tomorrowland, Fantastic Four, Focus and Blackhat. Into the Woods opened here this year and I hated it. There are also two portuguese movies I saw that are terrible. Hitman and Transporter are awful as well but I had too much fun with both. Burnt, Minions and Terminator are ok, all three have things I liked that make them decent enough to.

Sicario is one of the best of the year, IMO. 

:kitschjob:

6 minutes ago, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Plus Seventh Son and 47 Ronin.

That one is a different movie. Seventh Son and the 47 Ronin.

All of this leading into The Battle of the Flops: Dawn of Portugal. 

• Like 3

terminator and fantastic four. really the only 2015 movies I've seen that I can say I've got a real strong dislike for. like even stuff that was quite annoying like dying girl had stuff in there. the dying girl is great in it and despite myself there were one or two gags I laughed at.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

terminator and fantastic four. really the only 2015 movies I've seen that I can say I've got a real strong dislike for. like even stuff that was quite annoying like dying girl had stuff in there. the dying girl is great in it and despite myself there were one or two gags I laughed at.

Shit I still need to watch Mr and Earl and the Dying Girl

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Get ready for Point Break to outgross TFA in Portugal next month.

Point Break was supposed to come out on January 7 but it was pulled from schedule. Our distributor is still deciding on a new date.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gopher said:

TGD marketing campaign was going so so so well until October. Then it's like Disney didn't decide to kick it into second gear. I heard nobody talking about the movie online or in real life, which has never happened for Pixar. No non-trade reviews were released until this week which reeked of the studio being afraid of a wide broad reception too early in the month. The fact that this definitely appeared their most "kiddie" film in a while, coupled with the fact that their comeback/most "adult" movie exploded just this year, this apparently seemed like a film worth burying for the studio. I doubt they're too upset, Dory and Moana are gonna do great great business next year (I refuse to believe movies like Zootopia can still make money). 

Creed is our first real breakout since The Martian. WOM's fantastic too. Should be able to play through January. 

Peanuts might not break a 3x. That's crazy, inexplicable and terrible. Watch families come out for everything over Xmas in full force. 

Yeah the marketing for it did seem to really cool off in the last month for some reason. They were doing great before that. I'm also wondering if animation oversaturation finally kicked in this year. I mean we had 3 really big animated hits released between June and September, and now two months later two more were released and expected to do big numbers. That's why I was never predicting big numbers for Peanuts, but it did better than I thought actually. The demand for that market may simply be exhausted by now though, and as far as we know TGD is only even doing this because it is Pixar. Would've been nice if it could've had the month to itself for animation.

I do expect more big budget animation underperformers in the years to come as they saturate the market even more. Next summer could be a disaster for everything besides Dory and Pets given there's also Ice Age 5, Angry Birds, Ratchet and Clank, and Kubo and the Two Strings in the mix (and Pete's Dragon is part animation). And next Holiday has 3 of the big 4 releasing, with Trolls, Moana, and Sing. 

• Like 1