DAJK

Thread of the Century ;) DAJK's Top 20 Best and Top 10 Worst Films of 2015

This is happening yo. Finally, I think I've seen enough movies this year to do "best of/worst of" lists (sorry Steve Jobs and Macbeth you two will have to wait). I can already tell that this list will be extremely different that practically all other lists on this Forum, so turn any negative comments into "helpful suggestions" ;)

Anyways, I should say that this is really a "my favourite and least favourite" movies of the year. In that regard, this list is COMPLETELY biased: so when you guys see Star Wars trump Spotlight, you know why. I have to admit though, there were actually more awards films in my list this year than last year. So without further ado, let us begin with a quick summary of my top 10 Worst Movies of 2015 before we get to those gold nuggets of film :)

• Like 4

#10 Worst Movie of 2015

Poltergeist (2015)

file_605711_poltergeist-remake-trailer.j

Talk about an un-scary horror movie. While 2015's Poltergesit wasn't overbearingly bad, it failed to do what a horror film should: be creepy. I saw this movie in a nearly empty theatre with only an old couple in the back row (who I think both fell asleep), and not once did I get the chills, jump in my seat, or feel uneasy being almost alone in this dark, intimidating room. With a few "fun" scenes and some decent performances, Poltergeist saves itself from being higher up on this list.

• Like 2

#9 Worst Movie of 2015

Pan

pan-warner-bros-poster.jpg

Talk about a swing and a miss. I can't go too hard on Pan, because my uncle worked as an effects-guy on it... just kidding I kinda want to rip this movie to pieces (but the effects weren't bad...). At the beginning of this film my friends and I commented on how it gave off a bit of Harry Potter vibes, and we liked where the movie was going. Aaaaaand then they got to Neverland. My god was thing script bad; the direction too weird, the performances resembling those of an over-dramatic high-school play. And the elements that did work only did because of how over-used they were in other movies, and it was nice to see something recognizable. The whole Hook aspect was wasted, almost as wasted as this movie is a waste of your time.

Note to my uncle: if you're ever talking to people about movies you've worked on, maybe mention District 9 or Furious 7, or Batman v Superman. Leave this one out of the conversation.

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 5

#8 Worst Movie of 2015

Point Break (2015)

MV5BMjIxNDkzOTAyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjEy

How very unfortunate indeed. While the original Point Break was no masterpiece, it was a fun little action movie. The only thing this sequel offers is some truly terrific stunt work, cinematography, music, sound, and action. Now, I know a guy in film school who might say "good cinematography? So what can possibly be wrong with it?" (you're never going to read this but I'm just teasing) I'll tell you what's wrong with Point Break. EVERYTHING ELSE! The script puts zero effort in fleshing out a relationship between the two leads, the actors themselves don't even look like they have great chemistry. There are scenes that are just plain stupid, as well as plot "twists" you see coming from a mile away. It's a shame when such great technical work goes into a bad, bad movie.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

#9 Worst Movie of 2015

Pan

pan-warner-bros-poster.jpg

Talk about a swing and a miss. I can't go too hard on Pan, because my uncle worked as an effects-guy on it... just kidding I kinda want to rip this movie to pieces (but the effects weren't bad...). At the beginning of this film my friends and I commented on how it gave off a bit of Harry Potter vibes, and we liked where the movie was going. Aaaaaand then they got to Neverland. My god was thing script bad; the direction too weird, the performances resembling those of an over-dramatic high-school play. And the elements that did work only did because of how over-used they were in other movies, and it was nice to see something recognizable. The whole Hook aspect was wasted, almost as wasted as this movie is a waste of your time.

Note to my uncle: if you're ever talking to people about movies you've worked on, maybe mention District 9 or Furious 7, or Batman v Superman. Leave this one out of the conversation.

That's really cool! Not to derail this, but what other movies has he worked on?

• Like 2

#7 Worst Movie of 2015

The Transporter: Refueled

MV5BMjAyMDE2ODU3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODU0

This is the movie that made Hitman: Agent 47 look good from the trailers. Not only was this a bad movie, but by god did this have some godawful trailers. I work at the movie theatre (and as an usher at least half the time) so I interact with a lot of people who come to the movies, and let me tell you, not one person that I talked to would have given Transporter Refueled a positive review. We have a 1/2 refund policy, but there was one night where an older man was the only person in Transporter, and he walked out so disappointed (he wasn't mad or rude, just "that really sucked") that my boss just gave him his 11 dollars back from her own wallet. THAT BAD.

So what are my thoughts? Bad scripting, lazy action, zero level of believe-ability, almost no tension. Just dumb car races and a pile of actors "acting" their way to a paycheck.

• Like 2

#6 Worst Movie of 2015

Aloha

poster-large.jpg?lastmod=1

I personally didn't think it looked all that bad. But the movie itself is just a big "WHO CARES?" I'm being serious, that when the drama is going down, you don't care what happens one way or another, because this movie will just bore you to tears. How does a talented filmmaker like Cameron Crowe get together a bunch of extremely talented actors (Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone, Rachel McAdams, Bill Murray) and make such a dull slog of a movie? I don't know. But what I do know is that you should never watch this movie. It isn't even on the "so bad it's good level". It's just boring.

• Like 2

#5 Worst Movie of 2015

Mortdecai

MV5BMjM3NDcxOTM5Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTEw

Now THIS is the definition of a movie that is "so bad it's good". Unlike all other movies on this worst of 2015 list, my little "review" is actually going to sound a bit positive. Seriously, this movie is a blast. I've never been drunk, but I already have plans for what I'm going to do when I do get drunk. When (I think it was Tree but I don't want to say for certain) Tree said "Johnny Depp just poked a cactus and said ow", memories flooded back to be how honorably bad Mortdecai is. A fantastic (fantastically bad?) performance by Johnny Depp mixed with one of the most bizarre senses of humor I have ever seen, Mortdecai is simply great. If any film on this list is going to be looked upon 10 years from now if film classes as being "misunderstood genius", it's this one.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

That's really cool! Not to derail this, but what other movies has he worked on?

I think District 9 was his first, but I know he did a bunch of scenes involving the Ice Giants in the first Thor, a Dementors in Deathly Hallows, (then a little blip in his career I like to call Jack the Giant Slayer). Recently he's done Furious 7, Pan, San Andreas, and for movies upcoming this year it's The Huntsman, Dawn of Justice, and Star Trek Beyond.

Then he has a few TV shows thrown in there too, but the only one that really stood out to me was Once Upon a Time :)

• Like 1

#4 Worst Movie of 2015

Jupiter Ascending

MV5BMTQyNzk2MjA2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjEw

What an utter waste of potential. The Watchowshi's have proven that they can tell a story, and they can certainly build a compelling world. So why didn't they do either of those in Jupiter Ascending? Beats me. To be fair, the effects were great and the soundtrack is probably in my top 10 favourite of the year. But that doesn't mean this movie was good. No wayyyy does that make this loud, incoherent, confusing, bizarre, cheesy, and bland movie worth the money and time. Just google search a few scenery images from the movie. Or better yet, just look at the poster. The visuals on this poster are most of what Jupiter Ascending has to offer.

• Like 1

#3 Worst Movie of 2015

Fantastic 4

FF_poster.jpg?1432249416

When a few people on these Forums started to predict doom and gloom for this movie months before it came out it kinda irked me. I was thinking "Seriously guys, just wait and see okay? Don't become those internet hate trolls." Well, I will gladly eat crow now, so hats off to you guys. I was wrong in being optimistic for this film, because it sucked. It really sucked. And not just the last 45 minutes (which REALLY sucked). There was hardly a scene in the entire movie where you could say "well, that was good." No. The best this movie did was "well, that scene wasn't as bad." What a waste of a cast and a director. A lot of the drama behind this film makes me wonder what the original cut would have been like. Anyways, while this isn't the doom and gloom of superhero movies, studios better take a look at Fant4stic and say "this is was we AREN'T going to do." 

The only good thing I like about this movie is that, for haters of Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I don't understand as I loved that movie), you can't say anymore that that movie is the worst modern CBM movie. Behold this pile of garbage.

• Like 3

#2 Worst Movie of 2015

Taken 3

MV5BNjM5MDU3NTY0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTk2

I like Liam Neeson. I really like Taken. I even enjoyed Taken 2. So what on Earth went wrong here? This movie is just... bah it's so hard to describe this one. Lazy, boring, generic (if Taken 1 was a great episode of 24, this is a bad episode... there's that much separating these films). This isn't even a Taken movie! Not just that no one is "taken" but it is seriously just a script that was pulled out of the bottom of a filing cabinet, cleared off of years of dust, and a studio head that said "this won't be too expensive to make! Just hire the cast of Taken and we'll make millions!" The action was bad, there were too many plot holes, and my mom (who for some reason liked the movie) had to wake me up twice in the theatre.

• Like 2

#1 Worst Movie of 2015

Hitman: Agent 47

hitman-agent-47-banner.jpg

Seriously, what, what was this "movie". I honestly love our emoticons, because they seriously represent my face watching Hitman: Agent 47. :kitschjob::ohmyzod::ohmygod::redcapes::sarah:

I can't begin to describe how awful this film is. It is under 2 hours long, but I felt like I was in that theatre for days. It just WOULDN'T END! The action was horrible, the script was horrible, the directing was juvenile, the plot holes literally make up the plot. This movie is not entertaining. It serves no purpose. 

Can you tell that I hated this? Not just the worst movie from 2015, but certainly in my top 10 worst movies of all time. 

So that's it guys! My top 10 worst movies of the year! I'm probably not going to get a whole lot done tomorrow, and this upcoming physics test on Friday is stressing me out, but I'll certainly have (my top 20 best movies of the year) section complete by the end of the weekend. Thanks for taking the time to read this section so far and please, share your thoughts :)

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Of the two films from this list I've seen: 

Yeah F4 is bad

Taken 3 I don't actively dislike, it just kinda exists for mW.

You've only seen 2 of these? Good ;) Don't see any more of them. Please.

Wait. See Mortdecai. Everyone has to see Mortdecai.