BadAtGender

Best Animated Feature - 2016: Zootopia, Moana, Kubo, Zucchini, Red Turtle

Well, I do think Zootopia has this in the bag, but I've been compiling a list of the winners of Best Animated Feature Awards from various local critic associations (ten in total), as well as the NBR, OFCS, CCMAs, Golden Globes, Annies, and BAFTA. I wanted to see if there are any predictive patterns among "precursor awards", since this is the first year I've actually been paying attention. The local critic associations I have data for are the ones with existing Wikipedia tables for Best Animated Feature (for my convenience), the list wasn't intended to be exhaustive.

Here's a table showing how many of each of the awards matched the Oscar for that year. Some of the awards were introduced more recently than 2001, so the total number of awards for each organization is also shown ("N"). I noticed that most of the critic associations were less likely than the Academy to award Disney films, so the table also shows the number of winning Disney films ("Dis.N", at far right) and the number of those that also won the Oscar ("D.Oscar"). I included all Disney-distributed films as "Disney", including Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and Frankenweenie

Award Oscars N D.Oscar Dis.N
NBR 10 15 8 11
NYFCC 5 14 4 8
LAFCA 8* 15 4* 4
WAFCA 11 14 8 9
SFFCC 3 7 2 2
DFWFCA 13 15 9 9
SDFCS 5 13 5 8
TFCA 5 13 3 4
CFCA 6 9 5 6
SLFCA 7 12 7 9
FFCC 11 15 9 10
CCMA 12 15 9 11
OFCS 11 15 8 9
Golden Globes 7 10 7 8
Annies 10 15 7 9
BAFTA 9 10 7 7

*This includes Ratatouille, which was co-awarded along with Persepolis.

Most notable of the above list is the Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association, which has awarded the eventual Oscar winner 13 out of 15 times, with the exceptions being 2012 and 2014. In 2012 only two of the above organizations awarded Brave, and in 2014 none awarded Big Hero 6. The DFWFCA awards for this year will be on December 13. I'm expecting them to award Zootopia, of course.

Here's a table showing each Oscar winner and the number of the above organizations that awarded it as well. The total number of organizations granting the Animated Feature award in each year is shown as "N".

Year Winner Awards N
2001 Shrek 7 8
2002 Spirited Away 8 9
2003 Finding Nemo 8 11
2004 The Incredibles 11 12
2005 Wallace & Gromit 8 11
2006 Happy Feet 6 14
2007 Ratatouille 14* 15
2008 WALL-E 13 15
2009 Up 12 16
2010 Toy Story 3 13 16
2011 Rango 10 15
2012 Brave 2 16
2013 Frozen 9 16
2014 Big Hero 6 0 16
2015 Inside Out 12 16

*This includes the LAFCA Award, which was co-awarded with Persepolis.

Brave and Big Hero 6 are the only Oscar winners where other films were awarded by a greater number of the above organizations. In 2012 ParaNorman received seven awards and Wreck-It Ralph received four. In 2014, The Lego Movie received ten awards, HTTYD2 received three, The Tale of Princess Kayuga received two, and Boxtrolls received one.

A total of 43 different films have been awarded by the above organizations since 2001. Only five of them did not receive at least an Oscar nomination, and only two that received more than one award were not nominated (The Adventures of Tintin and The Lego Movie).

Edited by Jason
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Brave and Big Hero 6 are the only Oscar winners where other films were awarded by a greater number of the above organizations. In 2012 ParaNorman received seven awards and Wreck-It Ralph received four. In 2014, The Lego Movie received ten awards, HTTY2 received three, The Tale of Princess Kayuga received two, and Boxtrolls received one.

This might happen again in 2016. Kubo and the Two Strings is popular with the critics.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

This might happen again in 2016. Kubo and the Two Strings is popular with the critics.

It might, but I'm guessing that Zootopia will end up with a total number of around 7-9 awards from the above list. Around 2-4 more from the eight remaining local critic associations, plus the CCMAs, Golden Globes, Annies, and BAFTA (which all tend to be more populist). My guess for Kubo is a total of around 4-7 awards, with 2-5 more from the local critic associations.

The upcoming awards from the above list that I'm aware of are the SFFCC and CCMAs this Sunday, and the DFWFCA on Tuesday. I'm predicting that the SFFCC will choose Kubo but the others will go for Zootopia.

45 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

I'm not sure Kubo is out of the running yet, especially if it gets more critical support. But yeah, Zootopia is definitely the front runner. 

If Kubo does win the Oscar, the awards plunder was split this year like no other.

But I wouldn't bet on it, given the Disney bias, and knowing that voters aren't required to watch all of the movies they vote on.

• Like 3

Given the past history of Oscar voting, I think a surprise Moana win is still more likely than Kubo. That's not a knock on Kubo, it's just that the strength of ParaNorman's support among critics in 2012 (it won among a majority of local critic associations) wasn't enough to get it past Brave.

• Like 1

Just now, Jason said:

Given the past history of Oscar voting, I think a surprise Moana win is still more likely than Kubo. That's not a knock on Kubo, it's just that the strength of ParaNorman's support among critics in 2012 (it won among a majority of local critic associations) wasn't enough to get it past Brave.

I was about to disagree, but then you pointed out Brave.

As a separate note, I don't think anyone in the Academy outside of one branch gives a fuck if an animation studio is overdue for an Oscar.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cannastop said:

I was about to disagree, but then you pointed out Brave.

As a separate note, I don't think anyone in the Academy outside of one branch gives a fuck if an animation studio is overdue for an Oscar.

There would need to be some hardcore championing from prominent people in the industry in order for an effort from a smaller studio to win, I think. But it seems like the animation branch has collectively taken the view that so long as they're nominating these smaller films, that's good enough.

And, really, it might just be. We may want to adjust our view that the more important thing for a film is getting a nomination, not the win, just because the apparent criteria for each are so different. 

Nomination: needs extremely high technical achievement and (probably) critical praise.

Win: needs to be something the voter has heard of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Nomination: needs extremely high technical achievement and (probably) critical praise.

Needs to be a well-recieved American production or from a "credible" independent or foreign source.

I think one of the reasons why The Lego Movie got snubbed was because few people in the Branch knew someone who worked on it.

52 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Needs to be a well-recieved American production or from a "credible" independent or foreign source.

I think one of the reasons why The Lego Movie got snubbed was because few people in the Branch knew someone who worked on it.

Boy and the World getting a nom would disagree. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CelestialFairyIX said:

To be placed on the AFI's list of "Movies of the Year" is a great honor for Zootopia.  Only 11 animated features since 2000 have been placed on the list! :D 

Oh shit. You just got me to look hard at all of the lists.

I didn't realize that there were two animated movies awarded in 2009. Coraline and Up.

I've been posting misinformation.

Edited by cannastop