druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

22 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

It's an odd feeling being in the Midwest and not being part of some big weather event. Just a little rain here

Lol! Where I live, we just have rain as well, though thankfully will finally have a bit of snow in the morning as well.

1 minute ago, Dark 33Legend of the Sith said:

Sorry, missed that lol.  

He also left out the part where @redfirebird2008 and some others made excellent points after that post I made about the weather possibly not letting up tomorrow yet or the roads at least still being really bad. If I had known/considered that first I wouldn't have said what I did in the first place. I'd be dumb to be 100% certain in such a low hold without 100% knowing for sure if the weather will still be bad tomorrow throughout the midwest. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

I'm a man of my word, Baumer can verify. If it grosses less than $45m today... & it drops more than 20% tomorrow I win, if it's less than 20% you win. 

I am no longer certain in a sub 20% hold, and you know the reasons why. I'm allowed to change my mind when a compelling argument comes up. I might be willing to do something where you say a range and then the buffer is in the middle of our ranges, but that's about it. I'm not making a bet the weather might ensure I lose. 

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

He also left out the part where @redfirebird2008 and some others made excellent points after that post I made about the weather possibly not letting up tomorrow yet or the roads at least still being really bad. If I had known/considered that first I wouldn't have said what I did in the first place. I'd be dumb to be 100% certain in such a low hold without 100% knowing for sure if the weather will still be bad tomorrow throughout the midwest. 

But he didn't miss the part about you proposing a bet unprovoked & then trying to back out of it. Neither did anyone, they just need to read the previous page lol.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I am no longer certain in a sub 20% hold, and you know the reasons why. I'm allowed to change my mind when a compelling argument comes up. I might be willing to do something where you say a range and then the buffer is in the middle of our ranges, but that's about it. I'm not making a bet the weather might ensure I lose. 

You are no longer certain in something you wanted to bet on 20 minutes ago? Lmao.

<blockquote class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote="" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="2327906" data-ipsquote-contentid="20811" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1451276372" data-ipsquote-userid="616" data-ipsquote-username="MovieMan89">
    <div class="ipsQuote_citation">
        23 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:
    </div>

<div class="ipsQuote_contents ipsClearfix">
        <p>
            If it drops below 45m today, I&#39;d be willing to bet a -18-20% hold is coming Monday.&nbsp;
        </p>
    </div>
</blockquote>

<p>
    &nbsp;
</p>

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

But he didn't miss the part about you proposing a bet unprovoked & then trying to back out of it. Neither did anyone, they just need to read the previous page lol.

A bet that was NOT proposed to you in the first place I might add. And I hate to break it to you, but have to agree to a bet first in order to back out of it, of which I explicitly said I did not agree. So unless you live under a bridge and like to scare billy goats, I am not sure what the issue is here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

A bet that was NOT proposed to you in the first place I might add. And I hate to break it to you, but have to agree to a bet first in order to back out of it, of which I explicitly said I did not agree. So unless you live under a bridge and like to scare billy goats, I am not sure what the issue is here. 

The issue is you talk big about what your views then you propose a bet & aren't willing to discuss terms when someone wants to take you up on it. It shows your conviction is hilariously weak.

Just now, GiantCALBears said:

The issue is you talk big about what your views then you propose a bet & aren't willing to discuss terms when someone wants to take you up on it. It shows your conviction is hilariously weak.

Why would I have convictions about something I'm no longer convinced is all that likely? That would just make me stubborn and foolish. The initial statement wasn't directed at anyone, you chose to take it as being directed as me proposing a bet to you. Believe me, I would have said that if that had been what I wanted. I already told you what terms I would be willing to consider a bet with you on, and I wont repeat them. Now unless you do want to discuss those terms, I won't be responding about this silliness any further. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Why would I have convictions about something I'm no longer convinced is all that likely? That would just make me stubborn and foolish. The initial statement wasn't directed at anyone, you chose to take it as being directed as me proposing a bet to you. Believe me, I would have said that if that had been what I wanted. I already told you what terms I would be willing to consider a bet with you on, and I wont repeat them. Now unless you do want to discuss those terms, I won't be responding about this silliness any further. 

Ok so what % do you want the break even line to be then?

4 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

He predicted a smaller drop before the he knew how bad the weather conditions were going to be.

Why should he ignore the bad weather conditions?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, lilmac said:

Much of Avatar's success was due to its revolutionary use of 3D. There will be a movie in the future which will again transform how we view movies. This is years away but I can see a immersive experience (virtual reality) which, if done right, could destroy the $1 billion domestic mark. Another method could be the randomly generated movie. The production could have made multiple versions of certain scenes and parts of the movie and the audience can somehow pick options to see how that would play out. In that case you would have repeat business as people go back to see a different version of the film they saw.   

That sounds really cool.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Episode 8 is doomed at the box office in general. It can never live up to this, which is sad since I suspect it could definitely be another ESB situation where it's even better than its predecessor. 

I'm definitely getting the feeling I'll like SW8 even more as well.    And I'm sure it'll gross a lot less.

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Chocolate is the most overrated food on the planet. By far. 

57683623.jpg

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

But ice cream has sold more than cake in 2015.

That means ice cream is superior.

And don't try to bring up old cake sales adjusted for inflation. :ph34r:

Genius. :D

1 hour ago, GiantCALBears said:

BLAME THE WEATHER! Gogogogo.

I'm convinced it's a big factor here in Dallas.   Another example is last night my band played the club which is normally the most packed with people.  We really look forward to playing there because of that.    Last night it was about half full because of the bad weather  (tornadoes, heavy rain, dropping temps)

35 minutes ago, spizzer said:

No its not.  

Well, when you posted this link earlier in the thread:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

I was curious so I looked up this one:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avengers11.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

And this one:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=jurassicpark4.htm&adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

Same box office site you used.   :D

17 minutes ago, JeepCSC said:

On that note, place Force Awakens in 1939, and Gone with the Wind outdoes it across-the-board. The audience simply wasn't there then. Tickets sold, even rough estimates, seem the best way to discuss this. How many tickets could the sell at market price when it was released? There are of course other considerations, but that seems to get to the heart of the matter. How popular was the film in its own era compared to other films in other eras.

Agreed.  SW7 in 1939 would be a cheesy Buck Rogers short film which would be forgotten.   Today GWTW would be a "chick flick".  GWTW did change cinema and so did ANH.   Every box office giant can really only be compared to its own era.      1999 was not the the same as today either.

• Like 2