baumer

Trumbo (2015)

Trumbo  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A moronic, insulting film that's as superficial as a film can be on the subject matter. felt like an adaptation of dalton trumbo's wikipedia page. even cranston's performance was nothing but all these weird affectations that the real dalton trumbo doesn't have. felt like he was trying to hard. special LVP shout outs to the dudes playing kirk douglas and john wayne though who were aawwwwwfffffuuul.

• Like 2

One of the best films of the year.  I was shocked, rather floored with how good it was.  Me and coolio saw different movies.  He must have seen the one that was produced by Asylum because this film that I saw is absolutely brilliant.

9.5/10  

It's a load of pandering, witless garbage that plays like a parody of surface-level Hollywood biopics. I can't remember the last time a movie talked down to me like I was in a primary school so much. I mean the only thing it needed to achieve full idiotic self-satisfied perfection was a scene where a child Trumbo gets bullied after reading something he's written out loud, and then his teacher says "Don't listen to them, Dalton, you have a GIFT" and the music swells and then the movie calls back to it an hour later or something, to double down on all the inspiration. Interminable. 

"Your screenplays are too long."

"I've heard that before."

Jay Roach is one of my favorite directors of all time. While his movies are very hit-and-miss, I love his style - it has the right combination of great friendship dynamics, punching up, and effortless slapstick.

Trumbo is Roach's first dramatic film, but it's still his style first and foremost. It could have easily failed since his heroes and villains are cartoonish, but this time they're played by the two greatest actors to lead his films, Bryan Cranston and Helen Mirren. They bring an aura of realism to the film that most of Roach's other stuff doesn't have.

While the acting and style are strong, I thought the editing and the score were the best parts of the film.

The reason I don't give this an A is because other than Trumbo, his family, and Hopper, the rest of the characters are pretty one-dimensional and unrealistic, which is a no-no for a film based on real people.

A-

Edited by department store basement
  • Like 1