Ezen Baklattan

The 4th Annual BOX OFFICE THEORY Awards: Official Ceremony

BOFFY IV  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will win Best Picture?

• The Big Short
    • Bridge of Spies
    • Creed
    • Ex Machina
    • Inside Out
    • Mad Max: Fury Road
    • The Martian
    • Room
    • Spotlight
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
  2. 2. How angry will CJohn be with these awards?

• Absolutely
    • Extremely
    • Intensely
    • Profusely
    • Quite a lot

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Now, the nominees for Best Film Editing are...

The Big Short

Creed

Mad Max: Fury Road

Sicario

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

And the Boffy goes to....

Hidden Content

Okay, can't argue with that. 

With only 7 awards left, we've reached the point of no return. Here are the nominees for Best Original Screenplay.

Bridge of Spies

MATT CHAPMAN, JOEL COEN, ETHAN COEN

Ex Machina

ALEX GARLAND

The Hateful Eight

QUENTIN TARANTINO

Inside Out

PETE DOCTER, MEG LEFAUVE, JOSH COOLEY

Spotlight

TOM MCCARTHY, JOSH SINGER

Spoiler

• Like 15

Just now, Spaghetti said:

With only 7 awards left, we've reached the point of no return. Here are the nominees for Best Original Screenplay.

Bridge of Spies

MATT CHAPMAN, JOEL COEN, ETHAN COEN

Ex Machina

ALEX GARLAND

The Hateful Eight

QUENTIN TARANTINO

Inside Out

PETE DOCTER, MEG LEFAUVE, JOSH COOLEY

Spotlight

TOM MCCARTHY, JOSH SINGER

Hidden Content

Sure. Why not. 

And likewise, Adapted Screenplay.

The Big Short

ADAM MCKAY, CHARLES RANDOLPH

GEORGE MILLER, BRENDAN MCCARTHY, NICK LATHOURIS

The Martian

DREW GODDARD

Room

EMMA DONOGHUE

Steve Jobs

AARON SORKIN

The BOFFY goes to...(Prepare to get mad)....

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

The Big Short

The Martian

DREW GODDARD

Room

EMMA DONOGHUE

Steve Jobs

AARON SORKIN

Hidden Content

NO. NO. 

NO.

NOOOOOOOOOOO

FUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUU GUYS

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

The Big Short

The Martian

DREW GODDARD

Room

EMMA DONOGHUE

Steve Jobs

AARON SORKIN

Hidden Content

:excited:

1 minute ago, GiantCALBears said:

Same with IO but it's not surprising since a lot of the user base skews younger (& more obsessed lol).

Well, Inside Out appealed to kids as much as it appealed to adults.

Edited by Daniel Dylan Davis

Write-Up Number 8!

CREED

creed.jpg

“Your legacy is more than a name

Rocky has been a part of me since I was about 10.  I saw Rocky III in the theaters as my first Rocky film.  I had already seen the other two of course, but it was my first time in theaters.  It was magical.  Then I remember seeing Rocky IV with my mom in Indiana over the holidays.  When Rocky first cuts Drago, my mom yelled and screamed at the movie screen, along with the rest of the theater.  Sylvester Stallone created one of the greatest characters in film history imo and he has stuck with me ever since.  I thought Rocky Balboa was one of the five best films of 2006 and if I had it my way, it would have taken home a lot of Oscar gold.  Now here we are 9 years later and when it was first announced that Creed would be about Apollo's son, I didn't know what to think.  I thought Rocky Balboa was a great way to kind of end the series.  So I had my trepidation about Creed.  Thankfully my fears or my at least my concerns were completely put to rest when I first sat down to watch it in theaters.  Director and writer Ryan Coogler has taken this film in a direction that I didn't think possible.  This is a seventh film, how fresh can you make a movie after this long?  Turns out you can do a lot.  You just have to respect the material.  Coogler said he loved Rocky growing up and he wrote a script that did Rocky right.  His focus was obviously more the Creed character but as we all know by now, Stallone gave maybe his best performance of his career and that is saying something.  More on Coogler in a minute.

Carrying this film is one of the best young actors, Michael B. Jordan.  He embodies the spirit of Apollo Creed and yet is his own person.  When Jordan is on screen, you pay attention.  He is intense and very believable in his role.  I was disappointed he didn't get recognized by the academy this year but this is a seventh film and they don't usually bestow any kind of attention on sequels, let alone sixth sequels.  But Jordan is every bit as good as DiCaprio and Cranston and the rest.

Coogler gave Stallone a lot to work with, but he also wisely listened to Stallone and allowed him to make a few changes.  And why wouldn't he?  This is the man who created Balboa, cultivated him and perfected him.  Maybe a lesser director tries to impose his will and doesn't let Sly do his thing.  Coogler told Sly what he wanted, expressed his vision and then he let Stallone do the rest.  This is an outstanding film and easily one of the best of the year.”

-Baumer

“I'll get this right off the bat, and say this is my favorite movie of the year. My Gawd, This movie made me tear up in two scenes. I was so-so captivated by this movie, especially from the point when Adonis Creed and Rocky Balboa had that confrontation when Donny finds out about Rocky's cancer in Mickey's gym. From that point on, I was on the edge of my seat going through many different emotions. From Excitement, to Sadness, to fear, and even stress. It takes a truly remarkable film and a great directing effort by Ryan Coogler to pull this off. The Martian and Inside Out had great themes, and they are truly great films. Creed is better. The first two acts were definitely at an A level, but the final act is what elevated it for me to my favorite movie of the year. The training scene with Adonis training to fight Conlan, meanwhile Rocky having to fight his cancer, to the press conference scene, to the great fight between Conlan and Adonis Creed. There was so much emotion in the final fight. I was on the edge of my seat until the final buzzer sounded. I loved all the nods to the previous Rocky films as well, but this movie also had a great and original story of its own. Coogler should get nominated for best director, and this movie overall should get nominated for best picture. Do I need to even mention how amazing Sylvester Stallone is good in this? But, he didn't steal the movie, b/c Michael B Jordan was great in his right too. He didn't let Sly walk away with the film. I totally bought Adonis relationship with Tessa Thompson's character too. That was a nice touch. Didn't feel forced.

This is a great movie, and absolutely did justice to the Rocky film franchise. With many great nods to the previous Rocky films while adding something fresh to the franchise. I really liked Rocky Balboa. I thought there was no where else they could take this franchise after Rocky Balboa, I was completely fine with the ending they gave Rocky. Now, I'm hoping they make another film. This is an absolute masterpiece. I couldn't be more happy with it. All aboard the Oscar campaign for Sly Stallone. #TeamStalloscar.”

-FilmBuff

• Like 7