BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

Guys, you need to watch this. Directors from the three biggest frontrunners are on this roundtable.

http://variety.com/video/animation-roundtable-zootopia-sausage-party/

I'm talking about Rich Moore from Zootopia. Travis Knight from Kubo and the Two Strings. Even Michael Dudok de Wit from The Red Turtle.

There are even four other directors from this competitive year. Conrad Vernon from Sausage Party, Mark Osborne from The Little Prince, Mike Mitchell from Trolls and Garth Jennings from Sing.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

I think Zootopia's getting the award season momentum. Even if Oscar voters are lazy, old white people who are indifferent to the medium, they won't just vote for Moana just cause it's the newest, well-reviewed Disney film that's out there at the box office, they'd rather check out winners lists of other critics awards. Almost safe to say it's a done deal now. ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yjs said:

I think Zootopia's getting the award season momentum. Even if Oscar voters are lazy, old white people who are indifferent to the medium, they won't just vote for Moana just cause it's the newest, well-reviewed Disney film that's out there at the box office, they'd rather check out winners lists of other critics awards. Almost safe to say it's a done deal now. ?

I'm not sure that's how it works. Big Hero 6 won relatively few critics' awards, yet it still got the Oscar.

Obviously, the biggest factor in Zootopia's favor is that it's Disney's current favorite.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm not sure that's how it works. Big Hero 6 won relatively few critics' awards, yet it still got the Oscar.

Obviously, the biggest factor in Zootopia's favor is that it's Disney's current favorite.

yeah, but that year The LEGO Movie was the critics' favorite and that wasn't nominated, so.. (HTTYD2 won an Annie even over the Lego Movie but Annie is very Dreamworks-friendly..) 

EDIT: Actually HTTYD 2 did fairly well at the awards season! It also won Golden Globe over the LEGO Movie, and the NBR. 

Edited by yjs

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I actually looked this up today, its awesome. Chris Stuckmann seeing it tomorrow :)

Edited by eXtacy

Well I FINALLY saw Zootopia last month, I think it has a good chance of winning. (Saw it for free on a Disney cruise! Yes something was for free, even if that goes against nothing in life is free, okay the cruise did cost money...)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Promising sign for Your Name:

Runner-up was The Red Turtle.

(cc: @eXtacy, @SchumacherFTW)

Oooh, now this is interesting. This might get a headline on an animation related website, causing Animation Branch members to notice Your Name.

Isn't it wonderful that three different movies have won major critic awards in this category? The other two winners weren't even the runners up here.

Really surprised that The Red Turtle is the runner up, though. Thought it might win.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2016 at 0:22 AM, yjs said:

Zootopia has a much better chance of winning the award, though any film could probably surprise at this point.

• Like 3

Currently on Gold Derby:

http://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert-odds/oscars-nominations-2017/

24 experts have weighed in.

20 of them think Zootopia will get the Animated Feature Oscar.

3 of them think Kubo and the Two Strings will win.

1 of them thinks Sing is the one.

None of them think that Your Name will be nominated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Currently on Gold Derby:

http://www.goldderby.com/odds/expert-odds/oscars-nominations-2017/

24 experts have weighed in.

20 of them think Zootopia will get the Animated Feature Oscar.

3 of them think Kubo and the Two Strings will win.

1 of them thinks Sing is the one.

None of them think that Your Name will be nominated.

Just took a look, none of them are predicting a nomination for My Life as a Zucchini either, and there are eight predicting nominations for Sing and seven for Sausage Party. I don't think this group of experts is paying very close attention to the general pattern of BAF nominations from previous years. For Sing it's also possible they're imagining that the film will turn out to better received that it is actually likely to be. The early average is quite damning but most people without a statistics background underestimate what can be extrapolated from a small sample.

Anyway, Your Name definitely isn't a lock, but the strength of its reviews so far (now buttressed by the Annie nominations and LAFCA win) indicate to me it's among the strongest set of contenders competing for the last couple spots, along with The Red Turtle and My Life as a Zucchini.

• Like 1