chasmmi

What is the GA hype for Star Wars Like in your neck of the woods?

The thought occurred to me last week that despite the mass appeal and crazy pre-order numbers for TFA in places like the USA, here is Korea, you still wouldn't even know the film is coming out.

I was chatting with a cinema-going friend of mine a few days ago and me telling him, was the first he'd heard of a new star Wars film being made. At first I thought that was crazy seeing as how everywhere that film has been in the US/Europe part of the interweb.

But then I thought about it; I haven't seen a single trailer for Star, nor a poster or anything. When I asked my local cinema (the biggest chain in Korea) about preordering, I was told I can't do it until the Monday before release as with any film. It's crazy when I think about it. I've seen trailers for The Revenant and HEart of the Sea for weeks, yet nothing for TFA.

I still expect it to be crazy big here once the date draws near, but I just found it odd that literally the only thing Star Wars you can see in Seoul (15 days before release) is a special chicken tikka Subway Sandwich Set.

How about in other parts of the world. Is Star Wars everywhere? Or just a big film that only internet types and megafans know is coming?

• Like 1

It's huge here. Pre-orders started 2 months before release (they never start more than a month out) and everything filled up so quickly that even my small-ish 6-screen cinema had to add additional midnight shows. Plus, the ads and tie-ins are everywhere, I even saw one in a shoe store...

So yeah, pretty good for a no good country like Croatia :D

Everyone I know everywhere is talking about it. and I live in the country! although when I talked to the sales clerk when I saw mockingjay. they said the first show was only about half-way sold out. but that still is pretty crazy for a movie still about a month away in a small town. 

Edited by Kalo

For Germany pretty big... several stores are flooded with (cheap!) merchandising.

But a lot of people already express their annoyance with the amount of merchandising thrown in their face... many are a bit "shocked" when I tell them that there are at least four more movies coming over the next years. It truly feels more like a sales-event than a true cinematic-event. 

Awareness is massive, though. Even among people who will probably never see it and are totally not interested in movies.

The only comparable awareness I can remember are LotR, HP (the last ones, at least) and Hobbit (the first one, at least).

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1

I don't see heavy advertising, but everyone knows it's coming. It'll be huge, like the biggest movie since Avatar. Revenge of the Sith has the adm. OW record here, i think TFA can sell more tickets. Lots of sellouts and those are rare in Hungarian cinemas.