AndyLL

Bone Tomahawk (2015)

Grade it  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It is the official opinion of this cinephile that this particular horror western is one of the better pictures of the year, and all of you fine ladies and gentlemen should not forfeit the opportunity to get acquainted with it. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2015 at 6:55 PM, Jake Gittes said:

It is the official opinion of this cinephile that this particular horror western is one of the better pictures of the year, and all of you fine ladies and gentlemen should not forfeit the opportunity to get acquainted with it. 

Just finished it up. Certainly imperfect but holy fuck. I mean, damn. Yeah... A-. This year's The Rover for me.

• Like 2

Bone Tomahawk is alright. It gets much better in the second half, probably because in the first half I was so annoyed by truly awful cinematography. Who shoots digitally, with shaky cam, on a WESTERN? It's distracting and felt awful. The second half is also much more exciting. The only actor I liked was Patrick Wilson, but that's more because I like Wilson. This "dark" trend in Westerns is getting old personally, although I liked the creative violence it used. Bone Tomahawk is worth checking out, but don't expect too much. C+

I thought it was great.

One thing bugged me though, counting the kills in the final act.

The prisoners establish that they believe there are 12 (or more) troglodytes. Something doesn't add up.

- three are killed in the first ambush. #3

- three are poisoned inside the cave. #6

- O'dwyer kills three on his way back to the cave. #9

- Inside the cave, three gunshots are heard before O'dwyer reappears. Two are hits and one ricochets; we can assume at least one has been killed. #10

- When the leader tries to kill the sheriff, O'dwyer kills him. #11

- So 11 or 12, out of 12, are dead. Sheriff then asks O'dwyer how many he killed, O'dwyer says "3", and the sheriff/O'dwyers wife say "well we believe there are 12, so three more left to kill."

This doesn't add up. I know it's super petty (and honestly that says a lot, that my biggest issue is a little math error) but am I just being stupid or is the movie incorrect?

Edited by Total Treecall

The middle 75 minutes is far too plodding for my taste.  Great intro, but the film thereafter spins its wheels and fails to develop the needed sense of dread to accentuate the chaos of the final act.  As a result, it's a well-made film, but rather inconsequential in nature.

6 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

There's nothing to establish that they were accurate with their guesses.

I know, but towards the end they repeat the 12 figure. After they've actually killed eleven, one of them says something along the lines of, "we think there were 12, which means there are 3 left". It doesn't add up :P 

This is really really petty, I know. But it really bugged me. xD