Impact

2012 Best Picture Thread

End of year rankingsFrontrunner1. Lincoln (--)Locks for noms, solid chances for wins2. Les Misérables (up 1)3. Zero Dark Thirty (down 1)Near locks for noms, potential spoilers for wins4. Argo (--)5. Silver Linings Playbook (--)6. Life of Pi (--)7. Django Unchained (--)Good chances for noms8. Beasts of the Southern Wild (--)9. The Master (--)Still in the race10. Moonrise Kingdom (--)11. Amour (--)12. The Impossible (up 1)Falling out of it13. Flight (down 1)14. The Sessions (--)15. The Dark Knight Rises (up 1)16. Skyfall (up 1)17. The Perks of Being A Wallflower (down 3)

I think Marigold Hotel is going to sneak in....I just have that feeling. So my nominations (assuming we have 7) are:ArgoSLPLes MizZDTMarigoldDjangoLincoln

LoP is more likely than Django but I agree that Marigold has a decent chance of getting in.

With what film?

Hoop Dreams from 1994. It by traditional logic would've made the BP list had there been 10 nominees, or the 5% rule. [10 nominee rule for sure, 5% is on more shaky ground] I would hazard a guess and say Inconvenient truth would've made a 10 nominee line-up as well.

I'd switch moonrise with marigold

Don't think so. Marigold will get Brit support, and it got SAG which means that it has substantial support among the actors who treat this category often times like BP. (In 2003 3 nominees had 4 people or less in their "ensemble" ) Also, Marigold is much more accessible and Academy friendly than Moonrise.